any other vegans/vegetarians? - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > World Food/Drink
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

World Food/Drink It's Happy Hour! Cheap eats! Favorite restaurants and pubs! Stop by the Travel PUNK watering hole to post your tips or ask questions regarding anything food or drink related....

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-28-2004, 12:01 PM   #21
Members

Location: From Vancouver, Canada but living in Nottingham, UK
Send a message via MSN to starpiste Send a message via Yahoo to starpiste

I didn't want my post to come off as an attack at all because I didn't think Bellelass was attacking me or any vegetarians who are also reasonable people. I gues I feel the need to explain sometimes because I do get lots of questions from people.

In another way, I've met meat eaters who are really picky and when we're out at restaurants are terrible to be with or when travelling always want to eat what they are used to. I think it's more about attitude to food/new cultures than about what foods you will or won't eat.

glorious day, I have one four occasions had meat when I wasn't expecting to,twice when restaurants made the food wrong and twice when I was drunk and I grabbed food in the dark. Both times I realized after one bite because I could taste it. I stopped eating immediately and had a big glass of water. Where it was appropriate to, I spit the food out as well. I moved on, because what else could I do. However, if I was at someones house and they offered me something with meat I wouldn't eat it. Not becasue I have beliefs or convictions, but because I wouldn't be able to physically do it. To me, that would create more of a scene than politely saying no, explaining why, and assuring them not to fuss, especially if I couldn't tell them in advance about it. I never crave meat, so I never feel like I'm being limited or missing out. I also don't care if someone else else meat and wants to eat it at every meal.

so ya. ummm...back to the fun.
starpiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 12:09 PM   #22
Yoda

Quote:
Originally posted by starpiste@Oct 28 2004, 07:01 PM
However, if I was at someones house and they offered me something with meat I wouldn't eat it. Not becasue I have beliefs or convictions, but because I wouldn't be able to physically do it.
I'm the same way with anything that has ever touched (much less included as a main ingredient) mayonnaise.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:10 PM   #23
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Quote:
I'm the same way with anything that has ever touched (much less included as a main ingredient) mayonnaise.
Funny.. I've touched mayonnaise, but you'd still...

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 10:33 PM   #24
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

yea hey wait a tic... me too... jeanie whats it gonna be, making love to me or omi or you hate for mayo?

Old 10-29-2004, 09:26 AM   #25
Yoda

Quote:
Funny.. I've touched mayonnaise, but you'd still...*
Some rules are meant to be broken, right?
Old 10-29-2004, 10:51 AM   #26
I'll rock your socks off

Jake! You cant have TWO tp chicks!

heheh

one is more than enough for any man. B)
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:03 AM   #27
Yoda

's okay. Jake knows I'd be the death of him, it's just wishful thinking on his part.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:05 PM   #28
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Quote:
Originally posted by space virgin@Oct 29 2004, 11:03 AM
's okay.* Jake knows I'd be the death of him, it's just wishful thinking on his part.* * *
tru dat
Old 10-29-2004, 05:04 PM   #29
Members

I was vegetarian for three years, but I started eating meat because we were going to Spain and Germany, and I was really unsure about the availability of veggie options (particularly because the meals we got in the evenings were bought for us by the tour company guys and I didn't want to make it a repeated hassle. I currently eat meat, just because I got into the habit, but I'm thinking of cutting way, way back at semester, because I don't like the effect it seems to have had on my body, and I think being on the swim team can counteract smoking or eating bad food, but not both.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:48 PM   #30
TPunk Recognized

I have somewhat of a dilema that I'm not sure what to do about.

I am currently vegetarian, (cheese and chocolate, but no eggs, seafood or meat). I've been this way for so long I dont actually know what meat tastes like anymore, so if i get served anything unusual I always ask a friend (normally wyzfen) if its meat or not.

Anyway my problem is should i accept foods that may have some small proportion of eggs in them? (otherwise it means no pasta, no pastries, no crossionts ( ) and no syrup waffles . and what do i do about foods that i buy of the street that dont have a list of ingredients?

this is really bugging me cos i dont even know why I'm veggie anymore. I think its cos i dont agree with some of the stuff they do to animals when theyre fattening them up ( the cows eating dead cow thing, and all the drugs they put in it and the living cnditions).

Has anyone been through something similar and can maybe help?

cheers
confused zylah

zylah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 04:48 AM   #31
Members

Location: From Vancouver, Canada but living in Nottingham, UK
Send a message via MSN to starpiste Send a message via Yahoo to starpiste

I think you have to decide if you want to eat those things. And if you do try it once and see how it goes. If you like it and feel good about it do it again. I think there can be a point where depriving ourselves for the sake of animals no longer becomes good for us.

I would take meat eating (as opposed to eggs) really slowly at first though. Our body's adjust to not eating it and sometimes might be a little shocked if you haven't eaten meat in a long time and then start eating a lot of it. May not be the case for you, but might be.
starpiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #32
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

wow! pretty serious topic! well, as for belle's story, i'm with you that that girl didn't have to throw such a fuss all the time, i mean...hello, there a grocery stores everywhere! get some produce to carry around. i mean, i really wish that more resturrants were more reilable about not putting meat in stuff or cutting veggies on surfaces that they didn't just cut up some cooked meat on, but really, it's not going to happen. i would almost guarantee that there will be some kind of meat something in everything you order. so, yeah, if she's willing to starve herself for her beliefs, then how hard is it to go to the grocery store and get something you know doesn't contain meat and let all those dirty meat eater enjoy the rich culture they spent alot of time and MONEY to go experience. i mean, i truely think that we, as humans, are not suppose to eat meat, and i'm glad to see that there are more and more vegetarians in the world and they are all opening restuarants and grocery stores and trying to educate people about how your body processes animal products and it's harmful results...but who was it that said in this post "i just thinks it's wrong to put people down for their beliefs." yeah, well the majority of the population believes it's perfectly okay to eat meat. sad but true.

wow, what a rant. see, this is the reason i stay out of politics, too much needless stress and pointless worring. i think we need a joke to lighten this crowd up...

a pirate walks into a bar with a steering wheel hanging out of the zipper of his pants and sits down at the bar. the bartender says "ah, hey, pirate, are you aware that you have a steering wheel hanging out of your pants?" to which the pirate replies, "YAR! it's driving me nuts!"

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote