Europe must see - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Where Do I Go?
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Where Do I Go? Mind Melting? Brain Banging? Can't decide where in the world you wanna go? This forum is for you...
The T-Punk crew will send you in the right direction!!!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #1
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake
Default Europe must see

If you've done the route over there share your must sees with those getting ready to go!!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

my must-see for Germany is the Rhinelands for sure. Everyone wants to hit up Berlin and Munich (and that's awesome, I hear Berlin is awesome, and Munich is fucking amazing) but take some time out for those cities along the Rhine, ESPECIALLY Heidelberg. Every person who goes to Germany I tell them about Heidelberg because I randomly showed up on my own one Sunday morning via rail, and not only was the rail from Koln to Heidelberg the most beautiful thing EVER, the city itself was just the coolest place I've ever been to, hands-down.

Other Rhine cities to check out: Koln (don't spend more than 1 night here, not a whole lot to do), Dusseldorf, Mainz (didn't get to here, but passed through and wished I would have gotten off the train, cos it looked gorgeous!)

Dusseldorf is a nice day trip from Koln if you spend more than 1 night in Koln. It's like 20 minutes via rail if I remember correctly.

Also see Stuttgart. It was super cool. Not on the Rhine but very cool indeed. As was Dortmund.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

oh hell, then my must-see for Spain....

everyone wants to hit up the Madrid/Barcelona duo and that's totally on point, cos both are AMAZING, but also, I HIGHLY recommend Valencia, which is my favorite place in Europe, next to Heidelberg. It's SOOOOOOO beautiful!!!! And do have some paella while you're there... I could die at how great it is. Valencia is an easy rail ride away from both Barcelona and Valencia. The beaches rock (crowed in the summer though), there is a park in the middle of the city (a river used to run through Valencia and they re-routed it and put a sweet park in it's place... this might be untrue, but it's what my Spanish teacher said when we went there many moons ago hahahaha). SO much to do.

Another city to see is Toledo, which is a bit south of Madrid, so a very easy day trip from Madrid (30 min via rail, and 14 euros round trip if you aren't using a rail pass). It's a very old looking city, very beautiful. Streets are cobblestone in some neighborhoods. Very cool place.

I'm big on seeing the big city must-sees in a country but also doing some smaller, less-appreciated cities, for some perspective for sure.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Amsterdam and Prague stand out as amazing looking cities. They're just so different from the norm.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:44 PM   #5
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJake View Post
If you've done the route over there share your must sees with those getting ready to go!!
What's this supposed to mean? You heading over to Europe?
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #6
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

I figured he meant it for the folks that are going over for the first time this summer.

Either way, most of Europe is can't miss.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelpunk View Post
What's this supposed to mean? You heading over to Europe?

Yeah Jake, you everrrrr gonna get yo ass to the EU??!!!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Well, a nice day trip out of Madrid or actually not even a day trip really, is Segovia. It's a small town but they have a spectacular countryside and allegedly one of the disney castles was modeled after the castle there. Awesome little place for a quick trip!
BedtimeontheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #9
TPunk Moderator

BUDAPEST! BUDAPEST! BUDAPEST! This city has everything you could ever want in one place!

Belgrade - awesome nightlife
Krakow - a bit touristy but a great, gorgeous place to relax for a few days
Lviv and Ukraine - cheap, relatively undiscovered, nice people
Russia - hello! its Russia!

Seriously if you only go one place this summer...BUDAPEST!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #10

Yeah I agree with joe7f, Europe is soo beautiful, that its hard to miss out seeing it completely, provided you have ample time!
unique07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

Berlin is the best city ever - I could spend days in tiergarten. in the summer, Kastanienallee is great to get a nice meal outside and people-watch.
Also in germany, Rostock is a lovely old coastal city on the edge of the baltic sea. It's really pretty and kind of quiet, but there's a big university there so there's enough nightlife and stuff to entertain you!
I really liked Warsaw and there's a park on the edge of the city centre with lots on outdoor bars in the middle, really great atmosphere
Venice in winter is really beautiful. I haven't been in summer but I'm sure it's just as nice then, just much more crowded
I think the best way to see italy is to rent a car and drive between all the little villages - there are far to many amazing old villages in italy for me to name here.
If you're in the south of france, we found a really pretty town called Menton - we liked it much better than Nice.
as lizz said, Budapest is really great

oops I'm gonna be late to uni, will continue this later.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:03 AM   #12

How about London?!- Yes, it's touristy, but I have visited that city so many times in the past 5 years, and there is plenty to do in the none touristy parts. The first few trips there I even refused to pay to go into Westminster, on the Eye, or in the Tower of London. There is enough to do for free! Only problem: Expensive as hell. A pint for 5 pounds is kind of ridiculous.

The Cinque Terre, Italy.- Very cool for hiking, swimming, laying about, drinking nice wine and having a great italian meal.

Istanbul, Turkey- Enough said, I love it. Good food, good people, good views, good weather. Huge cosmopolitan city with loads of history. And there are enough impressive mosques that there is no way you can visit them all! (Some people say it's Europe, some don't either way, it's great)

Trier and the Mosel river valley in Germany- It's full of Roman ruins and it's Germany's main wine producing region. Gorgeous and because Germany can't waste it's time producing cheap table wine, it's always really good stuff!
Old 06-24-2010, 11:48 AM   #13

In Italy, there is a small pizza restaraunt called Amelia's with the best pizza in the world.
Cheer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #14
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

honestly I don't think I ever looked at this thread again after I started it
I'm all about everything but europe still! Someday I'll get there, maybe when I retire
Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #15
TP Ghost

Send a message via AIM to agriadam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheer123 View Post
In Italy, there is a small pizza restaraunt called Amelia's with the best pizza in the world.
In Italy? Any more information on that one?

“Life is too short to spend it doing something you don't like... if your passion is selling surfboards by the sea, then that is where you should be.”
-My Dad

"Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria's mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once."
-Anthony Bourdain

“If you can imagine a man having a vasectomy without anesthetic to the sound of frantic sitar-playing, you will have some idea what popular Turkish music is like.”
-Bill Bryson

"The older I get the less likely I feel I will ever figure my life out... I think that might be okay though"
-Me
agriadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #16
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mooloo

^ Don't you know Amelias?! Its like THE pizza place in Italy :P

Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

---------------------------------------------------------------
My World Travelogue - Bloggity Blog
Updated April 2010!
--------------------------------------------------
Soon
NZ or OZ
Saving for a year - 18 months for a decent trip

Soonest
Trying my hand at short walks/tramps in NZ
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
mooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:25 PM   #17
lover of Germany

Can't belive I never replied to this-well for me its Berlin I agree with Aliz its the best city in the world in many ways.
Great food? Check. Great buildings? Check. Great museams? Check. Great scenery? Check. Lots of intresting history? Check check and double check. But its not just Berlin Leipzig is nice and intresting too aw heck, I love Germany!

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote