EXTREME shyness - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Traveling Alone or Family Travel
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Traveling Alone or Family Travel Whether you want to travel alone, or travel with the kids, parents, or granny, this forum is for you!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-01-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
Members

Well I'm sure this has all been heard before, but I am an extremely shy person about to go backpacking alone. Just wondering, how friendly are people in hostels?

I always get extremely nervous and sweaty when talking to people I don't know (although apparently I hide this well). I hoping this trip will force me to get over myself and be more outgoing and assertive!
I guess I'm just worried that I won't meet anyone. i absolutely cannot go up to people and start a convo, its too nervewracking for me. Unless I'm slightly tipsy, and I'm contemplating just carrying a flask with some hard liquor to take a swig out of every now and then haha. :P
So if theres a comforting word out there i'd appreciate it, and maybe any inspiring stories from homebodies who blossomed on their travels or something. Thanks!

Talk Nrrdy to me.

If being normal is thinking there's something wrong about being different then I'd rather be completely fucking mental.
-angelina jolie
CellophaneGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:53 PM   #2
Yoda

Don't worry-- if other travellers in hostels can't pull you out of your shell, no one will! Don't freak out about trying to put too much effort in ditching the shyness, just let it flow naturally. I guarantee you'll make a bunch of new friends.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:53 PM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Talking

^^ I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised by EU and global culture. People there tend to be far more independent, looking to mingle and friendly with strangers. It's not like here where people travel in packs and look at you funny if you randomly try talking to them. There's less underlying hostility, defensiveness and snootiness overall, IMO. And backpackers in general will all be in the same boat as you - so even easier to befriend! Just stand tall, walk tall and have fun, kiddo!

If all else fails, be sure to carry a lighter and a small bag of nuts to "feed the animals" with.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I may be a bit of a nutjob, but I'm actually very shy and reserved in person - at first. I notice my shyness isn't as bad anymore, and it directly coincides with travel. Ever since I started traveling on my own a few years ago, I've come out of my shell. Something about being in another land w/ different cultures and social norms will set you loose... And following what SV said, if you don't do it on your own, the other 'packers will do it to ya!

If I start partying w/ some people at a hostel and see someone who looks like they'd like to join in but seems too shy, we'll invite them over and give 'em a few drinks. Seems to do the trick!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by CellophaneGirl@Mar 1 2005, 03:23 PM
Unless I'm slightly tipsy, and I'm contemplating just carrying a flask with some hard liquor to take a swig out of every now and then haha.* :P
Sounds like a the true backpacking spirit!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Nope. Sorry. You're screwed.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #7
Members

Cool

Thanks everyone! If I meet people half as nice as you I'll be fine! =)

Do people tend to keep in good touch afterwards? As pen pals or something?

Talk Nrrdy to me.

If being normal is thinking there's something wrong about being different then I'd rather be completely fucking mental.
-angelina jolie
Old 03-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

please excuse jake hes about as juch help as a cold sore Anyways, I kinda had the same problem Im not shy aorund my friends but I always thought it hard to go and start up a convo with people just like that, but then I was over there and I realized everyone is in the same boat, they wanna meet you as much as you wanna meet them, so I tried it one day I saw a guy eating alone and I went up there and saked if I could join asked him where he was from and I ended up traveling with him and his girlfriend and they are now some of the best friends I have even though they live in Europe and I live here. when your out drinkin and in the backpacker bars especialyl its just too easy to meet someone seriously all you do is say hi where you from and its on! You'll never get anyone to tell you to piss off it just wont happen, besides your a lady so Im sure your gonna have more people apporaching you then you want at times! Have fun dont worry and remeber if it dosnt work out with that person......you'll never see them again!
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:45 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

Hi everyone.
I'm extremly shy until the ice is broken. I always say that I have slight agoriphobia ( fear of crowds, an being in public alone). It used to be so bad that I wouldn't even go to the mall alone. Now that's pathetic!lol.
I'm packing europe alone as well, and am going to concur the shy problem as well.
So if I have no problem, then you should be fine.
My only concern is that I can see myself at a museum going "yay, now what?" Lol. I have a short attention span and need people around to keep me busy. Maybe I'll bump in to you over there and we'll see if we're still shy after travelling for a bit.

Teri

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

Hey! Like everyone else said, you will be fine.

And really, the fact that you would even go on a major trip like this by yourself shows you are really adventurous and probably much more outgoing than you give yourself credit for!!!!! Seriously, I know people who wouldn't go 3 hours away by themselves

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 09:47 PM   #11
Members

Teri--we could definitely meet up! I'll be there from about May 15 to mid July, the last month I'll be in London and going around the UK.

Thanks again everyone! I've been dying to get out and travel, I'm finally going to live a dream! Well I've traveled before but only with family. Being alone, I'll be able to take in a lot more! :D

Talk Nrrdy to me.

-angelina jolie
Old 03-03-2005, 01:24 AM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Go for it mate... Your going to have the time of your life.

Im excited for you, and im stuck down here in the bottom of oz...

Go and get 'em tiger...

Leeroy

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 09:24 AM   #13
Members

Ohhh but I would LOVE to go to Oz! You're very lucky! =)

I have two uncles that live in Adelaide, are you from there?

Next year I'm hoping to make it down to Oz and New Zealand *crosses fingers*

Talk Nrrdy to me.

-angelina jolie
Old 03-03-2005, 04:30 PM   #14
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to TERI

Cello--g; lol sorry.
Yeah dude, I land in London July 1st. Then I'm touring in Ireland,Scotland, and Britain for probably half of July, then im heading south. So we can for sure meet up.

urple\'> "Wanna feel the warm breeze, sleep under a palm tree, feel the rush of the ocean."
"...Get aboard a fast train, travel on a damn plane."
" Take a Risk, Take a chance, Make a change!"--- Break away. Kelly Clarkson (lol)
TERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:34 AM   #15
TPunk Recognized

Im closer to melbourne... Adelaide is a nice little city but.

Sooo, cum visit and stuff when your down this way...

Leeroy

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:30 PM   #16
TPunk Recognized

You will be totaly fine, i was on my own all summer although im not sure as im sure a few will tell you, i did notice there are so many people on there own and lets face it everyone wants to talk and you will have so much in common with loads of them don't worry it will be great.
butterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 07:39 AM   #17
Members

actually leeroy its ok..you can be honest. i talked to someone from sydney and they described adelaide as a shit hole. haha. not sure if its true...i went there once when i was a toddler. but i hope i'll be able to take you up on that! any time in particular when the flight costs are lowest?

glad i asked this, really feel better, i guess i had no idea so many people are over there alone as well!

Talk Nrrdy to me.

-angelina jolie
Old 04-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #18
Members

CellophaneGirl, you sound a lot less shyer than i am.

I am thinking of going somewhere in the world alone for the first time (backpacking). I'm thinking about USA (New York) maybe?....

I'm out to discover myself more than anything...

It's very encouraging to hear all the positive postings on this board and it took courage alone just to post this message.

What would be the best place to backpack for the first time ever, for a shy and not so confident person?

Is USA really the place to go first? i don't know?

But this forum has enforced why i need to backpack alone. I owe it to myself and get out there and live life.

But where to go?
what to do when i get there?
how do i travel?
how do i even start?
and most important what to avoid?

i live in London , my heart says go my mind says what if and where?.......
But no matter what.... im gonna go for it one way or the other, (backpacking that is.....)

Any help will be most appreciated.
I can't just sit back and say what if i had travelled... I'd like to say "i have travelled and it was great!" and... "Whens the next trip?"
elmothegreat11@aol.com
im not so great, it's just an email address

Treat others as you would wish to be treated youself....
Life is not a game, it's a experience and more... Experience and live life as much as possible!
Elmo! is offline   Reply With Quote