Age limit for backpacking - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Traveling Alone or Family Travel
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Traveling Alone or Family Travel Whether you want to travel alone, or travel with the kids, parents, or granny, this forum is for you!

View Poll Results: Is a 17 y.o too young?
No 23 17.42%
Yes, if a trvelling solo female 18 13.64%
No/Yes, depends on maturity and common sense 88 66.67%
other 3 2.27%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-23-2006, 04:57 PM   #21
Drifter in the making.

I've always told people that even though I leave my home alone... i'm rarely alone while travelling... you always meet people and end up hanging out... then head off on your way when you get bored of them or want to go in a different direction.... I'm rarely by myself though when I travel.. but I always leave my home alone

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:05 AM   #22

I'm just about 18 and have had many solo adventures in Europe for a few days. I definitely think its safe for you to do this, although it may get lonely every once in awhile. I'm positive you'll meet some people, but there may be some days you will be alone. Its really up to how outgoing you are and how you feel being alone sometime.

McHopsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 10:27 AM   #23
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Having been set loose in Guatemala City at age 8 with my 9 year old sister, and having a blast, I can say that it really depends on your destination, in part...

All in all, there's risk to living, and as a parent, I gotta get used to the idea that my kids will have to face those risks without me, eventually....

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 07:57 PM   #24
T-PUNK RANGER

I left home a few months ago and im only seventeen. leaving home isnt something you need your mothers permission for, and i dont think it would stop me from visiting some place if my parents told me not to. i cant wait to visit europe in the summer and im sure my parents would support any decision i chose to make.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:24 PM   #25
Members

Send a message via MSN to twisted_tbar

I know this guy who's 25 and looks like he's 16 and acts like it too I agree with LFB, some packpacker friendly countries would defenitely help ease the process of adaptaion, my first itinerary has one or two english speaking coutries to start off with like Brit Isles or Az and NZ.
If I were to care about every scenario that could go wrong in my life, I would never step out of my house and I'm a magnet for some unfortunate events (2 cars crashes in less than 6 months that weren't my fault! )
Old 04-02-2006, 10:20 PM   #26
Members

going backpacking will also make you more mature in my opinion.
Old 04-18-2006, 02:33 AM   #27
Members

Send a message via MSN to Kiwi_Taylor

Man 17 isnt too young. I'm backpacking around Europe next year in July on my own and I would only just have turned 18 . I think that it fully depends on the person, and there experiences. Thats what I rekon anyway
Kiwi_Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:02 PM   #28
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

i went on my first trip to costa rica for two weeks in 1997 right before i turned 13. Granted it was a mission trip thing so even though i didnt know anyone i was always in a group. But since then i can't count the times i've left home for extended periods of time on my own.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:23 AM   #29
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

my friend and I are both backpacking europe this year and we decided we should travel together at some point so we are going to russia but the tour we are going on (we thought it might be best to do an organised tour to make visa-getting easier) requires that we filled in all these forms saying that I will be the guardian of my friend and i will be responsible for him the whole time, cause i'll be 19 by then and his 18th birthday is one week AFTER we do the tour... so he's a minor in their eyes
Old 04-25-2006, 03:04 AM   #30
Members

Send a message via MSN to Kiwi_Taylor

Are their age limits for staying in backpacker hostels?
Kiwi_Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 07:45 AM   #31
Members

Send a message via AIM to RootBrewskies

i depends somewhat on the traveler. traveling alone can really help you mature quickly and it improves your people skills, etc. at the same time you have to be somewhat careful because some 17 year olds just arent mature enough to handle the responsibility or freedom of being alone and in a foreign place for an extended period of time.

you also have to watch out cause some hostels have that age limit so u have to be 18+, although i imagine most places would make exceptions. all in all, it depends on the person but if they think they are ready then they probably are. when i turned 17 left for spain for a year. i have never been so scared in my life but it ended up being the best experience of my life. i spent alot of time traveling, i matured and experienced things that most adults that i talk to now still are clueless about. it can be a scary experience and can lead to some lonely nights for the first few weeks depending on the person but it can also be extremely rewarding. i came home a year later a totally different person, as the experience changed me more than any other trip, and i credit it to my age. if i took the same trip at 21 or 22 it would have effected me but not as much.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #32
Members

Send a message via AIM to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via MSN to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_VeeeNoM

Dude why Aladin? Other than that, no dude 17 is not a bad age to start, I started way before that but that is me and every one is diff and everyone has to build it's own path to find it's rightful place or momentum. (shit I hate when I get super-philo) well just chill do as Indie said never be rude never be negativenever be unpolite never be the one with the bad face cause hey even in the worse moments you are still alive and if you die well I guess that would suck but hey you died in adventure so no shame on that! See be positive and remember you'll never win the lottery if you never buy a ticket.

Have fun and bounce the hell out! Do your thing but don't be burning bridges.
And if you need some advize PM me anytime I will try to get back at anyone as soon as I can.

And no if it's something serious I turn the jokes down.

Godspeed.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #33
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

My take on it is this: if you think you are mature enough to handle being by yourself, understand how money works, know what to do in certain situations, being responsible for your health and safety, etc, then go for it. I don't think I could of done it when I was 17 for many reasons. I think I could of done it when I was 19 after having dranked my way out of school (I returned to school the next year) and I wish I had because backpacking seems to be a way to mature and know the world.

You seem hesitant about doing it right now, hence the question. If you want to wait and go when you are 18, set a time for your departure and go. At your age a year seems like a long time, but when you are older, it doesn't.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #34
Members

Send a message via AIM to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via MSN to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_VeeeNoM

Dude I still don't get the entire "money works" (I'm a total shop-A-holic)
Now on the drinking note, who cares! I've been sober for too long, tonight I drink to the beay of Artic Monkeys!
Old 09-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to glitterhairdye

I posted on this a long ass time ago and here's an update:
Backpacking solo at 17 was amazing, I don't think it could have been any better (except for a few really hungover mornings) and I'm so glad I did it. It was the perfect age and people were cnstantly looking out for me or helping me out because of my age and the fact I was alone. I met very few 17 yr olds ( no soon to be seniors in high school) and one 16 yr old who was with her 20 yr old boyfriend. I'm going back in 3 months alone again, about the same length of time and I'll still be 17. So for me, it was the perfect age...
Then again, I'm also really cheap and I only spent like 600 euros in 23 days. lol
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:13 AM   #36
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

That's awesome girl!

This place has sections like a photo gallery and a travel blog, you should post your experiences online here! Share with others, perhaps convincing someone else who's on the fence about going it alone to take the leap!!

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:14 PM   #37
Members

Thank goodness for this thread, lol. I'm a 16 year old girl and I've always, ALWAYS wanted to travel, especially around Europe. I'm aiming for next year, that I get to actually do it, preferrably alone (especially after reading countless threads here on TP). However, the PARENTAL UNIT isn't exactly too keen on my leaving...especially alone. So yeah, here's to hoping it all works out. And to those (especially those around my age who actually got to do it already....lucky $%^$!!!!!!
xxkissbangxx is offline   Reply With Quote