Travel Insurance - Please Post Your Experiences - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Travel Formalities
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Travel Formalities #@&##@ ! Paperwork, paperwork ! Help me out !

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick
Default Travel Insurance - Please Post Your Experiences

Can those of you that have had to make a claim during any of your travels please post your opinions of the insurance company? I'm planning a trip through SE Asia and China, Nepal, and India, and I'd really like to know that I can trust my insurance policy without a huge headache. So any advice?
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:59 PM   #2
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

i bought insurance off the one on the main site. Paid like 150 or something for 2 months I think. Never had to use it but glad I had it in case.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
Admin

They're all pretty straight forward with their coverage. I haven't heard of anyone getting scammed or having a hard time with their insurance provider, yet.

I have purchased it multiple times for 3 months at a time when my, then girlfriend would visit me. Now, she's with Blue Cross

Peace of mind. That's all I'm saying...
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
Yoda

Don't leave home without it.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #5
french touch

I bought a 12 month insurance with Blue Cross for about $500, but this low price was partly because I already had a plan with them through my work.

And this insurance saved me over $4000 : I had to be sent home emergency for health problems ! So they paid the flight and the foreign medical services.

The flight insurance I had contracted with STA travel when buying the ticket, got me to have the unused part of the ticket reimbursed, so another $750 in my pocket.

As Tony said, peace of mind...

By the way, another tip on the side : during your travel in Asia, think of contacting the embassy if you have any sort of trouble. For health matter, they will give you adresses of hospitals or clinic where "safe" care are given...

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:36 PM   #6
Members

And make sure you know the policy. I was supposed to go to Thailand last summer, and I had the trip covered by World Nomads. However, I was in Florida on temporary duty, and our flight back to Denver (where I was going to catch my flight to Bangkok) was delayed, thereby causing me to miss my flight to Thailand. Sure, the policy had coverage for flight cancellation...but the connecting flight had to be delayed over 24 hrs, according to fine print. My flight was delayed by about 18, and while it still caused me to miss my flight to Thailand, I never got a penny back.

Don't be that guy/girl :D
Jennybeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:58 AM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

Okay, I just bought a 4 month policy from Travel Guard, I customized the policy, I'll spare you the boring details, but $244.18 for a pretty hefty package.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:26 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

^$244 for piece of mind is well worth it!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
Admin

Agreed. Good job, bro .
Old 04-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
TPunk Recognized

DONT GET WORLD NOMADS!!!!!

Misschick and I had it for our trips. Luckily the only times we had to use it abroad was in London, so it was free anyhow.

But then when we both got back here to Colorado, misschick had to go see a doctor. Taking out a contact lense she scratched her cornea. So we first went to the emergency room here first. She was looked at, they gave her a prescription, then referred her to an eye doctor. They also took the world nomad insurnace and let her go. So then we went to the eye doctor and they did whatever they do (forgot it was almost a year ago). Then Misschick decided to pay for that out of pocket (it was fairly cheap) and get reimbursed by World Nomad.

Now over a year later, Misschick has neither been reimbursed, or her emergency room been paid. In fact she is getting HUGE bills, because World Nomad is saying that they will only cover it if your PRIMARY doesnt cover it. So she has Canadian health that WILL NOT cover it, and world nomad is saying right now that they WILL NOT cover it.

So, if they only cover it if your primary wont, then why would you buy from them? What good is it to have a secondary health provider? Dont buy from them, you get the jerk around!
Slacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:58 AM   #11
Immigrating? Easy? Right.

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05

Good to know, thanks!

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
"As long as we have memories of the ones we love, we will always be home" - me
Claudette
Go Gators!
indierock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #12
Admin

Are they saying that this type of operation was not in their coverage or wasn't travel related?

What was their actual rebuttal?
Old 04-12-2007, 01:16 PM   #13
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to MissChick Send a message via MSN to MissChick

they are saying that i need to provide proof that my primary health insurer won't cover it before they will....all this comes like 8 months later....i'm not even sure who i should get ahold of and where for ontario health insurance....any ideas??

MissChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
Resident Junglist

Send a message via MSN to buzzingtalk

ive never bought health insurance am considering it for this year, but most times ive travelled ive been around my dads so i know he could help. a few years ago in KL i got really sick, my legs swelled up and i couldnt walk, so my dad took me to his local doctor, who prescribed me antibiotics and so on and i was fine. i am only considering it as ill be away from my dads in KL for a good 5 weeks or so, and ill be in new places. anyone know the best place to start??

i also think its important to highlight how good it is to have your vacinnations before you leave - thats one thing i am funny about, ive had nearly all the jabs a local or traveller needs. if you cant afford weird ones like rabies in your home country, find out if you can have it at your destination, i am having mine this summer for MUCH cheaper than it is in the UK (its £120 here, at my dads it will cost pennies)
buzzingtalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:44 AM   #15
The " ... " queen of TP!

Gah!! Trying to choose health insurance is BRUTAL....it's so difficult to decide...there's so many!! I went to my local travel agent and they recommended RBC which will be $508 for the 8 months or so I'll likely be in South Africa....Any other Canadian recommendations before I put in the investment? My travel doc recommended SOS? Anyone ever used either of these companies?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:57 AM   #16
Rabidly Xenophilic

I thought rabies vaccine was really painful? Maybe it's just what they give you when you may already have it that is painful...

I was traveling with a German girl earlier this year and she said her travel insurance was 7 euros per year. Seemed hard to believe!
Old 11-14-2007, 10:24 AM   #17
french touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_angelic View Post
Gah!! Trying to choose health insurance is BRUTAL....
I can recall...

Have you tried Blue Cross ? They had the best plan in my case, but that was for a whole year.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 01:14 PM   #18
TPunk Recognized

I had World Nomads for my last trip. I actually did go to a doctor once, but never got around to filing the claim when I got back. I assume they would have paid it, but it was only like a 100 euros, so it wasn't a big deal.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #19
TPunk Recognized

woah, 100 euros I would have claimed, the two times I've been to a doctor abroad came to like $10 each though so that really wasn't worth claiming. The one time I really did need my insurance they paid out without too much hassle; they bought me a flight home which came to about £650. It took 5 or 6 days from when I first rang them until I was on a plane, but that was mostly due to the difficulty in communicating with them due to the poor telephone connections and lack of direct flights.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 PM   #20
The " ... " queen of TP!

^ who did you use?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote