experience with bringing "big" SLR camera - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Technology Inc.
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Technology Inc. Go-Go-Gadget Arm! All things from the 21st century that are suppose to make our trips and lives a little easier

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #1
Members

I'm debating whether to bring a "big" SLR camera or just stick with a small point and shoot.

has anybody actually brought a SLR with them while backpacking through europe? would you do it again?

thanks
Old 11-06-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

i took a SLR when i went to vietnam and cambodia and it was the biggest pain in the ass i could of had.. i will be takin a smaller digital camera for my next trip

respect relatiiiiiive

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 11:10 PM   #3
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by chelseafc05@Nov 7 2005, 12:02 AM
i took a SLR when i went to vietnam and cambodia and it was the biggest pain in the ass i could of had.. i will be takin a smaller digital camera for my next trip

respect relatiiiiiive
[snapback]85080[/snapback]
can you elaborate? was it just pain in the ass to carry around? were you too worry about theft?

Old 11-06-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

Im not sure about the aspects of taking an SLR but I can touch on the digital camera aspect.

I am really big into film and othera aspects of that sort and it was hard to imagine simply just point and click pictures and not having the freedom to really get in the picture. But the small camera worked great. I was limited to getting really creative, beyond framing, but the amount of pictures I took and the ease of being so small and secure counterbalanced the restrictions of the camera.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

it was a pain in the ass to carry around becuse it didnt fit in my daypack..tried to take it around without the camera bag but that was just a bigger pain in the ass, and its annoying hangin it around your neck... i wasnt overly concerned about theft i was just smart how i carried when in the cities, ie not having it facing the same side of the road as there a "cowboys" on motorbikes that ride past and snatch it so i heard anyway. and was just careful where i put it down when at a bar/ resteraunt etc

also constantly havin to puttin it together and takin it apart is a bitch aswell

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #6
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

I bring my SLR whenever I travel. I don't find it a problem at all. You just have to be prepared for the bigger camera. Though a smaller camera might be easier due to size, I take photography to heart and so I want to have my best equipment. It is all how you mentally prepare I think

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 06:36 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

I just took a "point and click", albeit a decent one, and came back with some amazing pictures. Fitted easily in my pockets so was always on hand for when I came across those picture perfect moments. An SLR would (IMO) just be added weight you could do without, unless of course the whole purpose of the trip is to take photos.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:27 AM   #8
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

It also seriously depends on your photo purposes... If you normally just take photos for memory sake, aren't particularly worried about detail, rather you use the photos as a visual reminder of happy travel memories, well, a point-and-shoot is the way to go...

If you're like me, the devil is in the details... I have so much to absorb during a trip that I really like detailed photos so that I have something to look at when I return home, and perhaps pick details out that I may have missed on the trip... An SLR (or really decent digital) for me is the way to go. The nice part of a high MP camera is that you can make up for your composition shortcomings by cropping and enlarging. Details that you failed to notice in person are still captured forever on film/pixels and when I go through my vacation photos, I get to take the trip all over a second time, from a different perspective...

For me, the weight is worth it... (though I need to find a different tripod)

«edit» I also carry a small point-and-shoot digital for those opportunity photos where carrying anything bigger would be impractical... the worst photos are the ones you don't take cause you forgot your camera!

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:48 AM   #9
Sandwich Magician

Send a message via Yahoo to PlayPal Send a message via Skype™ to PlayPal

I bought a digital rebel about a year ago and though it was a really nice camera, I found that I still took way more pictures with my little 4 year old Canon S300 digital point and shoot. Being able to be inconspicuous with a camera is a huge factor in my opinion. You pull out a big photo cannon and it attracts attention, possibly detracting from an otherwise natural setting. Then there is the obvious just-stick-it-in-your-pocket-and-go factor. These days you can get high megapixel counts on point and shoots as well, though you still don't get the lens quality and flexibility, color / light accuracy, or manual controls of an SLR. I recently sold my Digital Rebel and am thinking of buying a new point and shoot when I can afford it. Has anybody been doing any research on them recently? Looking to spend $400 or less.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:25 AM   #10
Members

i would luv to take my SLR backpacking with me but it is bigger and heavier and film is more expensice and I wouldnt want it to get stolen or damaged. That said a digicamera can be stolen or damaged but it is lighter and I dont have to buy film and can send images home instantly.
Munkeyrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by PlayPal@Nov 11 2005, 11:48 AM
I bought a digital rebel about a year ago and though it was a really nice camera, I found that I still took way more pictures with my little 4 year old Canon S300 digital point and shoot. Being able to be inconspicuous with a camera is a huge factor in my opinion. You pull out a big photo cannon and it attracts attention, possibly detracting from an otherwise natural setting. Then there is the obvious just-stick-it-in-your-pocket-and-go factor. These days you can get high megapixel counts on point and shoots as well, though you still don't get the lens quality and flexibility, color / light accuracy, or manual controls of an SLR. I recently sold my Digital Rebel and am thinking of buying a new point and shoot when I can afford it. Has anybody been doing any research on them recently? Looking to spend $400 or less.
[snapback]86170[/snapback]
I have come to the conclusion that photography is about a third technology, lucky, and the skill of the photographer. I have a pretty average 4 megapixel A520 by Canon and i feel like I have wonderful photos. I decided to blow several up to 11"x14" (28x36cm for metric lovers/the rest of hte world) Where Is Joey Todayif you want a sample I have a few on my travel blog.

--Joey
Joey7F is offline   Reply With Quote