voluenteering for free - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Studying, Living, Working, Volunteering Abroad, Expats Currently or planning on studying abroad, living abroad, working abroad, and volunteering abroad. Expats talk for all of you Huck Finn's out there. You rebels with a without a cause. Summer travel is child's play to you.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

is it possible to voluenteer for free anywhere?

like if i just rocked up to and orphanage somewhere and wanted to help out, could i? or do i have to go thru agencies?

dont mind paying my own costs (board,food,etc etc) and giving $X cash as a donation, but i dont want to be paying feees for placement or any crap like that.

ive tried googling it, but most agencies seem to charge something-some even astronomical figues to help out. is there a way around this? id rather spend the smae amoutn an agency would charge, but have all off that money going to the people who need it

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:01 PM   #2
You want fries with that?

Might want to check with a local church. Wouldn't be surprised if they have placement programs....

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:44 AM   #3
TPunk Recognized

rofl. can you honestly imagine a church placing a stripper in any of their programmes?! hahah

no.

Old 11-07-2006, 01:49 AM   #4
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Send a message via MSN to davidd

No need to mention anything like that, just say you do modelling work
Old 11-07-2006, 01:52 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

hmmm i guess... but im the worst at lying- id slip up.

besides. i dont think i could be a part of a christian type church voluenteer programme- the religion thing would bug the hell out of me. i could work in a monestry, but not god religions.they scare me! haha

hmmm i guess... but im the worst at lying- id slip up.

besides. i dont think i could be a part of a christian type church voluenteer programme- the religion thing would bug the hell out of me. i could work in a monestry, but not god religions.they scare me! haha

Old 11-07-2006, 02:48 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
hmmm i guess... but im the worst at lying- id slip up.[/b]
You could say your a nun and watch sister act for tips.

The government must have some connections with volunteer organisations ask at your local county council building or the Australian equivalent to a county council.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:20 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Are you trying to do this in Oz or somewhere else while you are traveling? If somewhere else, I would recommend that when you get on the ground, you seek out some places you would like to volunteer and approach them directly to find out the deal. Talk to other westerners, also and see what is available. In SEA, for example, there are numerous volunteer organizations and groups. I am sure you could find something to do that would not require you to be extorted by an agency.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
TPunk Recognized

^^ yeah, i was hoping to do it in south america. just worried ill get over there only to find all the schools and orphanages go thru agencies or soemthing.

Old 11-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #9
You want fries with that?

Does Oz have the equivalent of the Peace Corps?

"Steve is the prototypical cool American male. Y'know, I'm talking about Steve McGarrett, alright? Steve Austin, Steve McQueen. Y'know, he's the guy on his horse, the guy alone. He has his own code of honor, his own code of ethics, his own rules of living, man. He never, ever tries to impress the women but he always gets the girl."

Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:53 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

There are several books available that offer specific organizations. As for websites try idealist.org, avso.org, vfp.org, volunteermatch.org

It really depends on the type of volunteer work and the location. I can look up in some of my book if you'd like.

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

I've only done volunteer work overseas in Lithuania, but had several different experiences.

1. The local "international women's association" had tons of opportunities to help out with local charities, particularly children's homes/orphanages. They needed donations of clothing, medical equipment, etc, for which fundraising events (an art auction, Christmas bazaar and a tree sale) were organized. There was a membership fee for the organization, but never a fee for going down to the orphanage to cuddle babies, and the group had regular visits out to the orphanages. You could stop by any similar organizations (these are usually located in major centres where there is a large expat community, but they often have connections in other areas - like the town that benefitted from the tree sale), and make contacts that way.

2. The Sisters of Charity (Mother Theresa's order) ran a homeless shelter/soup kitchen near the bus station. I found out about them through the women's association, but you could ask at the tourism information offices, or the town hall as well - or look them up in the phone book. I assure you, if you're willing to dish soup into a bowl or pack clothes for the homeless, no shelter is going to turn you away. The religious charities with which I've worked (in my case, Roman Catholic or Anglican) do not force the faith on anyone...that's not really the point, you know? The point is to take care of the need, and that's what they do.

3. Caritas. Another no-fee opportunity. I met a gal who was volunteering there, and she introduced me - in Vilnius the branch (Caritas is an international Catholic charity) provided after school care for kids of alcoholic/drug addicted/abused mothers, and also a workshop for those mothers who got some job and parenting skills, training, counselling and treatment for their addictions, as well as earning a little income. My job was to sit and talk with the ladies, comisserate over the challenges our children presented, and celebrate the little victories. At first I was asked to show the ladies how to do their craft, but it soon became apparent that they were far better at it than I, so I became the gopher.

I wouldn't eliminate religious charities because you're worried about how they'll perceive you - in many countries (like Lithuania, with it's emerging economy) government programmes cannot keep pace with the need and the religious charities provide vital services to the community. And though there are exceptions, generally nuns are among the least judgemental people I've ever met.

Good luck with finding something, I'm sure some charity somewhere will be thanking their stars when you show up.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

I voulnteer for a non-profit organization that provides work and employment training for persons with disabilities. I work with mostly Deaf people with developmental disabilities, chronic mental illness, physical disabilities and mobility impairments. I am learning ASL which allows me to work with them. All I did was call them and asked if they needed a volunteer. I fillled out an application and had a background check done. Very easy.

I also volunteered for two years at Children's Hopsital in Boston for two years in college. I loved it.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:33 AM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

Yes, deffinitely try Caritas for South America, also idealist.org... if you speak Spanish: idealistas.org
Good luck!
Been to: Argentina, Chile, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Egypt. Greece, Turkey, England, France, Italy, Germany, Austria, Belgium, USA, Mexico, Spain, Monaco, Czech Republic, Ireland and Uruguay.

Next trip: Still pondering the possibilities for January 2009... * OH THE MYSTERY!! *

The travel bug is insatiable
florencia9699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:17 AM   #14
TPunk Recognized

florencia- idealist almost seems parfect!! thanks!!

Old 11-12-2006, 10:00 AM   #15
The " ... " queen of TP!

I too have been looking for cheap volunteer opportunities and I just found a *really* good site that I am very excited about. They have a ton of opportunities, and when you scroll over each listing you get a brief description as well as whoever wrote the page's research into them (as to whether they're legit or recommended etc)

haha I was so excited to post, I forgot the link:

http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net/

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 04:55 PM   #16
TPunk Recognized

^^^^ omg. they just get better and better! i only scanned that site, and already found a few places my friend and i would be interested in voluenterring at!