A Map for Saturday - backpacking documentary - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Anything Positive
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Anything Positive Need a pick-up, or just want to be inspired? This forum is for you =) Keep this forum clean: post only your positive/motivational/inspirational quotes, poems, stories, adive, tips, etc...in here.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Default A Map for Saturday - backpacking documentary

I just randomly saw this online... it's called A Map for Saturday, and it's a documentary about long term, solo backpacking.

It looks sooooooo good. So good, as a matter of fact, that I ordered it online already! And I'm pretty cheap when it comes to buying stuff!

Here's the site: http://www.amapforsaturday.com/

Here's the trailer... it gave me the chills (good chills, like the ones you get when you hear a great song)

I'm sure all TPUNKS will feel the same when watching this!!!!
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 AM   #2
roxy1277
TPunk Recognized

dude! Thanks for making me have a warm fuzzy moment by sharing that. I actually shed a tear. God, I can't wait to be back on the road!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
djphatmatt

Wow.... I got goosbumps!

Anyone else live on the the Travel Channel? I cant get enough of the Europe shows as that is where I am going in 08!

Anyone see the backpackers episode of MTVs True Life? I found it pretty interesting.
djphatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxy1277 View Post
dude! Thanks for making me have a warm fuzzy moment by sharing that. I actually shed a tear. God, I can't wait to be back on the road!
Yes... this is my exact feeling. MAN, i want to travel again... maybe I can sneak a mini-trip in before the year ends.

I just had a great idea of travelling all over Canada sometime...
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 08-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

That was a sweet trailer, thanks for sharing
mbo108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #6
joe7f
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Thanks for the trailer link Jason, you are so spot on man that trailer gives you that warm fuzzy end of "Field of Dreams" type feeling. I'll have to pick that thing up

On the DVD purchase page they have a great line by Bill from Northern Ireland: "I'd like to travel for 364 days out of the year and go back for Christmas" :D

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation

Last edited by joe7f; 08-09-2007 at 02:48 PM.
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 AM   #7
expatben
lover of Germany

I like Hitch from Switzerland "The first day I was like 'I'm so so alone, cool.' Then the second day I was like 'oh, I'm really alone now.'" Made me laugh because I remember feeling like that a couple of times on my travels.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
Canadian Bacon
Artist of Life

So I actually got the DVD in a the mail a little while back and I watched it... and you know what, it's a pretty good documentary! It pretty much nails all the emotions solo backpackers go through (and some, which I never felt, since I never went for that long).... so all in all, worth the buy!

Old 09-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #9
lost in texas
TPunk Recognized

This looks really good! I missed the thread the first time around I guess, but I'll have to pick it up. Glad you brought it back up.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #10
patchouli Lover
TPunk Emeritus

Looks like I found my new Christmas present. (If I can wait that long). That was a great trailor. I especially liked the part where the lady is talking about her friend's reactions and how they gave her 6 weeks and now she's on 14 months. Go her! And the old man. 70 and still traveling. Now there is my goal in life!

"At the center of your being you have the answer; You know who you are and you know what you want. "
-Lao-tzu

patchouli Lover on myspace

patchouli Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
So I actually got the DVD in a the mail a little while back and I watched it... and you know what, it's a pretty good documentary! It pretty much nails all the emotions solo backpackers go through (and some, which I never felt, since I never went for that long).... so all in all, worth the buy!
Hey Jason, you wanna let Rox and I borrow or rent that from you. Shit, you could start renting to all the Tpunks
Old 09-14-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
simply_angelic
The " ... " queen of TP!

Yeah man, next time you're in the Tdot bring it & look me up so I can watch it!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:27 AM   #13
bibowj

Send a message via AIM to bibowj Send a message via Yahoo to bibowj
Default word

Thanks to you guys posting this ...I ordered it Illl let u know what I think once I get it!
bibowj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 12:01 PM   #14
bibowj

Default So ...

OK....

I just finished watching this video about 34 seconds ago, and had to post right away. It is truly amazing, and really quite the emotional roller coaster to be honest.

As soon as I post this, Im going to go online and add another month to be upcoming backpacking plans....

ITs that good.

james
Old 09-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #15
TheJake
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

sweet! Thanks for the update...
Old 09-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #16
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

is it "quit my job and get going" good?
Old 09-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #17
bibowj

Yes its quit your job good...

I ripped it to my IPOD so when Im on my 2 month long trip this winter and Im feeling alone, sad or ready to go home , Ill play it and I know for a fact that it will bring encouragement ...

Seriously though, I had to stop it a few times... Im a guy and all, and no where near a wuss... but it really was seriously emotional movie...
Old 09-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #18
Kevin-L
TPunk Recognized

so i just watched it and wow... its one of those things that just sets the gears in your head moving. it should really be seen, the problem is that not many would understand. it really came at a strange point in life where i can see the fork in the road ahead. that sound really cliché but it brings up that pit in my stomach that just scares the shit out of me. thats it, it just reminds me that i haven't gone rtw and i don't know what i want to do with my life. sorry this was just me venting.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:33 AM   #19
mbo108
TPunk. Recognize.

oh god i really shouldn't watch this movie...coming to these boards everyday is bad enough and if that trailer is any indication i'm going to be spending the next few weeks and months convincing my wife that we need to quit our jobs, delete our savings, and travel the globe...I'm holding all of you responsible!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:39 AM   #20
marc873
Tpunk Senior Moderators

^^^ I be in that same boat brother!!! Where's my Pack?