Thailand to Luxembourg, by Land - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > Where ya going? & Specific country info! > 'Round The World Travel
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

'Round The World Travel Feel like conquering the world? Give us the run down, your game plan, the strategy...

Spiff is on!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-14-2007, 11:43 AM   #21
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

Thanks for all your help, Atchoum. You've been a great help. When I posted that message earlier, I'd just talked with a friend who had crossed the Thai/Mayanmar border, and read the U.S. State Dept. report about how it is sometimes possible. But all in all, it sounds like quite the shady border to cross. This friend of mine lived in Thailand for years and knew of unguarded borders, but its probably not a good idea for a bright white guy like myself to try that stuff.

I think I'll opt for the Laos/China route. But that's a bit crazy too, I bet transportation within China towards India is scarce, and even then you have the Himalayas to cross. Hmmmmm . . .

So if a plane or a boat was not an option, what route would you take? Do you think the Mayanmar is always 100% closed to foreigners or is it worth checking at their embassy when I get to Thailand?
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #22
TPunk Recognized

Just a word of warning, you can't (legally) go through tibet without being on an organised tour, so getting to the Indian or Nepalese border could be difficult from china, without going to the very long way round.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #23
french touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legitikick View Post
its probably not a good idea for a bright white guy like myself to try that stuff.
Yep ! I've read stories about travellers getting caught at the border and ending up in prison... Not a very welcoming place...

Quote:
I think I'll opt for the Laos/China route. But that's a bit crazy too, I bet transportation within China towards India is scarce, and even then you have the Himalayas to cross. Hmmmmm . . .
Laos ! I spent 10 days there, not long enough. Such a beautiful country, and friendly people. You'll love it!

Ajb, it's the other way around that isn't allowed to independant travellers, from Nepal to Tibet. The route from Tibet to Nepal is -sadly- closed to Tibetans, not foreigners. But it's a extremely cold 2 day ride between Lhassa and Kathmandu, that goes through over 5000 meter of altitude roads. One can get sick! A friend of mine did it, and because the bus was overcrowded, she got the only place left... on the rooftop !

I'm not sure a border is open between China and India, nor Buthan/China. And anyway, the visa for Buthan costs some 500$ !!!!!!!!

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #24
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by atchoum View Post
The route from Tibet to Nepal is -sadly- closed to Tibetans, not foreigners. But it's a extremely cold 2 day ride between Lhassa and Kathmandu, that goes through over 5000 meter of altitude roads. One can get sick! A friend of mine did it, and because the bus was overcrowded, she got the only place left... on the rooftop !
Oh I'm gettin' excited!

So you really would just wait until you got to the neighboring countries to get these visas? I'm thinkin' that I should get at least a few prior to starting this trip.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:48 PM   #25
Yoda

Eeek, try not to ride on the roof of ANYTHING if there is ANY way you can possibly avoid it!!

And yeah, definitely try to avoid Bhutan only because the visa is so expensive. It's a min. $500 as Atchoum says, plus an additional $200 per day AND you have to be on an organized tour.

When you get your tourist visa for India, you should consider specifying that you'd also like a (free) entry permit for Sikkim. It doesn't take any longer to process, and just in case you end up going that way you'll have it.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #26
always trippin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by space virgin View Post
Eeek, try not to ride on the roof of ANYTHING if there is ANY way you can possibly avoid it!!
Oh, don't discourage.

I think short rides can be awesome...longer rides might be less comfy. I did a 2-hour ride on the roof of a jeepney in the Philippine hill ranges, and it was so much fun! :D

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #27
french touch

Quote:
So you really would just wait until you got to the neighboring countries to get these visas? I'm thinkin' that I should get at least a few prior to starting this trip.
When I wrote to wait until you were there, I didn't think you still wanted to travel overland from SEA to India. I think you need to know your route (through, over Myanmar or via China), then get the visa info for this route and try to find out how long of a trip it will be (you can get a good idea with guide books such as Lonely Planet). Either routes are challenging faisability and time wise. That way you know how long you can stay in SEA in order to enjoy India for more than a week !

An indian visa is valid for 6 months, so you can get it at home if you want, or in Bangkok. A chinese visa's validity is 3 months from the date of issue and you can stay up to 30 days in the country.

For the rest of the visas, you can get them easily in Bangkok (Laos even at the border), depending if you have specifics goals and places to see or feel like wandering, you can wait until you're there and "feel" Asia before deciding where and for how long to go.

Hey, I've also found this for you (security info updated daily) :

Quote:
You are advised against all travel to :

• The northeastern states of Manipur, Tripura, Arunachal Pradesh, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Nagaland.
  • Jammu and Kashmir, with the exception of Ladakh via Manali or by air to Leh.
  • The border areas of Assam and West Bengal.
  • The border areas of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Punjab, and areas of Ladakh close to the Line of Control (with the exception of Amritsar and Jaisalmer)
A high level of conflict and terrorist violence continues to be prevalent in Jammu and Kashmir, with the exception of Ladakh. Militants have kidnapped and killed several foreigners in past years. The Indian government has designated many districts of Jammu and Kashmir to be "disturbed areas" under the Disturbed Areas Act and the Armed Forces Special Powers Act. A military presence remains on both sides of the Line of Control. Some travel agents are advising that travel to Jammu and Kashmir is safe however, travellers should not accept this advice. Fields of landmines have been laid along the length of the border with Pakistan.

The Indian army also continues to cordon off the border and conduct exercises along the Indo-Bhutan border.

people are people

Old 02-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #28
Yoda

^ Uh, yeah... That's why, even though I had a wonderful time and did not in fact get blown up or kidnapped, I would advise anyone against going there.

On the other hand, it's way on the other side of India and would not likely be on your itinerary anyway.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:49 PM   #29
french touch

SpaceV is talking about Kashmir. She survived !

As for the rest of the warnings, several border points between China or Bangladesh and India are listed... Maybe Nepal is the best entrance or to fly into India.

people are people

Old 02-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #30
Yoda

Esther, I just want to take this opportunity to say that I absolutely love your avatar.

And that I WILL get to Nepal one day!

/end hijack
Old 02-21-2007, 08:32 PM   #31
french touch

Promises, promises...

people are people

Old 02-26-2007, 12:42 AM   #32
TPunk Recognized

Thanks so much for all the advice!

I've chosen my route, I'll go from Thailand, possibly through Cambodia, but then Vietnam, Laos, China, Nepal, and then India. I'll have 2.5 months to do that from the day I leave Thailand, so I should have plenty of time to enjoy the journey.

Yeah! I'm so excited! I'm going to get these visas ahead of time, because I don't want to waste time at embassies. Although I might wait to get Cambodia's visa, if I'm pressed for time I might skip that. And if I'm really pressed for time, I can skip Thailand too.

Oh I'm so excited! I just watched Seven Years in Tibet last night, oh that place looks so beautiful, I need to go now.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:22 AM   #33
TPunk Recognized

Can you recommend a good guide book for this adventure? It'd be cool if I could find something that covered both the SE Asia and India/Nepal/Tibet portion of it, but what do you recommend?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:26 AM   #34
TPunk Recognized

Anyone ever heard of this book: Trailblazer South East Asia: The Graphic Guide? Any ideas?