Lots of Europe Itinerary Help? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Post Your Itinerary
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Post Your Itinerary Need help in planning, sorting, adding, and subtracting to your itinerary?
Post it here and see how the Tpunks would do it!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Members

Default Lots of Europe Itinerary Help?

My boyfriend and I haven't finalized any plans, but we're trying to decide where we want to go after our working holiday in London. This is our list of cities we want to visit (I know, long, lol):

Glasgow
Dublin
Venice
Milan
Vienna
Prague
Paris
Munich
Berlin
Amsterdam
Barcelona
Madrid

We're hoping to fit some of the cities in as weekend jaunts during the 3 months we're in London, and then do a 2 week trip afterwards. What are some of the cities we can group as reasonable weekend trips, and what sort of itinerary should we save for afterwards? Is it possible to fit this all in on a reasonable budget?

I know this is a lot to ask, but I've never done this before. :x Looking for some experience.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:48 PM   #2
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I think that as far as weekend trips go, I would stick to one city per weekend, but places like Paris you may want more than one weekend. If you really want to pair cities for a weekend trip, here are my suggestions:

-Prague-Munich (it's closer than Berlin is to Munich, and I found airfare for 40 bucks with germanwings from Prague to Cologne so I'm sure you can find something similar to Munich)
-Madrid-Barcelona (though I couldn't even get through MADRID in one weekend)
-Milan-Venice (same thing)

Flying to/from Glasgow and Dublin you should be able to find some great airfare with Ryanair.

I think for the 2 week trip you could do Amsterdam, Berlin, Munich, Prague, and Vienna, depending on how much time you wanted to spend where.

Hope this helps,

Nicole

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to SGRHewitt Send a message via MSN to SGRHewitt Send a message via Skype™ to SGRHewitt

Dublin and Glasgow can definitely be weekend trips. Don't forget Edinburgh, which is such a neat city.

Amsterdam can be done in two solid days, but of course you could miss something. Venice the same thing, I found it quite boring really. It was neat, but I needed no more than 1.5 days.

Ryan Air is your friend, you can literally find round trip tickets for 40 US dollars. If you have a bit of extra cash, I thought the train ride through the English countryside to Scotland, as well as Edinburgh to Inverness, as being a highlight of my European excursions so far.

It all depends on what weekends you're going to get, and if you get the same days off as your boyfriend... That can be a major problem. Good luck regardless, I'm super jealous, as I want to do the same.

July 23 - Sept 13: Back in Europe! Off to Brest, France for a French language course. Schedule is open before August 7 and after August 28, suggestions?
SGRHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

All of these could be weekend trips with Ryan Air, if you have easy access to the airport. Keep all the extra costs (parking/taxis, baggage fees (watch out!), etc. in mind, because sometimes Ryan Air isn't such a deal. Sometimes its incredible though, and many cheap flights come out of the U.K.

It tried. . . . but I can't rank those cities, they're all amazing. Berlin is incredible and you'll need some time there. Barcelona is a city you have to "feel," not just sight-see, so give yourself some time to soak up the vibe. You'll need at least 4 for Paris. Don't bother with Florence unless you're an art fanatic, Pisa's also disappointing . . . anyways, ask away and we'll have ideas. I used to live in Germany and Luxembourg so I could give you some ideas.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:34 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to glitterhairdye

At the risk of sounding redundant, you could do all of those as weekend trips. Berlin would take days, I loved Berlin and spent a week there. Same with Prague, I extended my time there as well. And Munich actually. I've heard Milan is boring but Venice is kind of cool. RyanAir sucks for comfort but awesome for convenience and really cheap.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325
glitterhairdye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
Members

Thanks everyone! I've got a good start to begin thinking about everything. :D
Old 01-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Venice: Best done with one day and two nights. Not a lot to "see." The best thing to do in Venice is to wander around and get lost, trust me. Venice is one of the European cities that is great because it is, not because of what it has in it. So you might be able to squeeze a Florence trip in (3hours by train) the "David" is worth it.

Berlin: I thought I was gonna hate Berlin but I ended up loving to the point where I wouldn't mind living there. Two quick points: One, take one of the free walking tours they have. They meet at the gate with the four horsemen and are actually cool as shit. Two, I can't remember where it is or what its called but in those pub crawl deals they have there is this bar/club thing that is in a building that was bombed out during the war and is still only half there. Its cool as hell.

Paris: Two things to make sure you see: the catacombs and the latin quarter. Catacombs are just cool and different, not another museum type of cool and the latin quarter should be a place you go to party at night, its awesome

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:02 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to polarbear Send a message via MSN to polarbear

im going on my trip excursion next summer, and will also be hitting some of the same places. sounds like a blast, dont forget to make reservations ahead of time, that can save you a bundle as well.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbear View Post
dont forget to make reservations ahead of time
But then you're stuck to some sort of schedule, I don't think you save enough to make it worth booking rooms or tours ahead of time. The ability to be sporadic is one of the best things about traveling to me.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote