Europe itenerary, some advice please! - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Post Your Itinerary
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Post Your Itinerary Need help in planning, sorting, adding, and subtracting to your itinerary?
Post it here and see how the Tpunks would do it!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-03-2007, 12:08 AM   #21
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I am trying to perhaps find a cheap flight from krakow or warsaw to prague, but I'm not having the luck I'd hoped like when I got the 60 dollar tickets from munich to krakow. *sigh* maybe I'll just walk lol

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:58 AM   #22
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

hmm I was unaware that you didn't have to front the whole bill too reserve a hostel, but now that I think of it, no hotel that I know of in the US does that either, they take a small deposit. so I went ahead and made as many reservations as I could:

-haven't got anything for Zurich yet, but I am going to book with City Backpacker (http://www.city-backpacker.ch/index.html), as everything else in Zurich is at least 60 bucks and this place is located in one of the big bar districts in Zurich, Niederdorf. Excellent location too, like 2 min from the main train station. But I can't book with them until January, but I want to get it asap cos there's a soccer game in Zurich when I am going to be there. w00t!
-Stuttgart I booked 2 nights (for no fee at all... gotta love small town Germany with Alex 30 (http://www.alex30-hostel.com/)
-Munich I booked 2 nights with Wombats, thanks for the recc guys!
-Krakow I booked 3 nights at Tutti Frutti, and even though I don't have the travel from Krakow to Prague specifics figured out, at least I will have a place to sleep for part of time
-Prague I booked 2 nights at Sir Toby's
---the next step in my trip is to head back to Cologne, but I dunno what I am going to do... if I like Prague then I'll stay another night, if not I'll leave and go to Cologne... keep my options open
-My last night I have a reservation at the Stay & Learn in Frankfurt, which sounds lame to me, but my friend who stayed there swears it was the best time he had in Germany so I am trusting him

Everywhere I booked has good reccs but I don't know anything about this Alex 30... there's not a lot to choose from in Stuttgart, and this place is close to where Celine is playing, so I'm all about it. Plus it's like 20 bucks a night or some shit. The one place I wanted to book at (Hotel Mack I believe) boasted free beer, but they only had 3 and 4 bed private rooms and if you're a single traveler then you have to pay for all 3 beds. kind of makes the free beer lose its luster....

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 12-03-2007, 04:43 AM   #23
call me Condi!

Aww, using your extra day for Neuschwanstein. Boo hiss. But I guess you have to. It's a neat castle. But there's damn near nothing inside. Linderhof is more amazing and there's an underground opera theatre that you have to take a swan boat to navigate. He never finished the Cinderella castle.

I love that your trip is taking shape already! I haven't done a trip more than two months in advance yet...
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 09:15 AM   #24
TPunk Moderator

I know, right? I was going to procrastinate until last minute with this trip, I had been checking airfare, and saw that my ticket price had dropped and had to get it, and now I'm kind of working on the trip cos I know it's fuh-sho now. plus I realize now there are a lot of things to worry about that I never thought of... like this whole damn rail thing. I just HAD to go to Krakow, didn't I? I'm going to go back into my procrastinating shell because I can't really do anything else now, and I'm not going to get my rail pass until the spring, and then maybe I'll figure out this whole Krakow to Prague mess. I got a little insight on Wiki travel about it but I don't want to think about it.

So honestly, is the Neuschwanstein castle lame? It kind of gives me chills when I look at it, I don't care if there is nothing in it. And I want to hang out in Fussen, because it looks charming. And I dunno who here has been to Frankfurt but it really looks like the odd man out in damn Germany, because it's so modern looking. It looks pretty lame. It just looks crowded and busy. If I wanted modern architecture with crowded and busy I would go to NYC or Chicago.

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 AM   #25
call me Condi!

OK, to fill you in on my context, I had already seen Linderhof three years before that and we had already been to Vienna to see all the Hapsburg glory. There's really nothing inside, and it's kind of a butt to hike up to it to see nothing. Now, if you like hiking for no reason and would appreciate an up close view of the exterior, go for it. We also went when it was winter, so we hiked, got hot and sweaty, then stood up in the elevation freezing, so maybe didn't appreciate the exterior. Don't skip it on my account, because there are still many people who think it's worth it. I don't think it's as big a waste of my time as Troy was, but I still don't regret seeing Troy. I'm not a hater, just a warner.

And don't ever regret going to Krakow. It's so cool looking, and kind of an off beat destination.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:03 AM   #26
TPunk Moderator

hehe, not a hater, just a warner... I like that. yeah I am going to go even if it really ends up sucking. if anything, my mom will think the pictures are very cool.

as for krakow, no regrets here. the legwork for this will be worth it in the end, I'm sure. I'm very interested in jewish history and that sort of thing, and I've wanted to see auschwitz & birkenau for a very long time now, so besides my celine concert, it was the other non-negotiable part of my trip. I also plan on seeing kazimierez and the all that good stuff while in krakow.

tpunk gallery * twitter