Hello Travel Junkies :) - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 10-22-2009, 05:03 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Dingo Van Horn
Talking Hello Travel Junkies :)

<< A dingo could totally own this guy

I'm new as you probably already figured out. I thought I would join this site and see if any one could help me make a final decision regarding working holiday destinations.

I have decided to do one more working holiday before I turn 30. I'm 27 in a month so I've still got at least 24 months to plan, agonise and organise to make it the best and last working holiday for this rapidly aging bum.

I have narrowed my choices down to 2 destinations that I would be interested in living/working in between my travels.

One is Vancouver Canada and the other is Dublin Ireland. I'm aware that in Canada you get longer and you don't have to change employers every few months but Dublin is so close to the rest of Europe that it would be a good choice. London is out of the question as I have already been on a UK working holiday (and loved it!)

Sorry this has been a HUGE intro but if anyone has done the working holiday thing in either Canada or Ireland please give me a shout!

Cheers

Hahaha... FAIL

Dingo Van Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Rabidly Xenophilic

Where do you live now?

Dublin sounds like a great idea. Can't say I've done it myself...

How about this:
Jan 2010-Dec 2010: Dublin (27-28 years old)
Jan 2011-Dec 2011: Vancouver (28-29 years old)
Jan 2012-Dec 2012: Australia (30-31 years old)
Jan 2013-Dec 2013: New Zealand (31-32 years old)

No time like the present
Old 10-22-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
Rabidly Xenophilic

oh, well I looked at twitter and you're obviously Australian so I guess the last two parts of that are of no use...shoulda looked at your username more closely!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #4

I wish I could afford to leave in January! I've just become free and clear of the debt that mounted up on the last working holiday (totally worth it) and now I'm saving up for the next one so I've still got a while to go and unfortunately I'm only going to be able to choose one.

Common sense tells me to go with Canada but instinct says Ireland. Grrrr

Hahaha... FAIL

Old 10-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #5
The " ... " queen of TP!

First off, welcome!

Secondly, What type of a person are you aka what do you like to do for fun? If you're really outdoorsy there's a looooot to see in Canada near BC but if not so much then I'd probably vote Ireland because it's more cultural (and it's also pretty stunning)

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #6
Admin

Welcome to the biznoards!

I grew up in Seattle and went to Vancouver a lot. It is a b. e. a. utiful place in every aspect.

I haven't been to Ireland, yet, but as SimplyAngelic mentioned it's more cultural as it is a hop skip and a jump from so many countries. Imagine the endless weekend trips you can take for a few bucks/euros...

Ryanair - Where We Fly(zoom out to see more)
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:11 AM   #7
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Hello

Either choice would be a fun one. Remember that if you were in BC, there would be a lot of travel options there too.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Certified Wise

Welcome to TPunk. Hope you find all the info you need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Van Horn View Post
<< A dingo could totally own this guy
There aren't any dingo's in Tasmania
Old 10-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Hey duder,

Good to see another Aussie getting around.

I've never been to Ireland, but I've travelled around Europe. I'm also doing the working holiday thing in Canada right now. Here's my take on your choices:

Go to Canada if:
- You're a rock/ice/alpine climber or skier.
- You have a particular interest in the North American way of life.
- You're an 18 year old Australian looking to get wasted with other 18 year old Australians for 6 months at a ski resort.

If the main purpose of your trip does not involve any of the above - go to Ireland.

...and that's what I reckon.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #10

Damn dude....

I'm not into action sports but I heard the weed is great in Vancouver and the people are friendly and I heard Montreal is always having festivals and assorted events year round.

Seeing as how I don't ski I was thinking a gig in a summer resort would be better and then I can hide out in Vancouver for the winter and work there for awhile.

Too many choices!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys

Hahaha... FAIL

Old 10-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

Well, there certainly is a lot of weed in Vancouver. I can't comment on the quality, but I can think of one doobie munching Canadian tpunk that could give you some more information on that topic.

You do realise that Vancouver and Montreal are 3700km apart, right? And, domestic flights are not cheap in Canada (similar to Australian prices). You can get anywhere in Europe for less miles and money.

That being said, Montreal is an awesome city (my fave in Canada). If it had mountains, that's where I'd be.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:36 AM   #12

Looking at maps of Canada kinda makes me think of home. You'd be crazy to go all the way there and only see one tiny part of such a huge land mass.

Hahaha... FAIL

Old 10-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

Yep, it's a big country all right; second biggest in the world in fact (Aussie comes in at no. 6).

Like Australia, its population is fairly small relative to its land mass. As a result, the long distance public transport systems are quite limited and expensive. So, unless you're planning on buying a car in Canada, travelling the place extensively could be an expensive prospect.

Last edited by LostFarmboy; 10-30-2009 at 11:30 AM.
LostFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

My vote is canada but im biased as im heading over for a working holiday in a week fingers crossed! The more I look into it the more it appeals, I snowboard but have just broken my shoulder so won't be for a while, but there is plenty to do and see even if your not into that kind of thing!
If your not heading for snowsport type things make sure to check out average/minimum wages of where you may head (Alberta for example has the lowest minimum wage i believe?).
I've found tango pretty reasonable for flights (just vancouver to calgary at this stage) but being from nz I"m pretty used to exorbitant airfares.
Canada seems to have a lot of variation between cities so i'm sure you'll find something to suit!
Best of luck
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwichick View Post
My vote is canada but im biased as im heading over for a working holiday in a week fingers crossed! The more I look into it the more it appeals, I snowboard but have just broken my shoulder so won't be for a while, but there is plenty to do and see even if your not into that kind of thing!
If your not heading for snowsport type things make sure to check out average/minimum wages of where you may head (Alberta for example has the lowest minimum wage i believe?).
I've found tango pretty reasonable for flights (just vancouver to calgary at this stage) but being from nz I"m pretty used to exorbitant airfares.
Canada seems to have a lot of variation between cities so i'm sure you'll find something to suit!
Best of luck
agreed; Canada's cities are so colorfully different and exciting all on their own accord
jackie is offline   Reply With Quote