Miami - FLorida - who knows ---- - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-24-2005, 02:53 PM   #1
Members

Cool

Introduction first I guess as I’m new, to both ‘going for a bimble’ as I call it, and these forums (I bow and sweep my hat, good site !) I’m a colourful person, recently after reading for the fist time in my life (okay could read but books just didn’t do it for me), anyway, long story, started reading NLP for work and it’s lead me through, everything from the Alchemist and Celestine prophecy, to Tony Robbins and even the bible, me I’m I keen one for mother nature as such, no tree hugger, or fighting the industrial, I have feeling it all balances, apart from that I’m only going to the states to start with, however my fav buddy keeps hugging me telling me I’ll never return once I start, as I like to do it all, even the sour bits, I don’t see anything wrong if life chucks in a bit of variety, so long as I have a sleeping bag to dream the good stuff up !! hehehe, I love tips, I love advice too, I always listen, decide, and act accordingly, above all my buddys most likely right, as I have business, and property here in England, but its just not the right person, so me and here, is all about finding that place, I’ve loved the USA way for years, theres good bits and bad, I realised one day, I don’t really have a clue, as TV has created all the ideas I have about the states, so I intend to start with Los Angeles, have a hostel in mind not sure what to expect, as to be honest went to one in Brighton England and it was well mmm just loads of hassle going on outside, and here in my town they put all the convicts being released into, so bit puzzled as if to the states ones are also ? also my dream is to find some sort of work to keep me going for a month or two, how realistic is it, I believe in if you put out you get back as such, so below I leave some tips I think will help anyone coming to England and any of the many cities I have lived in, any help appricated in advice for staying at Los Angeles Venice Beach, how to get working on the erm,,,, (no visa sorta way) and general tips.

Below is my view and you may experience a totally different side to England, it all depends on the filters we use to see, touch and hear, as to the outcome of each action we take.

England.
Okay most fly into Heathrow I guess, its cool, nice and clean, late after 11ish it gets a little quieter, there are ploice around in the main terminals, and cameras, I don’t feel you need it but if sleeping, do it under one of these.

Tube is the best way to exit the airport, and head to your destination, even if no booking you’ll get a seat and get to main stations in 20 minutes costs no more than £10, in England always ask the ticket guys for the cheapest ways to do travel, as day 7 day returns are sometimes cheaper than day returns, if you ask the guys they will help honestly, as they make nothing from lying, I always ask and they always save me money.

Okay walking around London, me I’m from the North and apparently stronger in most ways, so I never fear London, there are bad guys, and the only tip I give is always look confident, and that you know where your going, not all the time but if you start to feel threatened, also they tend to not attack if you hand stuff over, I always carry a spare wallet with second cancelled cards in it, so one I don’t loose the real ones and two the gits get arrested as soon as they use it.

I used to work with many different nationalities in London many Aussies, in fact went to the batch ball with brett (mad guy but great laugh), anyway and working on a visa is suggested, as they are quite easy to get and if you have one, you will get a job easy, personally once you have a job in London, I would head North, the money goes twice as far, a flat to rent up there is half the price, or if the same price twice as good, seriously if you came to England, I would say London’s for the odd month, the north’s a year place, its good people, and friendly, chats etc, plus more trust, stay away from Hull, it’s the worst, Liverpool is good, and Manchester, both towns are what we call rough, or rather if your on a budget your going to be in a rough place, all you have to do is be sensible, keep your stuff locked, English guys love to fight, this means fist face hospital, seriously and they do not warn you, most usually its over girls, and ladies the girls are just as tough, once you make a few friends though it’s the safest place in the world, as they do look after each other like family up there, you just have to break the shell.

Anyway Work, I personally would suggest, pubs, ask around for a FREE HOUSE, this means they sell beer of their choice eg:FreeHouse, it also means they own the place, (they are common) and they can pay you cash in hand, the other bars, are usually part of a chain and will be restricted, other good places to get jobs are MARKETS, these are stalls outside selling goods, basically in UK if it’s a cash in hand business they can get away with paying you, and most business men in UK love saving money, in fact sell them it all just repeating “you’ll save money”, no one has fear of being caught, it’s a big thing maybe in the city, but not outside, so your safe asking around, just not a policeman and everyone else even if they disagree will just look in a funny way (hehehe easy) also another good area to go for periods is Southampton (best place !!) If I were you I would go here, it’s the best of England for an average of everything, and an enjoyable place to be for a period of time, they don’t hunt out illegal workers lol, however if you are from middle east you will be seen as this.

I’ll stop here, as I hope there are some good tips, however if you need any help email me and if I know an answer its yours, I’m thinking to waste a week in LA on the beach, I’ll write somthing to post on the web with all the ways to beat England, I feel I have lived England throughout, every town, every city, knowing the difference in people and how to beat the systems, they use, I used to be against others entering my country to work, I feel bad over that now, here’s to a smaller world !

Oooh a little help just read the bad reports on hostels, hehehe can someone advise me as to a good one near a beach and nightlife.

ALso any ENglish guys in over there advice is always sought !!
Old 02-24-2005, 03:16 PM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to JiveTurkey

Hola and welcome! Don't belive every thing you see on TV. America is not that bad.
Old 02-24-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
Members

Send a message via AIM to dimples

Welcome to TPunk... the people here are great and have tons of advice, also check out all the other posts...sometimes people have already asked some of the questions you have.

I know you said that you were going to LA to start out with, but where else are you planning on going?? Anywhere else in the states??

P.S. i have to say good idea with the second wallet thing... never thought of that!!
dimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Welcome to Tpunk!

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Welcome aboard!

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote