Hey Tpunks - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #1

Talking Hey Tpunks

So i though i'd introduce myself, so that maybe in future posts i wont have to explain my whole situation, and to meet people on the boards. My name is Jon, i'm 19 years old and I live in Los Angeles, CA.
Travel is always something i've dreamed of that seemed impossible to me. I have two older sisters who have both been to Europe on planned trips and had a lot of fun. Even though I'm sure that they did, that's not what i want. Since i was 15, I've looked up blogs, vlogs, forums, movies, magazines, and everything else that i could get my hands on where i could find out about different places in the world. The descriptions were good, but I wanted to know the culture, the people. Just knowing bland facts about somewhere isn't good enough for me, I want to experience it.
When I was a child my grandfather began to teach me Polish and German. The former was lost through years of non-use, and the latter almost suffered the same fate, but was saved by 4 years of refresher high school courses.
But onto what I came to this site for. After waiting and waiting for "the right time" to come to travel, I'm done. I'm not going to buy a new car or spend the money on things like video games or gym memberships (i work out at home most of the time anyways). I have a decent amount of money saved up and I'm in the process of researching for my trip. There are many countries I want to visit, and I know I will not visit them all, but my plan is to travel till my set amount of money runs out. When I get in the planning stage of my trip, I'm sure you'll see plenty of threads by me asking many questions.
So hopefully you can help me, and maybe I can help some of you in some way or another.

P.S. I know how the search function of a forum works so hopefully i wont post something that hasn't been posted before :D
Sjack44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

welcome! so is this going to be one big round the world trip? sounds exciting! I'm sure you'll be amazed at the amount of information you'll find here..
and good to hear that you're not a total noob to forums in general!
Old 07-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
Certified Wise

Welcome to TPunk mate

Old 07-21-2009, 05:07 AM   #4
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Welcome to the boards!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

Welcome!!

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mooloo

Welcome to the boards!
Can't wait to hear more about your trip planning!

Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

---------------------------------------------------------------
My World Travelogue - Bloggity Blog
Updated April 2010!
--------------------------------------------------
Soon
NZ or OZ
Saving for a year - 18 months for a decent trip

Soonest
Trying my hand at short walks/tramps in NZ
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
mooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Sounds great! Welcome to the Boards... and ask away... there are many members here that have a vast knowledge of many different countries... so it should work out well for ya.

Do you have a rough itinerary you are looking at? or must see countries?

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #8

Well as of now I don't really have an itinerary. Theres too many places I want to go and not nearly enough money. Places that come to mind include:
Europe
-Germany
-Austria
-Poland
-U.K.
-Sweden
-Greece
-Italy
-France (I've heard nothing good from everyone I know that went there but for some reason I want to see it for myself)
-Russia
-Ukraine
-Italy
-Belgium
-Spain
-Switzerland
ASIA
-China
-Japan
-Thailand
-South Korea
Pacific
-Australia
-New Zealand

Now seeing as the only place i've been to outside of the US has been Canada, theres the possibility that I could plain hate traveling/backpacking/etc. I don't really think this is a possibility, but I don't think I will be able to see all of these places in one lifetime. I mean I eventually want to have a career, family, etc. and don't think I would be able to experience all of these places the way I would want to.
But who knows, I don't really have a dream career or dream life or anything like that. As of now, just seeing these parts of the world is the only real thing that i'm motivated towards. Sure I have school and everything, but I'm never this motivated for school anyways.
I'm gonna try and knock out 6 countries in a month, most likely 5 euro and 1 asian is what i really want to do, but we'll see if my funds allow me to do so.
Off I go to search for a "how much did your trip cost you and where was it to and for how long?" thread. If anyone knows one off the top of their head please direct me =D . Thanks in advanced for any help.
Sjack44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #9
lover of Germany

Allow me to say something good about France-France has a nice northern coast and some nice mountains. Still say as a country it is over rated but if you've never been to Europe it is worth a visit.
Best way to see Europe to me is by train and if you have a free summer and a Eurail pass you could probably do most if not all your Europe countries.
Germany is a must in my view especially Berlin. Belgium is a lot of fun as well.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Welcome to the boards. Sounds like you have a lot of traveling to do
Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Yes, the Eurail pass is a prime way to get around most of Europe to see it. It's pricey, but if you have nothing but time to visit, then it is well worth it.

Typically I would say you might be able to squeeze out some work while on your trip and make some extra money to extend it, but with the economy the way it is, jobs are much tougher to find. But if you are looking to visit as much as possible and have little requirements you can always check on couchsurfing.com.

There are many options for ya if you are interested in stretching it out. And if you get sick of it, catch a flight home. Good luck man, and ask away

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote