Hello! I'm new and soon to travel Europe - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Introductions and Announcements
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Introductions and Announcements Intro: First time here? "Say hello to my little friend..." Announcements: B-Days, special thanks, congrats, ..."You betta recognize!"

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-18-2005, 10:59 PM   #21
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter

Doh!

My apologies, Madame

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 06:40 PM   #22
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to bookofkels Send a message via Yahoo to bookofkels

Welcome to the family ,

I don't think it will be too hard for you to find under the table work in england or Ireland the pay might not be great and the work might be crap but it is there(i worked under the table in America cleaning houses crap work but good pay, but that was america!), if you have a UK passport do you have a National Insurance Number?, this is the one thing i need to work properly as its how you pay your taxes.

Sorry but thats all the help i can offer at the moment
Kel
Old 11-20-2005, 06:47 PM   #23
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to bookofkels Send a message via Yahoo to bookofkels

Quote:
Originally posted by travelpunk@Nov 18 2005, 02:35 PM
Staying with family in Belfast will definitely increase your daily budget for the rest of your trip. Stay with them for a week and spend...maybe $10 a day (on smokes, cheap eats, and a cafe con leche and entrance to a local museum), will50 Euros a day, sounds like you'll be cutting it close...especially during the summer time.

[snapback]88203[/snapback]
Sorry to pick up on this tony, but a pack of smokes now cost £5 here in the U.K which is $10, but if you don't smoke then you wouldn't have known

Damn i just picked a hole in the godfather's advice I hope i'm not going straight to hell
Old 11-21-2005, 12:36 PM   #24
Members

Send a message via MSN to Proserpine
Wow! Thank you guys soo much. I didn't expect so much help so quickly. And yes, a lady, I am. =)

Also, I don't know if this makes a difference, but although I am 27, I don't look a day over 23. (That's what I'm told anyway.) Especially when I wear my hair in pigtails. Is ID asked for when attempting to pay half price for a museum or would they go on my not-so-trustable-at-that-point word? I am going to get me one of those student cards as well.

I have to do this in the summer because I've got school the rest of the year. And, I absolutely promised myself I would not put it off any longer. I've been wanting to see where my father was born all my life.

My idea lately was to take three months. One of those months I thought I might see if I could get work in a coastal town - possibly one in which speaking English would be an asset (tourists comme moi). I have a pathetic amount of French in my brain after years of it in school. However, I have a friend who speaks French and he has been helping me get accustommed to attempting sentences by piecing together the words I know.

Again, as I have to sublet my apartment, I need to know how long I will be gone for. I was also thinking I would pay my bills for the amount of time that I was gone plus a month, so I wouldn't have to worry about money immediately on returning.

I'm glad smokes are cheaper. I spent nearly ten bucks on a pack the other day because I they didn't have my brand at the store I usually go to where I pay 8.50

I remember when I used to pay 3 bucks a pack in China town!

Wait a minute. 5 pounds a pack is the same isn't it?

When I went to the states for a month, I took a small knapsack with me. I was thinking of doing the same in Europe. I was also thinking of taking a bus - or begging a ride - to New York and taking a plane from there. In doing so, I would save myself a couple hundred bucks. To fly from Toronto to Belfast would cost approx. $1100 whereas to fly from NY to Dublin would be around $550. That's half the price! I could then take the train - or bus - up to Belfast. Or, I could stay in Dubiln a few days and go see my family - although, I liked the idea of seeing family first, getting settled, somewhat familiar and then taking off.

I nearly bought the Europe on a Shoestring Lonely Planet guide, but I have great difficulty spending money and it was forty bucks! I'll probably pick it up today though since I'm going up to Bloor Street for some tea and other groceries. I'll work out my tenative itinerary. I definitely would like to Seina. We've studied the art and architecture there quite a bit in my Art History course. Florence as well. I would rather go though when there are the least amount of tourists this summer. Maybe I'll book for there in June.

If you guys don't mind, I'll post the tenative details when I've got them organized and see what you think. I would really like to see as much as I possibly can and all the help you guys have provided thus far has been super helpful. I'm looking into the details around getting a NI card, however I would rather live and work in France, Italy or Spain rather than in the UK. I may have to have proof of living in a place for three months before being able to work legally, but we'll see.

Wow. I talk alot! and i love the smilies! Thanks for your help.

Oh, I won't have any trouble finding internet access will I? Because, if not, I may just book hostels online before I head into a city. Does that seem feasible?

Proserpine
Proserpine is offline   Reply With Quote