going to OZ/NEW ZEALAND in 2 weeks. help! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Backpacker College Student Travel Message Boards > I NEED HELP- ASAP!
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

I NEED HELP- ASAP! Need quick help? PLEASE POST ONLY URGENT QUESTIONS HERE! We´ll try to answer you within 24hrs.

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-01-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Default going to OZ/NEW ZEALAND in 2 weeks. help!

so ive finally gotten everything together. i gave my 2 week notice at work and im going to australia and new zealand for the next month-month and a half. now i need advice from anyones that lives/traveled there!

heres my flight details
i leave march 11 los angeles-melb
april 9 syd-christchurch
april 16 auckland-los angeles

im looking at 4 weeks in oz and 1 week in n.z. my main concern seeing the most w the amt of time and money im working with. it seems i'm in a bit of a time crunch!

for oz im looking to go from melb up the way up the e.coast to cairns then go to alice springs. prob will skip everything else. i will prob get a greyhound bus pass good for the e.coast then fly from carins to alice springs. honestly if i see a few beaches i am good. what im really looking forward to doing is camping, seeing some cool animals, being in the outback. i really dont have to hang out in every beachy city (is this what the e.coast is like?) with that in mind does anyone have an itinery change for me?

for n.z. i really dont know what im doing....based on general opinion of the board i would like to skip the north island. but notice my ticket is into christchurch and leaving out of auckland-i can get this changed. i have no idea how im going to get around.

i really need advice on what to do in both countries. i can take more time but bugeting with 80$ per day i cant afford to stay in either country for longer than 5ish weeks. pls help!!!!! i can use any budget/itinerary advice. this will be my first time in either countries...and my first time NOT backpacking through third world/developing countries.

time is really not really an issue except that the longer i stay the less $ i will have.

thanks you guys rock!!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

What are you interested in seeing or doing in nz? if your wanting to skip the north island then i would definatly change your exit from auckland as 7days btwn auckland and chch could be quite a push! perhaps leave wellington? i think theres a scenic overland train that travels up the south island and possibly even on the ferry that could get you from picton to wellington?
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #3
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter

jetstar.com.au is your friend.

I am not sure about the math on a bus pass. I fly jet star all over east oz for the same price or maybe $+10 of a bus ticket. It saves heaps of time. Camping is good and should not be a problem. Just remember distances are huge especially for the places you listed.

Also recommend you get the Australia and New Zealand on a shoestring. Both in one book.

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
TPunk Recognized

the pass im looking at is good for melb-carins and is about 350usd. then im thinking about flying from carins to alice springs then from alice springs to syd.
what do you think? are u there right now??
Old 03-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieL622 View Post
what do you think? are u there right now??
sorry was that aimed at foo or me?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #6
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

i think travelling up the east coast of australia by bus would be an absolute bitch. just driving to melbourne annoys me, and at least i can do it in my own car so it's quicker than a bus would be. I think everything else about your trip sounds good, but if you're really keen on the bus idea you're gonna need to prepare yourself for crazy long trips. you can cross 3 or 4 european countries in the time it takes to get from city to city here. you'll love the beaches in queensland but based on what you said you'd like to do, I think you'd also enjoy the south coast of new south wales.. the towns are all pretty laid back, the beaches aren't crowded and the caravan parks always have kangaroos hopping around everywhere.. to the point that they get really annoying. but i dunno overseas people probably think they're cute. check out places like bateman's bay, tuross, ulladulla... there's a lot of different beach towns along the coast. don't expect a lot of nightlife but about 3-4 days of just chilling, hanging on the beach, eating fish & chips and drinking with friends you find in hostels or caravan parks would be a nice break between melbourne & sydney.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
TPunk Recognized

kiwi...i was wondering if foo was in oz right now. i see your from profile you're from n.z. but im curious to how that sounds to you as well
i need all the help i can get. as far as n.z. im not sure what im looking for there....anything fun, some pretty scenary, meeting interesting ppl, not too concerned about being in "big cities" or partying b/c i think by the end of my trip i wont have any money left.
from what i read on the boards some ppl were not impressed w the n.island as much as the south one. so i figured since i only have a week i should spend it in the south one.

aliz, thats interesting i havent had anyone tell me that yet. ive spoken to a few ppl who went that route and they said it was good. it makes sense that it would be very time consuming though-its a very big distance.
i just didnt know where to start and i dont know know how to get around (i think plane might be too expensive) so i figured bus is a good alternative. i grew up on the west coast of the US so im pretty used to long trips and large distance btwn cities. hopefully it wont be worse than getting around here??

anyone whos taken the bus for long distances in oz....will traveling up the e.coast that way be a hassle?

also...has anyone been to alice springs/ayers rock? what are some experiences/advice anyone can share?

thanks guys! im leaving in 7 days!! wooohooo!!!!
Old 03-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieL622 View Post
....anything fun, some pretty scenary, meeting interesting ppl, not too concerned about being in "big cities" or partying b/c i think by the end of my trip i wont have any money left.
from what i read on the boards some ppl were not impressed w the n.island as much as the south one. so i figured since i only have a week i should spend it in the south one.
im biased but pretty scenery isnt too hard to find in nz, the south island has some very gorgeous places specifically mountains and bush wise but then again the north has some gorgeous coastlines. Lol the idea of big cities in nz is kinda funny in itself just get outa auckland as fast as ya can and ur home free! I rate wellington but am definatly biased cos i live here but its kinda got it all. rotorua / taupo in the central north island can be very touristy but have met sum fun backpackers and toyrs like whitewater rafting etc that are aimed at a younger poorer demographic lol, its got al u could want in terms of scenic and adventure tourism. if ya looking for cheap travel try http://flightbookings.airnewzealand.co.nz/vgrabview/ or if ya willing to bus it try nakedbus.co.nz lol sounds dodge but fully isnt, and can be very very cheap. The ferry btwn north and south i think is sumwher btwn 20 &40 nz $ 4 a student if that helps, google interislander.
Queenstown and the surrounding little areas are gorgeous and again geared at scenic and adventure tourism, i think its probably more expensive than rotorua however. when are you actually planning on being in nz?
lol sorry that may all be to much info but feel welcome to hit me up with any questions!!
Old 03-04-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

thanks for all the info kiwi!!!
i will be in n.z. around april 8-16.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:36 AM   #10
TPunk Recognized

true, thats kinda in between weather wise for us, not likely to be swimming weather and too early for ski season. all the same pm me or something closer if i can help at all or if ur gonna be in wellington!
Old 03-07-2007, 01:28 AM   #11
Members

don't bother getting a bus, it takes ages. people don't realise how big australia is! it's like a 10 hour drive melbourne to sydney. don't waste your time when you can get cheap flights with virgin blue or jetstar.

fly from NZ to melbourne, do great ocean road and portsea/sorrento day trips, up to daylesford and wine country, head up to sydney then to byron bay, coffs harbour then up to queensland, do gold coast then whitsundays and up to port douglas and you'll be set! lots of beaches. you should get warm, sunny days and coolish nights. have fun!
soph1886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 AM   #12
Certified Wise

It's Big!

Compared to the US .......................................and Europe
Old 03-07-2007, 03:22 AM   #13
TPunk Recognized

wow very cool maps!! and Laurie in answer to your question on what to do in nz from 10-23 chch-chch im still thinking it ova lol but i would suggest to start with heading from chch down to queenstown for a few days then back up the western side of the island past the glaciers perhaps theres bugger all on that side (personal opinion) cept sum old gold rush town and the glaciers tourist wise, so from there i'd be aiming to get to picton asap where I'd suggest atleast a nite sumwher in the Queen Charlotte sounds area or maybe even just aboat tour cos it has sum beautiful scenery. from picton catch a ferry to wellington (id happily show you around if ya wanting company and my class schedule fits) and then head to taupo or rotorua (or both-their not far apart)for a few days. the real ? for me is how to make it all loop back to chch nicely for you ? anyway let me know what ya think those are my ideas lol and i wont be offended if u chose not to go wif it!Im not sure of ya budget, ya style or how much u can be bothered travelling!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:25 AM   #14
TPunk Recognized

just another note since ur not here long and flying parts would probably save you time keep checking that grabaseat site cos there have been a few mid april flites recently
Old 03-08-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
TPunk Recognized

will i need bug spray in oz/n.z? are there mosquitoes or sandflies? how humid will it be? i will be going from melb-carins, alice springs, and prob all around n.z. starting marh 11 be in n.z. april 11-23.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:04 AM   #16
TPunk Recognized

ummm its a lil humid at the moment in wellington but mostly its just warm or cold lol.as for bug spray it depends on where you going and what sort of accomodation, id take it if i were camping, hiking or heading to either milford or queen charlotte sounds areas
Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 PM   #17
Members

Hey, im hoping you havent left yet

I live in australia, have all my life. i an itinerary is really personal i know there are heaps of places id go that most people wouldnt but i figure ill just give u a bit of a general spread of whats great in aus....

Melbourne, sydney, goldcoast are 3 must does.....they are all different in there own right melbourne is a beautiful city, lots of gardens, churches and monuments, they shopping and fashion is amazing, i it is also very multicultural, check out lygon street for sure, it is full of gorgeous restaraunts and scenery, also go down to the st kilda markets and have a walk on the beach down there, if your into sport then ur in the right place, the MCG is there and u can pick up a ticket to the footy, cricket, basketball, or tennis for 15 - 60 aussie dolars. night life is HUGE there lots of boutique style bars and restaraunt and the clubbing is awsome....

Sydney is a big big bustling city, lots of great australian land marks to see, check out the usual things like the sydney harbour bridge and the opera house but also sydney has heaps and heaps of museums and art galleries if thats your thing....there are millions of places to shop in sydney fashion is also big there. there are some great events in the parks that are along the river so if u have a spare second or want to wake up to some free yoga in the park go check it out.... sydney is pretty full on and it can be a bit scary but just ask anyone if you get lost aussies are great we will help you.

Gold coast....MY HOME.....i noticed you said that if you see one beach its ok.....well you havent seen beaches till you see our ones. they are nothing like melbournes or cairnes.....Im not just recommending the gold coast because i live here, i truely believe that if you miss it out then you are MISSING OUT...ahaha. ok so what does the gold coast have to offer......Best beaches around, best weather, everything is so so close it is a really compact and convenient place. it is not as big as melbourne or sydney so it has a really relaxed feel about it. there are some great things to see while your here....go for a stroll through broadbeach, mainbeach (tedder ave) or surfers at night. there are clubs everywhere and restaraunts and cafes all over the place. during the day go to Pacific fair for shopping or harbour town for outlet shopping. if your into something different go to Draculas it is a night time caberette (i no i spelt that wrong) lol show dinner and a show is included it is so much fun. everything from scary rollercoaster rides to personal waiters in costumes that scare the crap out of you. there are heaps of sporting feilds if your into more relaxed free games of footy. there are many nature reserves and things. the natural arche is a nice place to see....

im not to familiar with cairns i know they have the coranda markets and a steam train, its bloody hot lol....port douglas is meant to be gorgeous. the fishing and scuba diving is spectacular. your right near the great barrier reef so be sure to have a dive. you can go to green island for the day and see the reefs from there. shopping and food is good try stockland shopping centre. backpackers inn is on mulgrave rd about 2 blocks from the centre of town....

Transport ey......well as someone said earlier JET STAR is a great little airline in australia it will cost you about 60-100 to get from melbourne to the gold coast or 40 - 90 from sydney to the goldy . check the sight out its definately worth it.....you can catch trains around all major cities they are pretty cheap or buses are also cheap there are bus stops every where u look. absolutely everywhere and busses are really convenient. only a few dollars to get to the other side of town. stay away from taxis they are evil. for a 2 dollar buss trip your looking at a 20 dollar taxi trip.

if you need any help or a tour guide around the gold coast if you stop by then just let me know and ill come show ya some cool stuff. if you got ne more questions then jsut give me a holla.
Flying_high is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #18
Certified Wise

Great post Flying high! Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:11 PM   #19
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

oh and if you want a cheap but good solid meal in sydney, go to the lansdowne on broadway. its our local pub, they have a big menu and its all $5 as long as you buy a drink as well. gooooood steak or fish and chips or burgers or whatever you like. umm and let me know if you do go there cause i'll go with you. i eat there alot.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:43 AM   #20
TPunk Recognized

hey thanks for all your help everyone!

i just made it to sydney. i spent the last 4ish days in melb then hopped a greyhound into town. well all i have is my lonely planet so wish me luck!!!
i will be staying at wakeup! right next to central station for the next two nights. will prob stay in town 2-3 days then i will prob be off to surfers paradise/brisbane area. i purch'd a bus pass that is good from melb to carins but i need to figure out where they stop in between. i think i will be heading up the carins from here then flying to alice springs to camp and check out uluru. then off to n.z. april 11th.
i dont have a mobile phone the only way to contact me is through here to my email at tortiechris@yahoo.com

thanks !!!