water purification - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > Health & Safety
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

Health & Safety Health concerns worldwide, scams, and other safety issues. Don't get ripped off! Also post your safety prevention tips!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-15-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
Members

Send a message via AIM to Elixir Send a message via Yahoo to Elixir

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.a...id_basket=99592

worth buying? id rather hear something about a product that seems too good to be true before i buy it.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Not sure. I looked at the this Nalgene one and am really thinking of getting it. They look good. I'm thinking of getting one for Europe. I know water is cheap/easy to get there, but if I can't find it in a bottle I'm iffy. No, I'm not some water snob, but I sometimes have bad reactions from tap water. Anyhow, it's ten bucks, you can buy it and try it out. If it sucks, well, it's only ten bucks down the drain.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Cool! It's like a little Brita I've used the PUR hand-crank ones, which are great when you need to pull water from a river/stream/lake - if that's what you intend to do, you should probably go that route instead of a drip. Most crank/pump filters have an attachment that fits the top of a Nalgene bottle so you can pump purified water directly into your vessel.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
Artist of Life

a little off topic...BUT

Bottled water tends to be of inferior quality than water by municipal standards. That why you'll never hear water companies say their water is actually better. They'd get sued. I've been told this by a water-expert guest lecturer during university... so drinking tap water tend to be the same, if not better than bottled.

My guess as to why bottled tastes better is because of the lower amount of chorination they put the water through...
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

I have heard that as well...but it does depend onm the country, region, city, and locality
Old 04-19-2005, 12:54 PM   #6
Members

someone i know went on a pepsi tour, and they said that their water is literalyl right out of the tap.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:50 PM   #7
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

I have a Sweetwater made by Cascade Designs/MSR

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:39 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

This is another one of those things that i had never even considered. How important is it to take water purification/filtration gear with you on your travels?? I read that other thread about the chick who got a leach stuck up her nose so I'm guessing that it is pretty damn important to take this gear with you. Do you need to take this stuff with you if you don't plan on drinking water out of the rivers?? Or do you need it for all water in general?? Can you get water bladders with a filter in them??
Old 04-20-2005, 03:56 AM   #9
Members

Bota makes good stuff. The bottle you're looking at, by it's description, filters out parasites. Not sure if it's filtration is fine enough to filter bacteria as well. Look at MSR, Katadyn, and Nalgene.

My recomendation for bacteria and protozoa (they also claim eliminating some virus' but this hasn't been substanciated yet) is Aquamira. http://www.mountainsports.com/mssearch.asp...l&Detail=095300
It's better than just chlorine drops or iodine since it's a mix of chlorine dioxide and phosphoric acid to oxidize (kill) the bugs. You don't get funny tasting water like you would with chlorine or iodine. The draw back is it takes 15 - 30 min to purify a liter of water with Aquamira drops and I'm not sure about it eliminating virus'.

If you're in an area where the water may be viraly contaminated (parasites or bacteria=diarhea, virus=meningitis and hepatitis which are much more serious) then use iodine (which tastes like hell in my opinion) or chlorine drops. MSR makes a product called ViralStop. http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/acc...tail.cfm/SW1400
They say it's for use in conjunction with their pump filter but if you're killing Virus', you're probably killing everything else too. They're just trying to sell you more than you need. I have no experience with ViralStop so I don't know how it tastes. What you could do is use the ViralStop drops in a liter bottle that's also a filter like the Bota you're looking at (though it's only 24 oz). Might take care of the taste and you'll have clean water even if you scooped it out of a Mexican toilet.
Croaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:04 AM   #10
Members

whew, pricey!!

im gonna buy one of those ones i mentioned and try it out at home, if i get sick here its ok! i wonder if you need to buy replacement filters or something? i saw nothing mentioned about it.

heh heh...mexican toilet...
Old 04-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #11
Members

Usually with filter bottles you get a few hundred liters worth of filtering before you need to replace the filter. Unless you go with an expensive bottle, filters will cost as much as a new bottle system. So instead of replacing filters you just treat it as a disposable unit, use it up then get a new one.

With Bota's you get 200 refills per filter and the filters are replaceable. The replacement filters are $10.25.
Croaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:42 PM   #12
Members

Send a message via MSN to Pepin_151 Send a message via Yahoo to Pepin_151

Any pump from MSR would be a sound investment.Go check them out at MEC.ca for the best prices in the world along with tons of other hiking/backpacking goodies.The place is like a candy store for adults.

I'm powered by Winegums,mmmm winegum
Pepin_151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 10:44 PM   #13
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Quote:
Originally posted by Pepin_151@Apr 20 2005, 03:41 PM
Any pump from MSR would be a sound investment.Go check them out at MEC.ca for the best prices in the world along with tons of other hiking/backpacking goodies.The place is like a candy store for adults.
^ exactly right

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:20 AM   #14
Members

instead of making a new post, i figured that i would add this here. i just ordered some things at Sierra Trading Post and i got some crazy deals. my purchase was $41.80 (not including shipping), and i saved $79.05!! thats nearly twice what i spent. so, if i were to ever shamelessly plug a website, here it is!!
Old 04-26-2005, 01:26 PM   #15
Members

i got that water bottle (See the link at the beginning of post) and tested it out- its been 5 hours since i drank from a stream down the road and i havent been to the potty once!!

so far it is workign and il keep you all updated on my toilet schedule for the next few hours.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #16
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by Elixir@Apr 26 2005, 04:25 PM
i got that water bottle (See the link at the beginning of post) and tested it out- its been 5 hours since i drank from a stream down the road and i havent been to the potty once!!

so far it is workign and il keep you all updated on my toilet schedule for the next few hours.
lol, that's just what I've always wanted, a detailed account of how often/what someone does in the washroom.............

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:14 PM   #17
Members

i like to keep my audience entertained

the operation was a success!! no potty run at all.