T-Punks: Help! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
TPunk Moderator

Default T-Punks: Help!

Guy/Girls I want to go on another trip right now!!! I don't want to wait another 2 years (till I graduate for university) before I go on another one...

I'm not too sure what I should do...

I have only been back home for 2 months after being away in Europe for the last 6 months and all I think about is going back out there.

Two things are stopping me from going tomorrow: school and $$.

I am 1/2 well more then 1/2, more like 9/10 tempted to extend my break from university pretty much indefinitely. Now I don't look at it as dropping out of university, more like just taking a break.

To do this I would have to go back to my old job for 3-4 months and make enough money for another extended trip (6-12 months). So I'm looking at probably a year and a half, allowing a month here and there for either longer trip or working a bit longer.

Ok so there's the money issue how it's laid out in my head, the next is school. So I just turned 26 this month, YAY I'm older!! I just left the work force 2 years ago to start my university degree. So that puts me right in the middle of school and wanting to extend my break even longer:S I know I shouldn't let society pressure me but I feel as though I'm already "behind" in the whole "game of life" shit. All of my friends are done university, on their second degrees, buying houses, getting married (some even getting divorced) and having children. Here I am, I rent, don't have a girlfriend, and can't even focus on my 2nd year in my 1st degree. (Sorry for the long post, I have a lot of things on my mind and just letting them out. That's if anyone even reads this this far sorry).

So thats pretty much everything now: stay in school for another 2 years, hating it and not focusing on it with my mind overseas. Or going back to work for a bit and then hitting the road again....

What do you all think??!?!!?!??!!?!
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Marcus Nappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
The " ... " queen of TP!

I think you need to think back to when you first decided you wanted to go to university. What were your motives? If you still want/believe in any of the things that first drew you to school in the first place I say suck it up and get through the next 2 years of your school. It's a lot harder to get back into uni once you've dropped out. You can always take a semester somewhere else on exchange, or travel during the summer or maybe take some distance ed classes while working to save/travel.

If however, you were just getting a degree because "you felt you should" and you didn't ever actually want it then I guess it's not for you, and that's cool too.

*edited to add* I felt just as restless as you when I returned to school after taking a year hiatus, but I knew that my degree would get me closer to where I want to end up eventually, and it was worth it. I'm about to graduate in april and I am sooooo glad I stuck it out.

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia

Last edited by simply_angelic; 03-06-2010 at 06:20 PM.
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #3
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

^I'm with simply. Two years is not that long and you will regret not getting the degree out of the way now. If you feel this extreme need to travel now, chances are you'll feel it when you are done as well. The difference being that now, you'll still have the degree hanging over your head if you drop out to travel and later you won't. JUST DO IT! Take a small trip to quench your thrist for now and buckle down to get the degree. Really, getting a degree is going to be a pain in the ass for any traveler at any point in your life because you have to stop and work in one place. You're already in it. JUST DO IT!

So my advise....plan a small trip and then continue on with school. you'll regret it later if you don't get this out of the way now. seriously!

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #4
TPunk Moderator

The problem is that you've only been home for 2 months. This was your first big trip right? Its really really hard to comprehend the fact that you will go back. I was feeling exactly the same way you were when I got home. This is normal feelings, even though its probably one of the suckiest feelings ever. Everyone goes through it. Stick it out. Before you know it you will be on that transatlantic flight again.

But getting on that next transatlantic flight...I say study abroad!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I feel diff... but im a fuckiing crazy backpacker.... The "game of life" is bullshit.... If you want to travel now, DO IT!!!! You never know, after the degree, you may end up with a "real" job, a wife, a mortgage, and NEVER get to travel LONG term again... As Tpunk states, Take the world by the horns!!!! Make some cash and hit the road.... You dont want to wake up a few years from now and regret the "chance" you had to live life on the road..... But thats just me... I sold everything I owned and left... Its not the choice for everyone, but it was for me.....

Last edited by marc873; 03-08-2010 at 07:13 AM.
marc873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #6
Rabidly Xenophilic

don't forget if you took any loans for those first two years that you'll enter repayment once you leave school.

Have you looked at study abroad? For example, the entire rest of my Spanish class in Buenos Aires was there through a semester abroad program, learning Spanish and getting 30 credits back at their home uni. And I guarantee you'd enjoy it!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
Admin

Well, I don't have a degree. I did some college back in the day, but it wasn't for me at the time. Sometimes I wish I had gone all the way, but I am just not the student type. I do, however, always keep myself busy learning and implementing.

Only once or twice, while applying for corporate jobs, did I wish I had a degree as it was a requirement for a couple of jobs that I wanted to apply at. Then again, I'm not really the corporate type (I would rather own a successful corp than work for one=) so it's a good thing that I didn't get fully sucked into that world.

As far as work is concerned, not having a degree has actually allowed me to learn and focus on how to work from home which gives me more time with family and for myself. A "job" job won't ever give me that.

The funny thing is, when I look back, the main reason that I wish I had gone to a university and graduated is for all the activities, ball games, parties, chicks, good times, and the people you meet.

So, if you think you really need that degree, then focus on school and just save up for quick vacations during the school break.

Or, ride your momentum, be like Marc and take the world by the horns! He's right. If you're not extremely disciplined, you can get sucked up in a relationship which can lead to kids, a mortgage, debt, etc... and it can be an eternity before you get to travel freely again (like your first trip). This is exactly what has happened to me and do you know how painful it is to run a travel site/community and not be able to go when you want?! (Although, things are changing....)

You'll never, ever, regret or forget your travels and, as you know, it is a real life altering cultural education that you won't get in a classroom.

So, if you really need to get it out of your system and hit the road again...do it!
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:47 AM   #8
lover of Germany

I think it really depends on why you went there in the first place. If you have a life goal/plan that requires university then I say stay the course and then take some time out for some serious travel also travel a little in between.
On the otherhand if you have no goals or plans (like me) than uni might not be right for you right now in which case my advice would be travel, learn, grow and then think about coming back.
However my immidiate advice is think it through as you've just come back from a trip and you are in that stage where you want more. Wait until that phase passes and then see where you are.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I can't really add to the advice already given. Tough choice. I chose the focus on school route myself.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:45 AM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

How much of your own country have you visited? Canada's a big place with a lot to do, the one thing backpackers doing the hostel run sometimes rarely get to see is the locals so you'd be a popular guy amongst the people at the hostel.

When I was in Paris there was a local guy there because he was between apartments or his apartment was being renovated but he took a gang of us out around Paris and we all had a great time, even he said it was one of the better nights he had out in Paris.

Travelings all about meeting different people and having new experiences, you don't have to be on the other side of the planet to do that. Sign up on couchsurfers too and take advantage of that travel ethos right in your own home.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:13 AM   #11
The " ... " queen of TP!

Ha, you clearly haven't been to Newfoundland....^^

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_angelic View Post
Ha, you clearly haven't been to Newfoundland....^^
I've heard of it, just watched a documentary on BC bud too (the union it was called you can watch it on google video), really want to go there now.

The point is though, people are usually obsessed with international travel and over look the great times they can have in their own country. It can be a much more comfortable holiday, you don't have to worry about allot of things because you know the language, the people and you have all your rights intact, no need to get travel insurance because you have your national health insurance.

Just thought I'd throw that into the mix.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTurk View Post
no need to get travel insurance because you have your national health insurance.
Ha, you clearly haven't been to America....^^

It might be better for us to get injured in a foreign country!
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #14
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

A friend of mine broke her nose here (in the UK) and still hasn't seen a bill and they didn't take her information when she tried to offer it.

Man, I love Europe.

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
TPunk Moderator

Thanks for all the comments and ideas T-Punks!! I've been thinking about a decision pretty much since I returned home from my trip. So far I have decided to go back to work until at least September. I've looked into a few study abroad programs and based on money, come September, I will probably go on a year long exchange. I'm thinking about going back to Poland, Krakow in particular.... That's as far as I have gotten on a decision. I'm really tempted however to take Mark and Tony's advice and just go tho... Don't be surprised if there's a post in the next 6 months that says I'm leaving to India or Peru ....
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 03-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #16
Admin

@meturk- I hear what you're saying bro and I agree too. However, some hostels in the US won't let you sleep there unless you are from out of town. I tried this in LA. It would have been cool as there were some betty's staying there.

@henry- Hey Henry, in time the answer will come to you. These next six months will go by quick (just like your last trip!) and traveling after September will be cheaper and a lot less touristy no matter where you go anyways. So, until Sept, keep the pedal to the metal and focus!

Hey guys, a quick note on healthcare in Europe. Since I'm a resident of Spain, I thought I'd take advantage of their healthcare and I just had a cataract removed from my left eye (I know, I'm way too young for one, but not sure how I got it) that I haven't been able to see out of in about 4 years.....for FREE (saved thousands)!!!!

Old 03-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #17
Artist of Life

Hey man, tough spot you are in. Everyone gets that 'after glo' urge to head right back on the road as soon as you get back -- but I personally think its important to sort out all your shit back home.

Travel should not be an escape from your 'real' life, it should be a part of it, but if you travel knowing that you will be heading back home into a pile of school/money/career problems, its probably best to sort these out NOW.

Travel is possibly the best addition to human life and the best thing in the world, but being satisfied and happy with all your affairs at home (unless you don't have a home base) is equally as important to your development as a human being. And it sounds like you want to sort of your shit at home: school/career/etc...

and of course two birds with one stone (school abroad) is also a good call

Anyway just my 2 cents
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #18
TPunk Moderator

I don't think I'm trying to run away from anything in my "real" life. The only reason I'm in university is pretty much just to say I did and get a degree. All I want to to is travel around the world and teach english. My original plan was to goto university, get a degree and then travel around teaching, or, goto university get a BA then go onto get my BEd and then go overseas and teach.... so pretty much I just want to travel.

So I think that it wont be a totally terrible idea to take a break here or there from school....
Old 03-15-2010, 05:13 AM   #19
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryJones View Post
I don't think I'm trying to run away from anything in my "real" life. The only reason I'm in university is pretty much just to say I did and get a degree. All I want to to is travel around the world and teach english. My original plan was to goto university, get a degree and then travel around teaching, or, goto university get a BA then go onto get my BEd and then go overseas and teach.... so pretty much I just want to travel.

So I think that it wont be a totally terrible idea to take a break here or there from school....

For more info on teaching english abroad, check out Dave esl cafe.

If Madrid is on your radar, then check out puebloingles.com. (click the top right corner)

I can vouch for this place and they have a very good name here in Madrid. I know a couple of teachers there that just intended to do their volunteer program for the summer and one ended up staying for 4 years and the other for 8 yrs with great pay now.

If you need more info on this place, send me a pm.