first time in europe - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-04-2004, 04:11 PM   #1
Members

Thumbs up

My friend and I are hoping to visit Italy, England, France, and Greece next summer. We're both 18 and this will be our first time in a foreign country. I was wondering if anyone had any good advice about where to stay, what to see, including any good clubs, what to wear, or any good places to eat. Also, neither of us speak any foreign languages, will this be a big problem? I'm trying to find out now so that we can try to pick up a few basic phrases before we go.
aviaitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 04:39 PM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

I wouldn't spend any time worrying about speaking local languages. You'll be able to find someone who speaks enough English to help you out and most people know the important English words (i.e HELP!! )

Italy is probably the only country where its a little harder to find English speaking people. Kids seem to speak English really well in Italy.

As for places stay, the best resource is to ask other travellers at train stations. What better reviews of a hostel then from someone who just stayed at one? This is also a good way to find a hostel if you showed up at a city on a whim.
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:37 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Can't help much on the places to stay, but to see, well, Italy is wonderful. I definitely recommend southern Italy...it's a lot slower paced, and has some amazing sights. The Amalfi Coast is gorgeous, and if you base yourself out of Sorrento for awhile, you can check out:
* Pompeii and Herculanaeum (which were covered by the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius, and are great Roman sites).
* Paestum, not far from Salerno, with a trio of amazing Greek style temples.
* Capri, the famous jet set island and hideaway of the Roman Emperor Tiberius
* Naples, if you crave the big city scene

My buddy just got back from his honeymoon, which included a few days in the Cinque Terre villages in northwestern Italy. He says they were the highlight of the two weeks...lots of great hiking between the villages, great seascapes, and just a wonderful pace of life.

Tell us what kind of things you guys like to do, and maybe we can recommend more...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:02 PM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to crious

Ahhhh yes the 18 over seas adventure. You two will have a blast!! Do not get to bend out of shape on the language barrier. Most countries over seas now require English as a learned language in school so you will be able to get by. As far as where to go let us know what you are looking to do. For clubbing and partying you are looking at the big cities mostly. For culture and scenery you are going to want to hit small towns that most people do not talk about. I hope you have a great trip!!!

Mikie

"New Pack= $300"
"New Hiking boots= $98"
"Travel guides for countries= $115"
"Falling off the stupid Great Wall of China......PRICELESS"
crious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:48 PM   #5
Members

I'm looking for a little culture and a few good parties. We figured that we'd check out most of the cultural, famous sites in the day and look for clubs in the evening.
aviaitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:15 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Welcome to the boards BRO.......

My friend and I (We are both 18) went to Europe Backpacking this summer....it was both of ours first real trip traveling in a foreign country alone...we had a great time!!! We went all over Europe in 2 monthes and saw the good, the bad, and the ugly of Europe....you will do the same.....

We were in London a few nights....its a fun place but it is hella expensive....I dont think its a good place to start your trip cause you will burn through your cash like there is no tomorrow....

In Italy, I would reccommend checking out Florence and Rome...they should offer you the good mix of both Enlightening culture during the day and Great clubbing scene during the night......(I will never forget those Super FINE Austrian sisters i met as Amadeus, a chill bar in Florence).........plus in both those cities you shouldnt have too hard a time with the language barrier.....

France is all around awesome....obviously you should check out Paris....but you might also want to make a stop on your way south to Italy in one of the cities in Provence region or along the riviera....perhaps in Aix-en-provence or Nice.......those french women know how to treat a man...their philosophy is "its better to give then to receive )............

In Greece we went to Corfu an island in the Ionian Sea....we stayed at the infamous hostel THE PINK PALACE....there is tons of info available about this hostel....its a nice place to relax, party, and meet other english speaking young folk...there are tons of American, Canadian, Austrailian, British, and South African backpackers that go here.....its like an all inclusive resort for like 30 Euro a night...(that inculdes breakfast, dinner, nice bathing facilities, 3 person private rooms, a balcony, and use of all the facilities).......you should also check out Athens for a day or two....Crete is a cool island too....in fact, you cant really go wrong with any of the Greek Islands....they are all so beautiful and Mellow!!!!

I would urge you to also consider checking out Prague, Czech Republic seeing as how that was another one of my favorite places, but its kinda outa the way from where you're planning on going.......

If I were you...and i was doing it all over again....I would get the 3 country 6 or 8 day travel select pass from EURAIL for 3 countries......that would be perfect!!! Fly into Paris and start there....then travel down to the south of France.....then over to Florence.......then down to Rome (stopping in Modena where they make Ferraris, of course....and then also stopping in at Pisa, just to see the leaning tower...dont actually stay in Pisa though...its a waste....).........then after Rome take a ferry over to Corfu and stay at the pink palace or go to another Greek Island....then go to Athens Greece for a few nights and then fly via a cheap airline (VIRGIN EXPRESS) from Athens to London....spend 3 or 4 nights in London and then Fly home from London.....

Travel Expenses:
Rail Pass: $300
Air Fare to and From Europe: $650
Easy Jet Air Fare from Athens to London if you book about 4 monthes in advance: $40
Grand Total for barebone travel expenses: about $1000
AdamTheCultured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:50 PM   #7
Members

I spent a month in Greece about 3 years ago and it is awsome! The people are very nice and speak plenty of the good English. If you can find a way visit a place called Monemvasia. It was by far my most favorite place in Greece. It is a mid-evil town atop a mountain. In order to get up there you have to climb through all these hidden passages throughout the town. So cool and a great day trip if your on one if the islands nearby. Also, great excercise..it takes about 2 hours to get to the top. And one more tip...beware of Ouzo...drink some, then some more...you'll know what I mean in about 20-30 minutes. Have fun!
cubslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:12 PM   #8
TPunk Recognized

ooooo...........OOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZOOOOOO OOOOOOO.....oooooooooo

ah yes, Ouzo....Take his warning to heart....haha.....I have some fond memories of the stuff....well at least the small bit I can remember.......but it will definately sneak up on you and you'll be drunker then your comfort level desired if you dont drink warily........
AdamTheCultured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:23 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to crious

Quote:
ah yes, Ouzo....Take his warning to heart....haha.....I have some fond memories of the stuff....well at least the small bit I can remember.......but it will definately sneak up on you and you'll be drunker then your comfort level desired if you dont drink warily........
Having all Greek friends and visting the Greek Isle's many of times I can completely agree with this statement.

Below are a few guide lines I have now made for my self. They will save you great embaressment..LOL

* Drinking Ouzo near a nude beach is never safe!! You will most definitly see it as a good idea to walk around naked. Take warning curtian parts of your body still burn no matter what you cover your little friend with.

* Never keep phone numbers handy while drinking Ouzo. Though you may find it great fun to call the states when it is 2 am there...you will hear about it when you return.

This is the most important one of all

* America has a thing called wisky dick. Atleast with that you can still have fun.
Greece has Ouzo dick....basicly you are just fucked..LMAO go find a cold shower because that will be the only lift in spirts you will have...LMAO

Any one have any more????

Mikie

"New Pack= $300"
"New Hiking boots= $98"
"Travel guides for countries= $115"
"Falling off the stupid Great Wall of China......PRICELESS"
crious is offline   Reply With Quote