Sweet Jesus, God Help Me - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-07-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
Members

Question

so me and my good friend T-bone are heading over to Europe for around a year, and I need help on the whole passport visa innoculation deal. Planning on heading to whever we feel like, so it's not so much Europe, but the world outside of N & S America... does it cost money at all to go from one country to the next? Like, a "Give us five bucks or else you can't get in" fee? What exactly is a visa? Do I need a work visa if I plan on picking up odd jobs, like maybe working in a McDonald's-esque type place? What kind of shots do I need to get into certain countries? Should I take certain shots regardless? Help!
Interpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:01 PM   #2
The " ... " queen of TP!

It really depends on where ure going/how you plan on travelling. I know that there are usually fees for planes....some trains....certain countries u hv to get visas just to travel through, etc...where exactly were u thinkin of goin through & with what means of transportation?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:14 PM   #3
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

If you're a USian, check out the State Department's web site for travel requirements for each country...

http://state.gov/travel/

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:52 PM   #4
Members

we are planning on going through Great Britain, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, all the countries around there...um, maybe Russia, possibly Iceland, definitely down to Africa, Egypt, back across Asia, China, N & S Korea (?), Japan if we can, maybe Australia. All over. Everywhere we can.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:09 AM   #5
Members

thanks for deh URL, omisan, it's helping me greatly- have you guys ever had any problems with proving that you have a return ticket out of the country? what does that exactly entail? do I just need to show them that I have 10 bucks for some kind of Greyhound bus out of there, or what?
Old 09-08-2004, 09:46 AM   #6
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I've only been asked once, and that's because I looked and smelled like some sort of drug-mule scumbag.

One time at passport control in London, they said they needed proof that I had a ticket out of the country to make sure I'm not some bum trying to bum a job there without a work visa... No big deal, really - I just showed them a printout of my e-ticket from Virgin, but it could've been anything. I asked them what would happen if I didn't have it on me, being an electronic ticket and all, and they said it's a formality. Not sure how it is for other ports, though, but it's best to carry printouts of your itinerary/tickets/etc., just in case the man hassles you.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #7
The " ... " queen of TP!

Quote:
Originally posted by omisan@Sep 8 2004, 12:46 PM
I've only been asked once, and that's because I looked and smelled like some sort of drug-mule scumbag.
oh god that must have been an extremely sexy moment for your you omi ....just wondering....exactly how long did this phase reign?

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
Old 09-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #8
The " ... " queen of TP!

......or is it still going........haha

-James Dean

Old 09-08-2004, 08:11 PM   #9
Members

what if you don't really have a set date to leave, and that you were just going walk out...whenever?

Also, what's to stop me an' my friend from just crossing borders wherever? No country has a fence all around their property, and I don't think that i'd be in any kind of situation where i'd get caught for something like that, would I?

If that's feasible, then why bother?
Old 09-08-2004, 09:57 PM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to crious
Thumbs down

Western Europe you will not have many problems at all since all the countries in the EU have open border policies for US citizens. Now as far as Russia, Northern Ireland, Africa with the exception of South Africa, most of the Asian countries, some of eastern Europe, and the middle east if you get caught with out proper visas you could be up shits creek with out a paddle.

For example:

You are in Russia and get mugged, not only can the US Embassy do nothing but you will also be thrown in jail, have to pay some huge fine (we are talking thousands of dollars), and deported from the country on your buck.

Now being asked for your visa is not a common thing. I have only needed to show mine at boarder crossings, Air ports, train stations, etc... Now with that said when I was in China though I was hassled a couple of times while wondering on my own. I had to show my visa witch is in your passport already and another form of ID and they still asked me to go back to my hotel a few times because there was a curfew for tourists.

Word of advice get your visas and save your self the headache of worry. Plus now a lot of countries have it were you can pay for a temp. Visa right at the border.

My motto for travel:
Quote:
"Better to be safe than very very very sorry"
Ohhhh almost forgot there are also a lot of countries that have a closed border policy on your list. For instance North Korea and a bunch of countries in Africa. They do not even allow American's to enter there country. An China has this thing were you are only allowed to go to certain parts of the country other parts are off limits to foreigners. An a word of advice if you are going to want to hit Russia, be very careful it is not a safe country, I go there all the time on business and it is still pretty scary even to me. They are a dirt poor country that used to be wealthy and it really shows some times. Guided tours are the best policy for Russia in my opinion.

Have a great trip!!! But make sure to read up before you go off on it

Mikie

"New Pack= $300"
"New Hiking boots= $98"
"Travel guides for countries= $115"
"Falling off the stupid Great Wall of China......PRICELESS"
crious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 10:06 PM   #11
TPunk Recognized

Hey I just re read the first post and noticed the question on Vaccination and Immunizations. Check out the CDC web site for a list of what they suggest. If you are going to Africa you will need to have a recent AIDS test and melaria drugs for a lot of the countries, plus all you Hepititus shots. Check out the web site it goes over all this stuff.

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/

Mikie

"New Pack= $300"
"New Hiking boots= $98"
Old 09-08-2004, 10:09 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Ahhhhhhh I forgot one more thing. For the working thing. As long as you stick to cash jobs in small towns you will be fine. If you want a job for a check you have no chance. Plus some countries really take it seriously in the EU and will deport you. If you want to get some extra cash look to the small towns were they will pay you cash for a days work.

Mikie

"New Pack= $300"
"New Hiking boots= $98"