One way tickets - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-25-2004, 06:03 PM   #1
TPunk Emeritus

I hadn't thought about this until my dad mentioned it, but how easy would it be to get a standby ticket back to United States once in Europe. I am thinking that it might be beneficial to get a one way ticket over there and then when I decide to return, to go to the airport and get a last minute flight for a dirt cheap price. I know that goes on the US and assume you can do it in Europe to, idf say sonmeone cancells thier flight or if not all seats are sold. I could afford to wait around for a few days in whatever city if thats how long it took to get a good deal.

I don't like the idea of having a specific date at a specific city which I have to be in when I want to come back, and if I can save money doing something different I'd like to. It seems to be hard to get a decently proced round trip ticket that allows for date and city changes for the return flight. Anyone have any advice on this?
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:43 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Not sure if airlines still do standby tickets...I'd say just call some of them up. Preferably one that will be near the area you'll be ending your travels.

Where do you think you'll be ending up, generally (UK, Mediterranean, E. Europe)?

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 11:00 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to ashpunk

I'm having the same problem. I dont have a visa... but what would happen if I show up in london with a one way ticket. If I prove I have enough money to get home will they let me go? Its either paying $400 or $900... plus whatever the change fee's would be.... and the fact that I dont want to have to come back to london to go home. Help!

"Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still"
"Not all who wander are lost"
ashpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:02 PM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Im just trying to think what the maximum time stay in the uk is without a visa... Probably 90days or something like that... True?

i think thats even true if your on a visa, have to leave the country for whatever time (1day even) and then re-enter..

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 04:45 PM   #5
Members

Wink

If you go to london without a return ticket be prepared to be hassled by the passport people A LOT. Bring all sorts of documentation like bank statements, ect to prove that you have enough money for your stay there. Last spring I went there on a round trip e-ticket and they held me for like 3 hours and searched through all of my stuff (they even read my journal). Seems they have a huge problem with foreigners trying to move there.

Overall I'd say it would be better to buy a round trip ticket. One ways, are generally pretty expensive and I highly doubt you'll be able to find a super cheap ticket back while you're in europe. Maybe you should look into getting a ticket that is easily changable. I think most tickets sold through STATravel are changable for a 100$ fee or something. Or you could buy an open jaw ticket so that you could fly into London and leave from say, Amsterdam.

hope you have better luck in london than me,
jeni
UK:OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 05:06 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Yeah, id expected to be held up in customs, but not for three hours and all my shit gone through. Whaaaaaaaaaaaat!

ah well, my one ticket is all i have... but ill have the cash required to get back (unless i spend it)

Late
Leeroy

Old 03-26-2004, 08:26 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

i would strongly suggest getting an open or easily changabe return ticket.
If u ever watched heathrow (the tv show) a few times sent ppl back to where they came from without letting them leave the airport.
and that would suck big time.

zylah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:24 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to ashpunk

Ewwww... we dont want that now. Ok ok you've convinced me to give them all my money for a round trip. Grrrr... but its all for the greater good right? God this trip is going to be great!

"Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still"
"Not all who wander are lost"
ashpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:07 PM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

Can they really send you back just for flying in on a one way ticket? That seems really excessive. The problem is that these cherap online flights don't seem to allow for changable tickets. For that I thihk I would have to go to a travel agent, and I don't want to do that. I can put up with a little hassle at the airport for the freedom gained by not having a set return date and time. The one way to London is only 464 dollars, which is basically half of the round trip I am looking at.

Anyway, I am still deciding, but I will buy a ticket tonight and let everyone know.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 09:17 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to tecia

Hey somn. when i was going to buy my ticket and told them i was going to do a one way and get the other ticket later they would not let me. They said i had to have some kind of #'s to give them to prove it was ok to have a one way. When i told them i was not staying and that i was going to come back they told me they could not sell me a ticket with out a return flight. I hope this helps Tecia.

T & A rule!!!

tecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 06:31 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

Maybe it's my trustworthy face, but they did not ask to see my return ticket when I went through customs in the UK last week. They DID seem a bit more interested in my plans, though, and if I had been vague about when I'm leaving, perhaps they would have.

Hey, I just thought of something. Rather than buy an expensive half of a roundtrip back to the states, why not buy a ticket to ANYWHERE out of the UK -- really cheap -- one way, to prove you're leaving?

Ryan Air, EasyJet, all those discount European carriers have some pretty cheap tickets. I've even heard of sales for 1 British pound.

So, just tell them you're leaving (yes, I'm saying lie) on the date you're not-to-be-used ticket says, and if they ask for proof, voila!

Here are their website, which I just checked, and they advertise seats for 1 pound...
Ryan Air: http://www.ryanair.com/
EasyJet: http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/index.asp

What do you think, guys...does this solve the return ticket question for Customs?

worldwidemike (always knew I was a genius )
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 12:45 AM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Im liking your thinking there WWM...

I could have a ticket to say paris (that costs say $5, and have no intention of using), and say look, im leaving on this date, let me in...

It may look suss with my 2 year working visa in my passport, but i need not really show em the visa...

Hmmm, interesting though WWM, you really do know all the loopholes dont you.

Old 03-29-2004, 05:32 PM   #13
TPunk Recognized

If you have a 2 year working visa why are you worried about a return ticket ? I thought it wasn't possible to buy a ticket that far in advance - it'd be a fairly standard problem. You'd just need to show proof of finances.

Wyzfen
Wyzfen is offline   Reply With Quote