Where should I go? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-16-2004, 03:23 PM   #1
Members

Send a message via MSN to kari&amber

I'm planning a trip to Scotland and England at the end of April, since this is my first 'real' travelling experience (assuming resort travel doesn't count). I'm kind of lost in the travel planning department, I will only be there about 3 weeks and I'm flying into Edinburgh, so what would you guys recommend seeing? Thanks!
kari&amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:11 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
I'm planning a trip to Scotland and England
Wicked!!!

Quote:
I'm kind of lost in the travel planning department
We have all been there...

Quote:
I will only be there about 3 weeks
It could be worse, you could only be there 2 weeks 6 days...Make the best of the time you have, not regret the time you don't

Quote:
so what would you guys recommend seeing
Take the time to wonder about Edinburgh, 3 days should do it...every old building is worth looking at...here is a link for Edinburgh Sights

I would say make at least a day trip to Glasgow...its pretty cheap to get there by train and only takes just over an hour...when you get there, here is link for sights there Glasgow Sights. This not at the top of my Fav cities, but Dio loved it, so an opinion I will not give, just make the effort to come up with your own.

An before you leave you should do something that I really wish I had of done..visit the Highlands...

You can prob get a cheap flight from Edinburgh to London or Manchester...check Easyjet.com, Ryanair.com or BMIbaby.com...check them out cause it might be cheaper than a train...

London is just to big to start naming off things to see and places to go, but a couple of my favs are British Museum, Hyde Park, and Piccadilly Circus...I could sit there all day and people watch...and The White Cliffs Of Dover

I have hung out in Colchester and found a few good bars, and great people there, so that might be worth the trip aswell

Thats about what I got for ya for now, I think some of the peeps in England might be able to elaberate further...

I would like to you to the family!!!!

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 09:09 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

I agree with CD -- you have to get up to the Highlands. My favorites were the Hebrides in the west of Scotland: Mull and Skye were the ones I liked most.

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 05:25 AM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilBill
Talking

Follow your own DREAM destinations in Scotland and England; if your main reason for going there is work related then the best thing to do is to research the choices by reading famous historical novels taking place there, an LP or Rough Travel Guidebook which you an overview on culture, history and sigtseeing and the a few travel magazines.

After traveling for most of my 10 years after finishing high school I became exposed to other world travelers who found themselves traveling without the EXCITEMENT that goes along with making it to countries and cultures you'd always dreamed about going. That was an important experience for me which helped me identify the DIFFERENCE between LIVING YOUR TRAVEL DREAMS and DRIFTING. I KNEW then that I didn't ever want to accidentally fall into that "like a rollingstone" lifestyle.

Of course, after hearing other travelers talking about some place in the world they LOVED, sharing their adventures with you the DREAM of going there can be spontaneous. When we went to Europe we had NO PLANS nor knew much about Asia but after a few HIGH ENERGY slide show parties we became enthusiastic and made plans to head for Asia.

Sightseeing is great sometimes but REMEMBER it's the local people you meet, take photos of and spend time with which provide you with MEMORIES of a LIFETIME! Sometimes the sights seen fade away but the friendly faces of the children and elderly, especially, wherever you go bring back vivid memories.
PhilBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 06:30 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Arrow

^ One thing I'd love to do is take more photos of locals - especially like when I was in China and saw so many different interesting looks! Problem is, it feels just so incredibly rude and touristy to take photos of random people on the street. And while you could ask them to pose - that'd only feel even more awkward and touristy - and I want natural shots, not posed ones, anyways. In the end, I usually just try to sneek shots here and there...as if THAT ain't awkward and touristy, either.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 10:28 AM   #6
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

I wouldn't have problems taking pictures of people in their natural environment. I do that here just for fun because I like to have pictures of people in normal life. Although sometimes when you go to do it, you create that whole idea that everyone is loking at you. I just do my best to ignore it.

Actually people have gotten mad at me because I prefer the natural photo as opposed to the posed look, like voyd said, and they get mad cause they wanted to pose. Then I have to explain that I am going for the natural look, as if that camera didn't even exist.

Not to say I don't have my share of pleasantly posed photos. Those are nice sometimes too.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:45 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Really, Rob? Any "pleasantly posed" photos you'd like to share with us...?

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 07:45 AM   #8
Members

I have to add that if you get into London, I really LOVED Trafalgar Square.
phlipfudge23 is offline   Reply With Quote