New to backpacking and need advice!! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-25-2007, 09:10 AM   #1
Members

Default New to backpacking and need advice!!

Hi! I am new to backpacking and have some basic questions that I hope someone can help me with. :D

First, I have 3-4 weeks in the middle of summer and want to go to Western Europe. I naturally want to see as much as possible. Is it reasonable to plan on concentrating in 3 countries, staying in a city for only 3-4 days, and see around 7 cities, or should I spend more time in just 2-3 cities?

Second, how do I know how far a hotel/hostel is from all the stuff I’m going to want to see? And if it is far how will I know if there is convenient and affordable transportation? How far is too far?

Also I am traveling with someone and want to stay in private rooms. In my research it seams like everything is $30-50 a person, making a room $60-100 total. Is this what I should expect? And if this is too much for my budget (we want to spend $50 a day each) is camping a good alternative? If you camp where do you put your pack during the day?

And if I plan on taking an overnight train using my Eurail pass do I need to book in advance so that I know I will get a bunk, or can I show up on the day?

I know I’m being a bit paranoid, and that spontaneity is part of the experience. I just don’t want to show up at my $70 a night hotel and find out that it is an expensive 30 min by taxi out of town.
reallivefarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
french touch

Hello and welcome among us !

To your first question, I'd say it is better to plan a full 2 to 3 days in the city and add the travel time between cities to that. Not have planned the travel time entering and leaving the city with your 2 days, that would only leave you in fact less than 24 hours in town. Also, keep the opportunity to change your mind and stay longer in a city you enjoy. If you aren't travelling during the peak season, you don't need to book everything in advance.

To your second question : got to the library and grab a travelbook such as Lonely Planet. You'll have a good idea of the distance and public transportation. However, I would doubt any hostel is at a 30-minute taxi drive from downtown. I stayed in very off-center hostels in Budapest and Bucharest, and it was within a bus distance of 20 minutes. And those hostels offer advantages such as being cheaper, and in a quieter environment (not inside the hostel though!). They had great ambiance and the service was wonderful !

I can't help you out with the next questions. Other tpunks will !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Members

thanks for the reply.. sorry that I posted in the urgent section everyone, ill repost somewhere else ....wont hapen again.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #4
Members

Default new to backpacking

Hi! I am new to backpacking and have some basic questions that I hope someone can help me with.

First, I have 3-4 weeks in the middle of summer and want to go to Western Europe. I naturally want to see as much as possible. Is it reasonable to plan on concentrating in 3 countries, staying in a city for only 3-4 days, and see around 7 cities, or should I spend more time in just 2-3 cities?

Second, how do I know how far a hotel/hostel is from all the stuff I’m going to want to see? And if it is far how will I know if there is convenient and affordable transportation? How far is too far?

Also I am traveling with someone and want to stay in private rooms. In my research it seams like everything is $30-50 a person, making a room $60-100 total. Is this what I should expect? And if this is too much for my budget (we want to spend $50 a day each) is camping a good alternative? If you camp where do you put your pack during the day?

And if I plan on taking an overnight train using my Eurail pass do I need to book in advance so that I know I will get a bunk, or can I show up on the day?

I know I’m being a bit paranoid, and that spontaneity is part of the experience. I just don’t want to show up at my $70 a night hotel and find out that it is an expensive 30 min by taxi out of town.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

What cities are you going to? Tpunks often have good hostel suggestions. I like to look at hostelz.com and hostelworld.com, though take all the reviews with a grain of salt since you don't know who wrote them!

Also, I haven't used Eurail but have been researching for my trip and it seems like some countries you can just show up and others you need a reservation. For instance, in Spain I think they require you to make a reservation.

Hope this helps!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
I naturally want to see as much as possible. Is it reasonable to plan on concentrating in 3 countries, staying in a city for only 3-4 days, and see around 7 cities, or should I spend more time in just 2-3 cities?
It's really up to you. I, myself, like to make a brief outline of what I'd like to see and then go with the flow. For example, you may get to Paris and have planned to spend 5 days there but by day two you've seen all that you wanted to and are bored (not saying that's the case but it could be). Usually it's best to give yourself 3-4 days in a city and if you like it you can stay longer - or leave sooner if that's the case.

Quote:
Most hostels in western Europe and within walking distance from public transit. The best advice I can offer is to borrow a Europe guidebook (or buy one) from the library and check hostel addresses in there. Use the hostel search on TravelPunk's main page and that will give you the street addresses for any hostel listed. If you're not sure about it's location or if it's on a transit line you can always call or email them and ask. As for 'how far is too far' I'd say whatever you think is too long of a walk. For myself, I'd say 6 or so blocks is too far. But it also depends on the neighborhood it's in and the cost of the room.

Quote:
For a private room with two people....that sounds about right. Honestly, dorm rooms aren't that bad and if your budgeting then it'll probably be a better choice. You may also want to look into cheap motels - sometimes it's cheaper there to get a small room (then you get your own bathroom and maybe a tv). As for camping - it really depends on if you want to put forth the extra effort. You'd be carrying a tent and other equipment with you and usually campsites are a decent way from the city. There's a few other posts on the camping in western Europe. Try searching it with our search feature.

Quote:
I can't really answer this one...but I'm sure someone else knows.

Quote:
Welcome to backpacking! Don't worry most of us get nervous - it's a normal part of traveling in this style. If you have any questions just ask! And some of your questions are probably already answered in other threads - so just use the search feature and that'll get you an answer a bit faster. WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!

-Amber (I wrote too much and don't feel like re-reading - please excuse any errors)

"If I had a kid I'd f**k it. Then kill it. Then f**k it again." Seattle 2006

blog of travels and such
flickr

Currently located in HAWAII

Been to: Alaska, Bahamas, Canada, Costa Rica, France, Germany, Hawaii, Spain, Switzerland - - also meetups in Chicago, LA, and Seattle
blinkchick2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Welcome to Travelpunk!! Amber just about covered everything I would say, so all I will add is......have a great trip!!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

Sounds like a great trip. Don't be too organized. Just have a general idea what you want to do. I think the purpose of backpacking is to be free to do things you would not be able to do if you stayed in a hotel. Just be street smart.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:39 PM   #9
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

If you are traveling with someone, and have never been across the pond,I recommend that you start in Britain or Ireland (to get acclimated) and then make your way to Spain where Hostals (which are not hostels--more like B&Bs) are about 40 Euro a night.

On Hostelworld you can look for Budget Hotel. Believe me when I say, it is nice to have your own room on occasion but believe me again when I say that hostels are a lot more fun!

I compare it to living on campus. Off campus housing is usually more affordable and you get a better deal for your money but on campus you meet more people, get invited to more parties (well, if you aren't a loser like me :-P) etc

--Joey
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #10
Members

Default Thanks!!

Thanks for all the awesome advice. We plan on starting in London because my travel partner has an Aunt and an Uncle that live there. Due to the huge difference in the British pound and the US $ we will only be staying there 4 days. Then after that we want to see France, mainly Paris, then Germany, concentrating on the south west and then probably Florence and Rome for a good chuck of the trip. I’m an art major and my partner is an architecture major, so Italy should be awesome. I’m really excited to go on my first trip, and am sure I will have several more questions.

Also has anyone ever herd of any tours or museums in the afore mentioned countries that are specific to architecture? And has anyone ever taken a cooking class while backpacking?