Will they let me on the plane with 5 oz of alcohol - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-03-2004, 07:07 PM   #1
Members

So, I'm leaving in a few days, and I have a bit too much alcohol to drink before then without dying. I thought I would bring a small (5 oz) bottle with me. I looked, and alcohol wasn't listed on the prohibited materials list for air travel, but I was just wondering if anyone out there had personal experience trying to board with a full flask. I would hate to have to pour it out! What a waste!

Thanks,
ElMystico
Old 05-03-2004, 07:11 PM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

I'd call the airport ahead of time and ask about this.

You're bound to get lots of groans from other stressed out travellers if you hold up the line b/c you're getting something taken away.
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:00 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

As far as I know, you can bring booze on the plane as long as it is sealed, meets customs regs at your destination, and you do not drink it on the plane. It is against the CANADIAN AVIATION SAFETY BOARD ACT ( and i am sure its American equvilent) to consume booze on a plane that is not purchased through the carrier.

So if your intent is to drink your own on the plane...just be careful, or you may get an earful from the flight attendent!

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 03:07 AM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Thats interesting that one, thanks CD...

Yeah, i bough 1.5litres of bourbon duty free last time i went to europe, and took it on the plane no problems. But that was for consuming over there, as we all know, bourbon is quite expensive over there, one place in germany wouldnt even sell me a bourbon, they sold me whiskey on the rocks and a bottle of coke. Exxxxxpensive!

Flying with emirates this time, and have heard that due to religious reasons do not serve alcohol on the plane, except for wine with meals. My plan was to bring my hipflask filled with tequila onboard to mix with some OJ or lemonade. Maybe i should play it safe and stay sober on the plane, or just have a few drinks at the airport and then try to get some sleep?

Eitherways, interesting points.

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 05:30 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

I don't know what type of liquor you want to bring, but if you really want to drink it on the plane, just mix it with something appropriate, like sprite or coke, and keep it in the Sprite/Coke bottle(s). Everyone brings various water bottles, sodas, etc on planes. Nobody will even notice. If you use a flask.....well that is a bit obvious, but even a sports bottle would work fine. Just my two cents.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:54 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Delaney Send a message via MSN to Delaney

In college when we didn't want people to know we had alcohol we just put it in colored nalgenes. That way regardless of the color of alcohol no one will question you... until they want a drink of your 'water'.

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You're on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who'll decide where to go. - Dr. Suess

Why I'm not on TPunk as much anymore: http://www.kaushallab.cbl.umces.edu/people.html#katie
Delaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 10:15 AM   #7
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

I think it's up to the airlines - I just make sure not to whip my bottle or flask out if I'm in plain view of a flight attendant.

I think legally, based on what country you're flying in, you can take on anything under 120 proof - anything stronger than that has to be in your checked baggage - you know, just so you don't set the cabin on fire.

But to be on the safe side, transferring is the way to go. I usually pour my bottle of Jack Daniels out into those small-ish plastic Diet Coke bottles. That way, I can carry it around at my destination if I want.

Not that I'm a drinker or anything...

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 09:15 PM   #8
TPunk Recognized

My last trip over to Europe, I brought over a fifth of Vodka sealed and had no problems. It was for a friend so I was not openly pouring it on the plane. On the way back I brought back an opened bottle of Absinthe, of all things, and had no problems. But once again, I was not openly drinking it on the plane. It would seem like you should not have a problem if you are just transporting it.
skidrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:25 AM   #9
Members

Given all the problems concerned with airplane flying nowadays its best to be aware that being drunk on a plane can get you arrested and locked up. On most scheduled flights they give away alcohol, spirits and beer. Low cost flights say take your own. Booze purchased in customs should legally stay unopened by hey the stewards are usually too busy to see if you are drinking. And anyway the bottom line is as long as your not pissed and causing a problem for the flight crew or other travellers then go right ahead.
Robb_2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:41 AM   #10
Members

I took a bottle of limoncello on the plane yesterday- no problem- it was all wrapped up in clothes though, so that may have helped.
CamiKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:48 AM   #11
Weasel Jones

drinking and flying aren't a good mix, it's just begging for dehydration.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:25 PM   #12
Members

Send a message via AIM to Mplsthreat Send a message via MSN to Mplsthreat Send a message via Yahoo to Mplsthreat

Quote:
Originally posted by skidrage@Jun 22 2004, 08:15 PM
On the way back I brought back an opened bottle of Absinthe, of all things, and had no problems.
I didn't think they allowed Absinthe into the US. Thought it was illegal here.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:33 PM   #13
Minister of Offense

Absinthe is illegal to sell here, but if my friends' souvenirs are any indication, you can bring back one bottle. Absinthe bar, here I come!

Old 06-29-2004, 10:13 PM   #14
TPunk Recognized

I think you just can't sell Absinthe here. Another reason that it was probably easy to get in is that a lot of people don't know what exactly it is, so they just figure it is just some foreign alcohol you are bringing back as a souvenir (which is what this vile stuff should be, and not for consumption ).
skidrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:38 PM   #15
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to TheWills

Yeah you dont wanna drink your own shit on the plane, the high altitude thins out your blood causing the booze to slam you way harder thats why the attdents have to sell it cause they have to reglate you, When I was in Germany I was flying in some rough weather so I was throwing the congac back and they wanted to cut me off but I argued one more bottle outta them, and if we would have went down I dont think I would have noticed
TheWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 10:41 AM   #16
Minister of Offense

That's why I travel international - free drinks!

I never get 1-stop flights that connect in the US - why get gipped half of the way to Europe of free drinks???

I've noticed Virgin's been more stingy/careful about serving passengers ever since the Courtney love in-flight arrest. She just had to ruin it for everyone!

[sips from hip flask]

Anyway, I'm pretty self contained...