Some stupid questions - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #1
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Default Some stupid questions

What does everyone do with their packs when they leave the hostel? Do you carry your passport with you at all times, or can you leave it in a safe at some of the hostels.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
Tpunk Senior Moderators

No question is a stupid question! Well... within reason!

A lot of hostels have a safe where you can leave your valuables. This is usually behind the front desk/reception, so you're onto a pretty safe bet there.

Also, lots of hostels have lockers in which you can put valuables (still, might put your really valuable stuff into the safe), and some have lockers big enough to put your whole pack into, which is really handy. Take along your own lock though, because generally speaking, a lock isn't provided. I found it easiest to take a combination lock, so I wouldn't have to worry about losing the keys!

If I was putting my passport etc into a locker or safe, I had no worries about leaving my pack next to my bed or something. Personal preference though, I guess!
Old 05-10-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

i always take my passport with me (sometimes you might need it during the day to prove identity, buy tickets etc) and leave my pack either in a locker (as lauren said, take you own lock) or if the locker isnt big enough, i would take everything from the outer pockets of my bag and put those in the locker, then lock the zipper on the main compartment of my bag. so take a big lock for lockers and a small one for your bag. this might all sound paranoid but i'm a cheapo and always stay in the biggest dorm rooms so you have to be careful when you're sharing with 10-20 people! if i was staying in smaller rooms i dont really worry as much as long as i have met everyone i'm staying with.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
call me Condi!

I keep my passport in my money belt. I just feel safer knowing it's on me. When I get used to people at the hostel, sometimes I leave my camera or other things in a safe when I go out dancing.

I keep my large pack (minus irreplace-ables) attached to my bunk in an awfully bizarre and weird cable + padlock arrangement, that makes my pack annoying, if not impossible, to try and steal. I have fun making it as complicated as I can.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

I just leave all my valuables in my pack and put a combination lock on the zipper. I very rarely take my passport anywhere with me, there's no point taking it if it's not needed. I think your passport and any valuables are much more likely to be stolen from you while you're out and about rather then if you leave them locked in your pack in the hostel...pick-pockets are sneaky little buggers.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #6
Tpunk Senior Moderators

I suggest that if you are going to keep your passport on you in a money belt, like i do, keep it in a ziplock. As well as your airline tickets, and anything else you may not want to get wet while on the road.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:42 AM   #7
**Wacktose Intolerant**

Location: Currently back in Canada... Saving and plotting my next adventure!
Send a message via AIM to Majestic58 Send a message via MSN to Majestic58 Send a message via Yahoo to Majestic58 Send a message via Skype™ to Majestic58

Ok, so here's another slightly related question... I read all these other posts about leaving your passport with train people, hostel people etc... but then all these OTHER posts about never letting your passport out of your sight, and scary men pulling up in cars pretending to be police but trying to steal your passport etc... Well, I guess I'm wondering, how do I know when I'm SUPPOSED to give my passport up when it's asked for, and when I'm supposed to say no... I mean, I don't want to get in trouble if I'm supposed to hand it over, but I certainly don't want to lose it/have it stolen either...

Majestic58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:34 AM   #8
call me Condi!

I would always say that my passport is at my hostel, honestly, unless you're at an airport or at a border crossing. I have never pulled it out otherwise. Oh wait, I lied, I had to use it to get into the Temple Mount on a non-tourist day. But again, that's fairly "official" despite how it seemed at the time. If someone random (even uniformed) walks up and demands your passport, lie, lie, lie..."it's at my hostel." I actually think that's why I dragged my passport around with me - I've only recently been in a high-security state, and then the other major time I traveled, I did a lot of train hopping, so it stayed in at night, but was mostly with me for ticket purchasing and then border crossing. You'll know from guidebooks whether or not you're going to be asked for it sight-seeing.
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #9
T-PUNK SPECIAL FORCES

Graciaz for all the replys, my pack is top and panel loading, so I have to get creative to lock it up. All but one of the places I am staying has lockers so I should be good with just locking everything up.

Old 05-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #10
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman View Post
Graciaz for all the replys, my pack is top and panel loading, so I have to get creative to lock it up. All but one of the places I am staying has lockers so I should be good with just locking everything up.

Ya know, they do make a metal fish net type security device that you just put your pack in and lock the top of the mesh bag. That keeps anyone from cutting into your pack with a knife or getting into it in general. Then you can just use a small retractable bike chain to lock it to the bed frame. When in doubt or worried about your stuff, its wonderful to have the supplies to take the worries away.