Had Enough - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #1
Members

Ive had enough! im 17 my life is dull and uneventful, im going to make my first jorney on my own, i want to see new sights meet new people. i have no idea how i should go about doing this, being 17 means im poor aswell, i have hardly anything, i will hopefully busk my way around, i want to do europe, ireland, france, netherlands, spain, whereever!

i have no tie downs i start college in sept and i need to get something done before then, i feel im wasting my life!
how much would i need, what gear would i need? clothes? food?

everythings new to me, but i know im going to do it.
Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Welcome

wish i started @ your age instead of ten years later....plenty of info on this site and these boards to help ya though

as far as what you need, it all depends on where you want to go. south american and south east asia are cheaper day to day then western europe, but then south america may be cheaper to get to then se asia(if you are in the states) so first things first...narrow your destination down.

good luck w/your planning
Old 04-17-2005, 01:55 PM   #3
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

first off

WELCOME TO TRAVELPUNK

ok, do you want to camp, or go back packing and staying in hostles and whatnot?

how much do you want to spend on a day to day basis?

can i refeer you to this

there will be plenty more people coming along with advice

and welcome again

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 02:29 PM   #4
Members

Hi, I want to stay at hostels mainly, how much would be bare minimum id need
Old 04-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
TPunk Recognized

well, w/the areas you mentioned if you plan well you can find hostels for about $20 usd a night...this still may be a little low....add in food $5-10 a day, travel fees(depends) and alil xtra for entertainment and you would be at a minimum of $35-40 a day + travel $...that would be very tight, but i am sure it has been done. between airfare and rail pass and everything my 3 week wesern europe trip is budgeted out to about $2800 right now yuo could do it for less, say $2200 maybe $2000, but it would very very tight, and you would need some luck w/timing

not sure if that helps at all
Old 04-17-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

you wouldnt get your rounds in on 35-40 a night though, that is just eating and sleep, then you need a bit extra on the side in case....

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 03:04 PM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to Tadpole

Welcome to the boards !

Here is one of my posts from antoher thread that can help answer your questions.

[/quote] WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!

Im doing the same thing. I'm going to Europe this summer after I graduate from high school. A great decision for you to go backpacking.

There is loads and loads of information to learn about your trip. This website has it all. I will go over the basics to help get you started but there is alot more to read about. So cruise the website and read as much as you can and don't be afraid to post ANY question at all.

If you are tight on money then the next paragraph is important, if money isn't an issue then skip the next paragraph. And all money refrences are in US dollars.

TRAVEL BUDGET
First you need to decide a budget for the entire trip, 1k, 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k etc. By starting with a budget you will be able to figure out what you will be able to do and where you will be able to go within that budget.

GETTING OVER THERE
I dont know where you are flying from but flying from the US to europe round trip is about $1000 avg. (+ or - 200) in the peak season of summer. As time draws near the prices will rise and the seats will fill up. Get your tickets as soon as possible!

SLEEPING
If you plan on staying in Hostels, they will run from $8 to $40 a night (avg. is $20). If you plan on camping the costs will be around $5 a night. Travelpunk has an awesome hostel search engine to find and book hostels.

TRANSPORTATION
Once over there, there are many ways to travel. Car, Bus, Train, or Plane. Trains are the most common for travelers and just about everyone will suggest taking the train for transportation. For trains you can get passes rangeing from around $150 to $1000 depending on the pass (avg. $350). In europe the Eurail train system is what everyone uses. Click Here for the Eurail website.
To get a good estimate you will have to look for your specific pass.

DAILY BUDGET
This is very important. This will decide how many days you can travel and where you can go. $75 a day is a tight budget for a day. I am doing a $50 a day budget and I am worried. Your daily budget should include eating, sleeping, clubbing, and spare cash for tourists sites and stuff like that. Once you figure out how much you can spend then you can figure out how long you can stay and where you can go.

PLACES TO SEE
Don't rush. Take your time in places you go. On average plan to spend about 3-4 days (maybe more) in big cities. Plan to spend 1-2 days in smaller places. How long you spend in a city or counrty is completly up to you. But don't rush yourself, you dont want to feel like the clock is ticking every second of the day. Some people pick the cities they want to see and make a list. I picked the countries that wanted to see and picked the cities from those countries. I plan to spend 10 days per country and see about 3-4 cities in each country. But my plan is very felxible. I may stay in a town for 1 day when I planned on 4 days. Other travelers have a stict intinarary they will go by. I plan to go with the flow.

Those are some of the basics. There is alot more to learn about each of those topics but that will help get you started.

Here is how my final cost added up.

$650 - Eurail pass for a month(I chose an expensive one)
$950 - Plane to Germany from USA and back from Spain.
$1500 - Daily budget total. (30 days x $50 a day = $1500)
--------
$3100 - Total

There is a very brief summary of the basics. Research is the key. Post more details about your trip when get more them and everyone will be glad to help out. And again...

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!! thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

[/quote]
Old 04-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #8
Members

thanks for all the advice, i think i will pospone my trip until summer 06 so i save enough money and maybe hook up with some people from here, then ill be 18 so things should be easier aswell

tahnks
Old 04-17-2005, 05:38 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

thats not a bad idea murphy....the more $ the better time you will have, plus you get the fun of planning the whole thing!
Old 04-21-2005, 03:35 PM   #10
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Plus maybe being 18+ might open a few doors to some night places you wouldn't be able to get into otherwise. Just a thought.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
Members

Send a message via AIM to rjt98 Send a message via Yahoo to rjt98

My first trip i was around 17, I didnt know anything about backpacking, I just took my regular school back pack with 2 days worth of clothes. I bought a plane ticket to London from LAX for about 420$ and bought a 3 country 6 day Eurail pass for 280$. Then I went to London, Paris, Nice, Rome, Venice, and Naples. in about 15 days. Then took the train/ bus/ ferry back to London and flew home.

Plane ticket 420
Eurail pass 280
60$ a day for 15 days $900

Total, $1700

If i remember correctly I think i actually spent around 2100 with souveniers and other various things.
rjt98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:08 PM   #12
Members

Sigh, if I could be 17 all over again. I would have backpacked every summer since. I feel like Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite.
travelguy is offline   Reply With Quote