packer virgin scared sh*#less - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-30-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
Members

Hey guys,

Im going to italy shortly and i am soooooooo freaked that im gona be lonely. im going for 3-4 months (one way ticket so i dont no when im comin home) and im going all on my own. i am a really loud, could talk underwater sort of gall and i cant bare the thought of being alone for that long and i suppose the other thing im bummed about is that i will have no one to share all the cool monuments and stuff with i mean it wont be as great if im on my own right. i dont no if this is last minute gitters but im freaked i never thought about it. and now its keeping me up at night.

Will i find anyone at hostels that will wana travel with me, my mum traveled alot when she was young and she told me that she would travel alone everywhere but end up going to a hostel and finding loads of people that would wana go places with her (share the expences kinda thing) is that true . she said in hostels theres like message boards were people stick things up like .......... going to vatican 4 seets available 20 bucks for petrol you wana come be out front at 10:30....... is that true coz then atleast id have someone to talk to in the car

I have never traveled before let alone sckipping from hostel to hostel in a foreign contry alone. Will i meet people or does anyone no of places were lonely travelers find travel buddies in italy

thanks for your help guys im soooooooooooooooooooo freaked right now

I new i should have asked my mummy to come with me
Old 05-01-2004, 10:22 AM   #2
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

Hey, I can totally relate to your post! I am going to France/Spain/Portugal in a couple weeks for 2 months completely by myself. I think we all worry about stuff like this, especially for the first time...I'm a first timer too. Everyone has told me what you've heard-that's it's easy to meet people in hostels. Another idea that I'm going to try at least at first is a concept on www.globalfreeloaders.com. People all over the world who love to travel and meet different people sign up and then you write to them through the website and request accomodation for a night, a week, etc. Already I have lined up accomodation in Paris for the first couple nights I'm there. I hope if it works out I will contact people in Spain as well. Besides saving tons of money, I think it would be awesome to spend some time with/get to know locals! Most of them want to show you around and get to know you too. If anything, a night or two with them will make you feel more at home in the city and you'll feel better! And it seems odd, but I figure I'd be more worried about letting people stay with me just in terms of stealing stuff. I'm a female though, and will only stay with other females or couples, just to play it safe. Good luck!!!!!!!!!

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 11:59 AM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to clevercraig

Cant Wait: First timer here too. Belgium, Holland, Germany, and Czech all alone. I am both a little scared and nervous as well. But that's all a part of the adventure and excitement of it. Embrace the nerves. As odd as that might sound it really is not such a bad feeling. You'll be fine.

England. Belgium. Germany. Czech Republic. Slovakia. Poland. Holland. Summer '04

Skagway, Alaska Summer '05

Skagway, Alaska Summer '06

Peru, Fall '06
clevercraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

I'm a first timer as well. Going to Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland. I have a week till I leave...I think I'm more calm now that my trip is 7 days away. Thats kind of weird...I figured I'd be freaking out, talking about it helps!

Just finished ALL my shopping for my trip today and for some reason that helped alot with the nerves. Now I just sit back and chill till its time to leave! Boo Ya!

And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 03:21 PM   #5
Members

THANKS ALOT GUYS!

i was seriously freaking out about being alone but now i guess thats what makes it so great. i mean im not being draged around by anyone im free to go were ever i want. and im sure ill find some1 at a hostel to chat to.

I think it was just really bad nerves kicking in thanks talk to ya soon.
Old 05-02-2004, 04:44 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Its really no worries. You rock up to your dorm room. Ask your dorm mate where theyre from, introduce yourself and start talking...you may be goin to see the same sight so youll go out together or maybe just for a drink that night.
I got off the bus from london to brugge, saw a dude with a backpack and more or less said you know where your going? response: no my response: me neither, well lets go figure this place out! That night we got hammered with some other dude from our dorm we met late in the arvo.
Another time I saw a girl packin and asked where she was going - same place as me, best buddies in an hr bus ride.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:23 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Oh my friend, you will be alone only if you wanna be alone. There will be to meet at Hostels, Pubs, Bars, Clubs, Resturants, at sights or just walking down the street.

How alone you want to be ends up being your choice, sometimes I just wanted some "me" time, and other times I wanted to hook up with poeple, I created the situations myself...its nice to have that power

Always check the hostel post board for people who are looking to share a ride, are that are making their way to another country. There is aso info on jobs and events on the post boards aswell.

As for freaking out about your trip...We all get that, you are not the first and will not be the last, you said your Mum was a trav'la, and she had it too...I get it even when I start to plan for a trip...its all part of the euphoria of being a trav'la!

Kick back, soak in all the info you can and hope for the best....Just rember this....

"Unexpected experiences always make for the best stories"

And I am not sure if I gave you a big travelpunk welcome??? so her ya go...

to da family!!!

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:52 PM   #8
Weasel Jones

"embrace the nerves"

haha - i like that craig!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:07 PM   #9
Members

Can't wait....Been travelin' since my Navy days, and one thing for sure, you will never be alone when you travel. Folk of the same spirit will always find you, you just have to be open to them. I've gone a lot of places, and have been alone when I've wanted to be alone, but hey, people want to meet, they want to have a good time. Just be yourself, be kind and accepting and frienfdly, and you'll meet so many people that your memoirs will span chapters. Have a great time in Italy, and remember, "The day you stop living life, is the day you start dying" so live!
I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry-rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them. I shall use my time. CREDO - Jack London
wanderingwaterman is offline   Reply With Quote