How do I not be a tourist while being a tourist? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-17-2004, 01:51 AM   #1
Members

Firstly, hello all! I've enjoyed reading your ramblings over the past few days...looks like a nice little community here.

Secondly, I don't know if this is the right forum section for this question, but...in all honesty, I don't care that much.

Soooo...I've been thinking about my Europe trip, which is set to commence in a couple of weeks, and I've decided that it would be far better to be like a local than like a tourist. By that, I mean...though I do want to see "the" sites, I'm thinking that it would be far cooler to get some sort of feel of how people in the various countries live their lives.

Any suggestions for me?

Daniel
danieldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 11:12 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Great attitude, Daniel, that alone will help you blend and fit in.

Of course you'll see the touristy things, but the locals do that too. Generally, to see how the locals live, go to where the locals hang out - parks, beaches etc are perfect for hanging out on sunny afternoons. Sports events and concerts in the evenings. Most of the cultural stuff (opera, ballet, plays etc) happens in the winter season, but there are always concerts, often outdoor, to check out. And pubs and clubs, of course. Pick up a local listings when you get to where you want to be.

Also, take the public transit, especially buses. That's where you'll meet students who want to practice their English, and help old ladies with their shopping bags. You'll learn more about the day-to-day life of a place at the village market than at the museum, and find better, cheaper food there, too. And maybe the best souvenir of your trip. We had a great time visiting one of the palace complexes in Seoul, but the pigs heads in the market place made a better picture!

Finally, if you have a particular interest when you're not travelling (art, music, chess, Scrabble, sport, trains, archaeology, bowling, whatever...) check the local directory to see if there are any clubs or classes offered while you're there, and you'll meet locals who share your passion, and make instant friends, who will give you more of a local experience than all these other tips combined.

Let us know where you're going, I'm sure you'll get lots of specific ideas from people who've been that way before.

Have a blast!
tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 03:01 AM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

danieldale to the family!!!Because you will have the accent you will find it difficult to portrait a local, but there are a couple things you can do do fit in a little more...

- Avoid tourist areas
-Shop at Supermarkets
-Always look like you know where your going
-Do not carry travelbooks in your hand
-Avoid keeping your camera around you neck or on your belt
-(like tumblezweedz said) Get to know the public transit
-(like tumblezweedz said) Hang where the locals hang, Find the part of the city that tourists have no interest in, suburbs kinda i guess, or college campuses

Not looking like a tourist is hard sometomes, especially when you are one, but the better you fit in the more comfortable you might feel.

So just a few ideas...

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2004, 05:38 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to tecia
not too sure this being my firs trip but... talk - talk - talk to all the locals they can tell you the best places to go!!!! I know i do that with people here and that is what i'm going to do there>
Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!!
And WELCOME to the boards!!!!!!

T & A rule!!!

tecia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:12 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

hey daniel, welcome to the family. A few things I've learned so far

1) There's no way to not look like a tourist to a local, you can only try to not ACT like one, which is where the importance is.
2) Don't go to a restaurant where the menu has any english on it. It's more fun to guess at what something is anyway, and if the menu's not in english, chances are that's where the locals hang.
3) Ask your hostel attendant person where the locals hang out and explain that you really want to get a feel for the culture of the place you're in
4) Don't worry about being a tourist. If you show genuine interest in the culture and history of a place, the locals will be proud to show you there treasures. Don't ask someone how to get to the Eiffel Tower, ask them where they go if they want to submerse themselves in their own culture.
5) Have fun, don't sweat the small stuff. THat's the great thing about Europe, it's culture tends to find you whether you want it to or not...just think, the old Italian woman cursing at you in an unknown dialect will make a great story at home, not ruin a day.

Good luck

Jason

The beauty of this world will last
Much longer than its men
No need for man to test this fact
Enjoy the view instead----Me(Part of a longer poem)
ChasinJason1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 01:53 PM   #6
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

Quote:
Originally posted by jw1313@May 20 2004, 08:12 AM
5)* Have fun, don't sweat the small stuff.* THat's the great thing about Europe, it's culture tends to find you whether you want it to or not...just think, the old Italian woman cursing at you in an unknown dialect will make a great story at home, not ruin a day.
what happened on your trip?

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote