Worried parents, how to deal with em - Page 3 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-29-2007, 03:09 PM   #41
TPunk Recognized

good call, jake. ive been a mormon all my life, and actually had been going to BYU out here but im kinda "falling away" as they call it. i gues you could call me an agnostic with mormon sympathies. its kind of annoying living in mormon central but at least the people i live with dont make a big deal out of anything. we all just liveour own lives. i do try to avoid talking to my parents on the phone though, cause they equate anything god or bad in my life with how closely im following God's commandments.

on a sidenote, i should edit the places im going, cause my little brother is currently a missionary in paraguay and i totally plan to go down there when hes done and hang out and then fly back with him.
In various stages of planning: Whistler, BC; Caribbean; NZ/OZ; R-T-W for a year!
zmsmith5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:24 PM   #42
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Yeah. I dropped the bomb on my folk's about six months back.
"yeah I am not really a christian anymore...just thought ya'll should know"

They keep dragging me to church with them as long as I am in their house and are pretty deadset that I will "come back around"

It's not going to happen.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #43
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJake View Post
^dude I was banking on you saying that. Christian or Mormon?

Anyway yeah my folks are the same way. They are more worried about my drinking habits then anything else.
Habit? I call it lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJake View Post
Yeah. I dropped the bomb on my folk's about six months back.
"yeah I am not really a christian anymore...just thought ya'll should know"

They keep dragging me to church with them as long as I am in their house and are pretty deadset that I will "come back around"

It's not going to happen.
Yeah I quit going to church when I was 15 and my mom cried for many days. 19 years later, and I still haven't changed. Christian? I call it a corportate money making machine, with a bit of brainwashing on the side. I live a proper life and treat people the way I would want to be treated. And I always try to go out of my way to help people. Anytime!
Old 07-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #44
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to BigE Send a message via Yahoo to BigE

I wonder what my parents are worried about? If you guys only knew what I do for a living you would freak out. I'm an agnostic in contradiction. Anyway, I'm trying to decide what I want to do. I'm thinking about getting a PhD in Philosophy in Disability Studies with a focus on Deaf Culture.

This will require me leaving my "state of life" and it will not make a lot of people happy.

"An oppressive government is more to be feared than a tiger, or a beer."
-Confucius

Somewhere in England (maybe) - Spring (TBA)
Israel - Summer (TBA)

Last edited by BigE; 07-29-2007 at 04:24 PM.
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:01 PM   #45
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc873 View Post
Yeah I quit going to church when I was 15 and my mom cried for many days. 19 years later, and I still haven't changed. Christian? I call it a corportate money making machine, with a bit of brainwashing on the side. I live a proper life and treat people the way I would want to be treated. And I always try to go out of my way to help people. Anytime!
I think you can never go to church and be a theistic Christian. I ended up settling on Christian flavored Deism for my religion tag. I think have been to church twice in my life (not counting Stave churches or cathedrals throughout Europe)

Unfortunately, there is a sizeable group of Christians that would disagree, which is why I seldom refer to myself as such.

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #46
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Christian flavored deist... I like it. I would add this part though for me

Tao inspired Christian flavored deist

I think that's how I would describe my current "religion" or at least my theological views.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:34 PM   #47
call me Condi!

Yeah, but I've heard Christian-flavoring is more sugary than 100% natural flavoring. For instance, Christian-flavored Bubble Yum tastes nothing like biting into an actual Christian....

Sorry.

I think I'm more spiritual/into orthopraxy than my parents, but I have a feeling I would FREAK OUT and be a goth or something crazy if my parents tried to lay down some religious law on me. (Like if they tried freaking out on me for my conservative, but oh-so-cute Muslim partner, or razzing me for traveling/studying Islam...I'm an Italian Roman Catholic, and I still identify culturally, btw, but it's easy because we eat, drink and feel guilty, then eat more and drink more to cover up that guilt!! Mangia!! Perfect for traveling! )
"I set out alone, finding no companion to cheer the way with friendly intercourse, and no party of travellers with whom to associate myself. Swayed by an overmastering impulse within me, and a long-cherished desire to visit those glorious sanctuaries, I resolved to quit all my friends and tear myself away from my home."
---Ibn Battuta, CE 1325

Latest travel crushes - Arizona, Morocco, The Baltic States, Tunisia, Portugal, Mexico
DC_Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #48
**Wacktose Intolerant**

Location: Currently back in Canada... Saving and plotting my next adventure!
Send a message via AIM to Majestic58 Send a message via MSN to Majestic58 Send a message via Yahoo to Majestic58 Send a message via Skype™ to Majestic58

At this point, my theological views are such a mixture of so many different religions and my own ideas that I have just created my own religion and called it Sarahism... it's just easier this way.

Majestic58 is offline   Reply With Quote