30 Overrated Destinations - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #21

I plan on soaking up local culture in the nooks and crannies, not the metropolis that is modern Dublin.

Places visited: 38 states in North America including Hawaii. Mexico, Guam, Ireland, Wales, England, Germany,Poland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, China, Hong Kong, Macau and...
DharmaBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #22
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRHewitt View Post
Honestly if I had the money to travel to all of these destinations, you wouldn't hear me bitch once. Unless its to Venice, that place sucks, end of story.
I have to agree. I HATED Venice. Couldn't leave soon enough.
BedtimeontheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:46 PM   #23

whats wrong with venice?

Places visited: 38 states in North America including Hawaii. Mexico, Guam, Ireland, Wales, England, Germany,Poland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, China, Hong Kong, Macau and...
Old 12-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #24
TPunk Moderator

venice...forget it...its been taken over by tourists long ago...i havent even been there and i can already tell you its overrated

my #1 overrated city is Prague. Save your money and go to Krakow instead, still tourists in Krakow, but Prague has basically turned into Czech Disney
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #25

That effing sucks! I have always wanted to go to prague. But wont it be low season when I am there in late Jan?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #26
TPunk Moderator

noooo if you have always wanted to go to prague then you must go...or else there will be this nagging "what if" feeling

i also visited prague in low season...it makes no diff

but again, if its been like your dream to visit prague then you've got to go, but if it doesn't make a difference to you either way, IMO you're not missing much

the problem with prague is that it seems like all the sights are concentrated in one area, so there is a higher concentration of tourists surrounding you...whereas in budapest, yes lots of tourists visit, but all the sights are spread out so you dont notice it as badly
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #27
french touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DharmaBum View Post
That effing sucks! I have always wanted to go to prague. But wont it be low season when I am there in late Jan?
Maybe have a plan B in case you too are disappointed with Prague.

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #28
Certified Wise

Prague is still worth visiting. It's still a cool city.

I wasn't that into it but I had an awesome time partying there.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #29
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

I went to Prague once in november and once in July and i loved it both times. I also really love venice, although I've never been in the summer.
I don't know, maybe cause I already live in a pretty touristy city, I'm used to it? I've never really seen other tourists as much of a problem, unless you actually want to do the stuff that everyone else lines up for...
the only place I've ever really been overwhelmed at how disgustingly touristy a place is, was at Niagara Falls... the falls are great but the town is just plain weird.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:20 AM   #30
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliz View Post
I've never really seen other tourists as much of a problem, unless you actually want to do the stuff that everyone else lines up for...

the only place I've ever really been overwhelmed at how disgustingly touristy a place is, was at Niagara Falls... the falls are great but the town is just plain weird.
Touche, on both points. I mean, having a huge gaggle of obnoxious people can be annoying (I'm thinking of the people I had to travel with to Greece mostly) but that shouldn't mean that where ever you are should be devalued. That's like not liking a band that you used to like/would have liked simply because everyone else likes it. I mean, some of the most beautiful places Iwent to were pretty much ONLY filled with tourists (Ephesus, Delphi, Mycenae). Then again, that might be bacause they were historica sites that could easily be day trips from athens. but anyway.

yes. niagara falls (the cvity) is fucking weird).

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #31

Im still gonna go to Prague but I wont have any expectations of fantasticness. Im usually very positive regardless of the situation and sure my trip as a whole will be amazing regardless of a few overcrowded tourist spots.
Good posts though, thanks for the input.
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Old 12-13-2008, 06:08 PM   #32
TPunk Emeritus

Re Wales - they were living in London, and had no money and little kids and people offered them a free place to stay - and they had the gall to whine about it? Sorry, that's just rude.

And I know a little something about the stresses of staying in new, un-kid-proofed places with little ones...

Frankfurt and Amsterdam top my over-rated list.

Each to his own.

tumblezweedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 02:52 AM   #33
TPunk Emeritus

There actually are a lot of Germans (or perhaps Austrians) that seem to be milling around the Capital here in Sacramento. Its a convenient day trip from San Francisco if tourists have an appreciation for the history of the state.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:39 AM   #34
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe7f View Post
Plus the best gelato of my life was there! Gelateria di Santa Maria Maggiore next to the monument/cathedral if anyone is interested...
--Joey
Hell yeah!!! Thats the best gelato EVER!! I thought Rome was amazing. And Venice was great, loved every minute I spent there!!

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #35
Dig
TPunk Moderator

I only rely on close sources for the rating of a place. I'm sure that if everyone says it is horrible I will take heed, but I like to find out myself. Also I think that people that report on this kind of thing may be left out of the loop in a certain town. The second report is about Austin being a let down. It can be. But it has the potential of really rockin if you let it and if you find a nice circle to run in.

To me Berlin was over-rated. Not a bad city, it just seemed like a smaller version of Houston or something.

I have found that most cities I go to are under-rated. I had no idea that Amsterdam was so romantic and beautiful.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:28 AM   #36
Members

Default overrated

I read the article and Its obivious the kind of people that would complain about stuff like that . Yuppies they just suck at life thats all . I mean listen to how anal they are they get so worked up about a unique experience because their cookie cutter minds cant grasp it . Or they just make poor choices about where to go in these specific places. Question tho anyone been to bora bora? Someone was very butt hurt about that place.
NoDirectionHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #37
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

This list was annoying. It seems like it was written by people who have never left the safety of their little enclave of life.

Bali is humid with bugs? Vegas is full of people and gambling? Hollywood is full of tourists? No way... who the hell thought???

I'm gonna start pushing these people to visit Detroit so they can complain about how 3rd world it is.

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:39 AM   #38
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish99 View Post
And Venice was great, loved every minute I spent there!!
Me, too, mish! I honestly think it is the most beautiful city in the world. I think those who just visit as a daytrip set themselves up to dislike it. After the cruise ship visitors are gone, when the daytrippers have left the city, that is when you can really experience Venice. The quiet, with no automobile traffic, only the swish of the waves and the echo of footsteps from around some corner, or of voices on the other side of one of the romantic little bridges...that is Venice.

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #39
Drifter in the making.

Haha I literally opened the thread to bash Venice.... not a fan... at all...

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote