Starting to Get Serious With Travel Plans - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-01-2003, 11:57 PM   #21
Members

three words first: OH. MY. GAWD.

I think you are the envy of the entire TP board right now, Cliffo! Wow, if you head out to L.A. you know we have to make up for that missed connection while I was in Oz!

Until I found youuuuu

I was beat. Incomplete
I'd been had, I was sad and blue
But you made me feel
Yeah, you maaaade me feel
Shiny and neeeeew
katdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 12:46 AM   #22
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via ICQ to cliffo Send a message via Yahoo to cliffo

Kat, you know you're on my 'to do' list..oh wait...hang on, that didn't come out the way i meant it...oops...I meant catch up for a :D

Don't really have a clue when i'm gonna get to the US, was thinking around June or July, maybe. All depends on the money factor and with the Aussie dollar on the up things are looking even better.

I wanna go now damnit!!!!!
cliffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:58 AM   #23
TPunk Emeritus

Ugh, how embarrassing!

I DID get Death Valley confused with the Badlands! Show's how much U.S. Travel I've been doing, lately...

Thanks for the correction, Wong!
(see CD, I'm not a "Travel God" after all...!)
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 02:39 PM   #24
TPunk Recognized

Just reading this thread, and wanted to know that if us aussies dont need a schengen visa, and can just use our passports, does the 3month limit still apply. Im just thinking that if im travelling europe, both east and west as well as scandinavia, i would have liked to think that i could take my time, and use maybe 4-5mths up. Maybe this is not the case, and maybe i will have to cut some places off my itinery...

Arrrrrgh !

Leeroy.

:greenguy:

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 04:12 PM   #25
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by cliffo@Nov 28 2003, 01:33 AM
Ok Guys, starting to get into doing some proper planning for my trip next Feb. I'll be cashed up as of the 23rd December and am raring to go.

At this point here are my general plans:

1. Fly out of Sydney into Lisbon (not direct unfortunately but hey its the end result that counts) around the end of Feb
2. Travel around Portugal before heading to Spain, maybe a quick trip over to Morrocco
3. On to Southern France, through Monaco into Italy
4. Head over to Greece from Italy(Plane, Ferry - any ideas?)

Now, this is where I'm at a loss. Where to from Greece? Being an Aussie I can spend 3 months in most Western European coutnries as per the Schengen Visa agreement so I want to maximise my time in these countries over the first 3 months. Should I fly back into France (Paris??) then head into Belgium, Amsterdam, Germany and then Austria?

After this I plan to go to Czech Republic (need a Visa), Poland (again need a Visa),* Lithuania or Estonia to get a Russian Visa, then onto Russia. Then I'll head to London, onto Ireland and Scotland before eventually taking off to the US, Canada, maybe Mexico, then see what the cash situation is like before heading to Japan and heading down through East Asia on my way home. Yes its going to be a mamoth journey but will be a blast!!!

With the Schengen Visa, does anyone know for sure how long you have to leave a Schengen country before being allowed to re-enter for another 3 months? I think it works on a 3 month in, 3 months out situation but am not 100% on that.

Most of you have probably given up reading this long-ass post by now* :D* but any suggestions or comments on my plans will be greatly appreciated. Bear in mind time is my friend, money won't be that much of a problem (I'm allowing AUS$40,000 at the most for the entire trip but would prefer to do it on much less and am sure I can). Oh, I plan on buying a 3 month consecutive Eurail pass before I get to Europe to take care of most of the transport issues.

Thanks in advance guys and girls - Tpunkers rule!!! *
If you are considering taking a ferry to Greece from Italy make sure you take it from either Bridishi or Bari. Do not, I repeat DO NOT take it from Ancona unless you have the money for private room (105 Euros) or a shared room (37 Euros). The ferry from Ancona makes the people with deck tickets (the cheapest ticket you can get) sleep on the deck of the ship which is extremely cold and windy at night (I almost died of hyperthermia). However, the ferries from Bridish and Bari have a special heated room with movies where you can stay there during the entire trip

Also, another warning about Greece especially if you are not white. Make sure you carry your passport with you at all times because while I was over there (Jan 23,24,25) I was stopped at least a couple of times by the police and asked to show my passport(American). After I did so, they wrote my passport information on some sort of sheet they had. Moreover, I only saw them doing this to Blacks, Asians and people who looked Arab or Middle Eastern.
nyblackpapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 06:38 PM   #26
TPunk Recognized

Cliffo...

have you found anymore info on the schengen thing.

I wanna know how they can prove that you have spent more time than three months in their schengen area. How do they know that you say, out of your four months travel, that you have spend 30days in switzerland/chzech countries (non - schengen) Will i get a stamp upon entering/leaving switzerland/chzech republic to use as some proof that i at least spent some time away from the schengen countries...

Thanks in advance mate

Leeroy

Old 01-30-2004, 07:30 PM   #27
TPunk Recognized

cliffo,
when you go to canada, you must go out west!
we in BC love you ozzies, well at least i do!
there's lot to do out here, and quite beautiful.
and bring me some cherryripe chocolate bars!
Fedfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 07:50 PM   #28
TPunk Recognized

Leeroy, as far as i know we, as Aussies, can stay in the Schengen countries for 3 months from the date we arrive in a Schengen area. After that three months you have to leave all Schengen countries for a three month period before being allowed back in for another 3 months, etc...

Have read some things though that said its 3 months cumulative (sp?) - so you add up all the days you spend in Schengen areas and once you reach a total of 3 months you have to leave. Somehow I don't see that this is correct though - too hard to police from where I stand.

I'd stick with having 3 months from your first date of entry into a Schengen country. For me, I land in Athens on Feb 28 and am doing all the Schengen countires in my first 3 months which means i'll have to leave the area by May 28. My plans after that are a bit sketchy but if i'm gonna hang around Europe, I'll look at going to some Eastern Europeans countries (Visas are a pain for us in some places though), UK, Ireland and if I want to go back into Schengen countires wait the three months and then have a new 3 months period...hope that makes sense, i tend to talk crap a lot of the time

nyblackpapi, thanks a heap for the ferry info. that info is gold for me...much appreciated.

Fedfe, glad to know i'll be amongst friends when (if) i make it to Canada, hpoefully i'll still get there. Oh......cherry ripes...MMMMmmmmmmmmm
Old 02-01-2004, 01:59 AM   #29
TPunk Recognized

Cheers Cliffo... The ultimate answer to my problem is going to be breaking my trip into two halves, instead of rushing to see everything in the three months. Ill see half of europe first, then go chill in the uk for 6mths, then go do the other half the following year.

Im not sure how im going to work out oktoberfest. i wonder if on my first round through europe, i use only 80 days up, the go back to uk for a month, then fly into munich for a few days. That way im sure my passport with its british stamping will prove that ive not exceeded the three months in a 6mth period.

Thanks again cliffo
Leeroy.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:27 AM   #30
TPunk Recognized

Your plan sounds good but i'd check and double check that you can stay for like 80 days and then head back for the remaining ten...wouldn't want to think thats how it works only to be turned back at the border or something.