Contiki - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 02-23-2004, 07:39 AM   #1
Members

Has anyone been on a Contiki tour/ heard anything about them. I'm wondering if they're good for a week or so and then travel by myself after for a few weeks as a first time traveller on my own in Europe. Any thoughts?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 08:00 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Hey faith, I did the Contiki back in 2001, I had a amazing time, I met great people, and the trip was full of excitment, drama, romance, comedy...everyting that a good movie has basically...The one I did was 21 days and I think I paid 1500.00 at the time. Its a great way to meet people, but for sure I would encourge you to do some solo travel as well for sure...Its a great "first trip" plan for Europe, especially to familarize your self with customs, locations and ya never know, you may find a city you like and jump off from the tour!

If you need more in depth info, let me know!

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 05:29 PM   #3
Members

I did a 10 day tour with Contiki in 2000. It was a lot of fun. We did 7 countries in 10 days. I got to see a lot of places but I felt like I was constantly on the go and always on the bus. I've done another bus tour which did 2 countries in 10 days. That was much more my pace.
Travel_girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

I've thought about doing a contiki tour. They sound lots of fun and there are lots of great reasons to go on one. But for my first time in Europe I'd rather do it on my own. I think I'm going to look into doing one next time I go over seas....

faith: I'm in the same boat as you, first time traveller on my own in Europe

And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 01:12 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Hey there faith! I have booked a contiki tour of Scandinavia for 3 weeks. I am also going on my first trip alone. I chose to do this for a few reasons -
- Scandinavia is a very expensive area to travel and doing it with Contiki seemed a competitive price.
- It was a place I wanted to do but seemed like transport was a bit of a nightmare. Some of the landscapes are quite isolated.

I guess its a good way to ease yourself into travelling...meet a few people and maybe do further independent travelling with them afterwards
Old 02-25-2004, 03:23 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Your very right there OZMATE...

Scandinavia has been a thorn in my side since i started planning my trip. I have come to the conclusion to leave Norway out of this summers trip, but planning on catching a ferry from the uk to Bergen (or somewhere around there) the following summer to check out the fjords, and oslo.

Things are just sooo spread out up there. Still planning on seeing denmark, sweeden, finland and estonia though, before flying back from Estonia to Berlin.

The contiki would be a could thing though, it was like $1800 or something?

Last time i was in europe i did a 14 day contiki. Europe was a bit of a blur though, slept on the bus in the day, drank every night. It was good fun, but im going back this time, to hopefully see the REAL europe.

Later
Leeroy

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:33 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Last time i was in europe i did a 14 day contiki. Europe was a bit of a blur though, slept on the bus in the day, drank every night. It was good fun, but im going back this time, to hopefully see the REAL europe.

Oh ya, I forgot that part...Ozpacka is right on this one, the trip can become a blur if you wake up every morning with a hangover, and use more booze to make it go away...

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:08 AM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by urOZm8@Feb 25 2004, 09:12 AM
Hey there faith!* I have booked a contiki tour of Scandinavia for 3 weeks.* I am also going on my first trip alone.* I chose to do this for a few reasons -
- Scandinavia is a very expensive area to travel and doing it with Contiki seemed a competitive price.
- It was a place I wanted to do but seemed like transport was a bit of a nightmare.* Some of the landscapes are quite isolated.
Interesting, Scandinavia is on my list too. Normally, I wouldn't really consider Contiki cuz it's pricey and has a fixed schedule with no flexibility. Everything is planned and you are locked in once you're on. But, maybe it's the lesser of other transportation "evils" in spread-out Scandinavia?

What are the other transportation options in Sweden, Finland, Norway and Iceland? Rail? Public Bus? Etc.?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:25 AM   #9
Members

At first I wasn't at all interested in an organized tour, but I'm starting to think a short one might not be such a bad idea, get used to travelling , and hopefully meet peope to travel with, after all my friends have let me down. It is expensive though...does anyone have opinions on the superior vs. budget trips? and where do you think an organized tour is better (besides scandanavia) and where is better to go yourself?
faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 10:55 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

i was thinking about taking a contiki tour around europe. depending on what tour you take, you get to see lots of countries for a really competitive price. plus you meet lots of great people.

crio
Old 02-25-2004, 11:21 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Red face

I've taken both STRAY and BUSABOUT bus tours. These both have been described elsewhere on this board. They are both great for short trips where you're limited for time. Contiki is just a lot pricier and less flexible. Ok, it's not flexible at all. But, if you don't have time to deviate from a major set route anyways, then that's irrelevant.
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:40 PM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Im basically going to find out all about it once im there, and forced to make a decision about travel...

One thing ive read many places though is that the train ride from OSLO to BERGEN may be one of the most scenic in the world...

Well worth a go i thinks...

Leeroy

Travelpunk - More extreme than your Mum!
Ozpacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:06 AM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
What are the other transportation options in Sweden, Finland, Norway and Iceland? Rail? Public Bus? Etc.?
Scandinavia is covered by Eurail. There is also the scanrail pass Thats all I know offhand.

Quote:
The contiki would be a could thing though, it was like $1800 or something?
It was just over $2000AUD.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:51 AM   #14
TPunk Emeritus

wow before this thread, i had no idea that contiki was so inflexible (word??). good to know....

don't fence me innnnnnn.....

crio
Old 03-12-2004, 06:02 PM   #15
Members

Send a message via MSN to Mysterica

In 2000 I took a one month and a half conitki tour...It was my frist time travelling to europe on my own I really wanted to rough it out on my own but I was kinda scared because I did not know what to expect..I was 21 and being a girl..so I decided to do a contiki tour because it was kinda like an introduction to europe. The cost was great because I took the hotel one and it included my air flight (the return I did not end up using ) I spent $1500 canadian..there was a lot of laughs, tears, and a lot of nights I don't remember..hahaha being on the bus was a riot..when they would pick us up from the bars..most of us were drunk..we would be dancing on the bus...I met a handfull of great people and saw a lot of great things..after the tour ended i spent the next four months wandering around europe... I don't know if I would do a contiki tour again...I enjoy more having the option not having an itineray.