Ariving SEptember 6th La, First time TRaveller - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-28-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
Members

Send a message via AIM to Stokely

Hey all, im coming to Usa in SEptember for hopefully 3 months, completly terrified at the moment but something I really want to do, Im coming on my own and heading from La to everywhere and anywhere heading eventually to New York. Im female and a little worried about travelling alone, if anyone has any tips or wants to hook up let me know. Or like if there are certain areas i should avoid
Old 07-28-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Well, having lived in LA for 8 years, if there's any particular type of thing you're interested in, let me know - there are some other TP'ers in the area as well (at least TP himself, for one!), so you won't lack for tips. I'm up around SF now, so if you head north, give us a holler.

In the meantime, here are some of my favorite places to take people in LA:

Lake Hollywood (Reservoir) - you actually have to start from north of Hollywood to get there, but once you wind up the hills and through the residential neighborhoods, you'll go past a big body of water and wind up near a big park in the middle of the hills. From there, you'll have an unobscured, close-up view of the Hollywood sign that most tourists don't get, which usually makes for impressive photos.

Venice Beach - Not the most savory place at night, but that's improved a bit over the years. No matter - walk along there and check out all the people selling knick-knacks along the strand - it's a great freak-show year-round. Make sure you check out the funky houses toward the south end of the beach, and then walk back a few blocks into the city itself and see the canals. Great place to rent a bike or a set of skates and not spend too much money. (Also, you can look into staying in Venice, at the Venice Beach Cotel or the Cadillac hostels... both are pretty cool.) You can bike just north a couple of miles to Santa Monica and enjoy the weather, the clean streets, and the yuppie shops of 3rd Street Promenade. (Don't miss the expats at Ye Olde King's Head if you're missing home.)

Sunset Strip & Melrose - only because you gotta. Just don't attempt to take a cab down the street on Friday or Saturday night, or you're going to be paying a king's ransom. Stop by the Red Rock for a great pint of Boddington's or a killer Long Island Iced Tea while you people-watch over Sunset. Go nuts at Amoeba records and their all-too-big selection. Head south on Fairfax near Melrose and either put up with the crotchety old servers at Canter's Deli, or better yet, get the best slice of pizza around at Damiano's Mr. Pizza across the street. Walk around Melrose and wonder "who the hell buys this crap?" Proceed to buy lots of crap.

Getty Center - go up on a weekday and check out the Getty Center museum. I believe it's free then. The collection of art is impressive, but even more so are the views of the surrounding area. Afterward, head down to Westwood (about a mile away) and mourn for what used to be a great little college town - the last scrap of its old soul being Diddy Riese, where you can get awesome cookies dirt cheap.

Farmer's Market - At Fairfax and 3rd, I believe. Lots of cool little produce stands, good food, and people handing out free tickets for TV show tapings. (Actually, you'll run into that everywhere, but the Market is at least the most appealing place.)

Places to avoid: Disneyland, Universal Studios, etc. etc.

Biggest frustration: Public transportation. It exists, but it'll rarely go where you want to go without tons of transfers.

As a girl traveling alone, you'll be safe as long as you don't wander into what are obviously run-down areas. If you go to any big-name clubs, prepare to get hit on by flashy guys with nice rides. If you take a taxi anywhere, make sure it's a short ride - it's amazing how expensive they are and how spread out LA is. As much as you might feel for them, don't give money to people on the streets. It's amazing how many others will suddenly show up expecting a handout as well.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 06:26 PM   #3
Members

Stokely

I'm in vancouver at the mo, but will be travelling down south to SF/grand canyon/Florida before heading up the east coast over the next 3 months, before heading back to the Uk from Boston

You have to go check out Grand Canyon - it is truely mind boggling.

What route have you planned? may be that our paths cross

Naj
naj131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 01:51 AM   #4
Members

Send a message via AIM to Stokely

THanks guys I really appreciate this, and am feeling much better already. Hopefully I will meet up with some T punks on my way. I am really interested in live music so would love to check some out whilst im there, If anyone knows of any places...??