My Introuction & Questions - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-17-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
Members

Thumbs up

My name is David, I attend college in Iowa. I'm 20 years old and wanting to hit the road and do some traveling through Europe.

I had some questions, was hoping someone would be willing to go through and answer for me?

1. I thought that if you bought a Eurail, you had free travel from then on out from each destination? It appears from other posts though, that you have to still pay a small fee to travel? I was looking at the train map, and it appears to read that these small fees are in fact about $80 and $100 dollars. Would that be correct? I dunno, but to me, that's not so small.

2. If you're wanting to travel to Europe and for your first trip try to hit up about 7-10 countries, would you advise against that? Spending 2-3 days in each city, just to get a taste and then pick ones you want to return to on a later trip.

3. Would you find it okay to just leave behind about $500-$1000 for your family to buy you a plane ticket home when you call them? Or should you go ahead and keep the money on you and buy one when you're ready to go home?

4. What would be the best advisable route to get to Europe? Plane obviously (I asume) but from the USA, any airliners that are just the preferred choice? What landing city tends to offer the cheapest prices from the US (I would probably take off from Charlotte, NC)?

5. The only times I would be available to go are between June - August, any idea on which time would be considerably better suited for a tourist? Which would be better for the wallet?

I 'm sure there will be more problems -- but this is a good start.

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone that is willing to help me,

much appreciate,

David Gilliam
gheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

> I'm 20 years old and wanting to hit the road and do some traveling through Europe.

-- Welcome to Travelpunk!

I had some questions, was hoping someone would be willing to go through and answer for me?

> 2. If you're wanting to travel to Europe and for your first trip try to hit up about > 7-10 countries, would you advise against that?

-- Nothing wrong with that...lots of folks bounce across the continent on their first trip over there. I don't think its the best way to travel, but hey, it's almost a tradition. So, as long as you spend 2-3 days at each stop and don't sleep in a different city every night, you will get some quality time in each location. I like 3 days...gives you a chance to unpack, spend a couple days seeing the city's sights, then a third day to take a day trip out of town to something nearby. Don't neglect that: You don't want to spend the whole trip in big cities...get out into the countryside.

> 3. Would you find it okay to just leave behind about $500-$1000 for your family > to buy you a plane ticket home when you call them?

-- I'd go ahead and make the best guess estimate on when you'll be coming home, and buy a return leg (an Open Jaw ticket -- where you return from a different city than you arrived -- will keep you from doubling back). Make sure you know how much "change fees" can be if you come home on a different date, and keep that money with you. Ask the reservations agents or ticket counter where you buy it to explain that to you. Sometimes, not only is there a "Change Fee" for going at a different time or on a different flight, but sometimes you also have to pay the difference between the "fare class" your ticket is in and a higher fare class you're changing to. For example, most airlines use a letter to designate a Fare, say, a ticket bought six weeks ahead of time, traveling at off peak times could be a "K" fare. If you change it to a ticket where you're not buying it six months ahead of time, it may go up to a "G" Fare. Then, if you travel in "peak" time, it could be yet a higher fare. So, ask all these questions when you buy your return fare so you don't get blindsided by unexpected charges.

> 4. What would be the best advisable route to get to Europe?

-- You'll find London and Amsterdam are two cities with lots of cheap fares going into. Get the best deal you can, and start your circuit from there.

> 5. The only times I would be available to go are between June - August

-- Ugh...peak travel time. Expect crowds at the sights, full hostels and hotels, and a flood of travelers contending for the same trains, places to stay, etc. On the other hand, there will be lots of other travelers to hook up with and meet, party, get suggestions, and so on. I would reserve my hostels ahead of time (even if from an internet cafe a day or two beforehand) for the most popular cities...London, Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, etc.

I'll let someone else answer the Eurail questions...I haven't used it.

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 10:58 AM   #3
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by worldwidemike@Dec 18 2005, 11:35 AM
> I'm 20 years old and wanting to hit the road and do some traveling through Europe.

-- Welcome to Travelpunk!

> 2. If you're wanting to travel to Europe and for your first trip try to hit up about > 7-10 countries, would you advise against that?

-- Nothing wrong with that...lots of folks bounce across the continent on their first trip over there.* I don't think its the best way to travel, but hey, it's almost a tradition.* So, as long as you spend 2-3 days at each stop and don't sleep in a different city every night, you will get some quality time in each location.* I like 3 days...gives you a chance to unpack, spend a couple days seeing the city's sights, then a third day to take a day trip out of town to something nearby.* Don't neglect that: You don't want to spend the whole trip in big cities...get out into the countryside.

> 3. Would you find it okay to just leave behind about $500-$1000 for your family > to buy you a plane ticket home when you call them?

-- I'd go ahead and make the best guess estimate on when you'll be coming home, and buy a return leg (an Open Jaw ticket -- where you return from a different city than you arrived -- will keep you from doubling back).* Make sure you know how much "change fees" can be if you come home on a different date, and keep that money with you.* Ask the reservations agents or ticket counter where you buy it to explain that to you.* Sometimes, not only is there a "Change Fee" for going at a different time or on a different flight, but sometimes you also have to pay the difference between the "fare class" your ticket is in and a higher fare class you're changing to.* For example, most airlines use a letter to designate a Fare, say, a ticket bought six weeks ahead of time, traveling at off peak times could be a "K" fare.* If you change it to a ticket where you're not buying it six months ahead of time, it may go up to a "G" Fare.* Then, if you travel in "peak" time, it could be yet a higher fare.* So, ask all these questions when you buy your return fare so you don't get blindsided by unexpected charges.
> 4. What would be the best advisable route to get to Europe?

-- You'll find London and Amsterdam are two cities with lots of cheap fares going into.* Get the best deal you can, and start your circuit from there.

> 5. The only times I would be available to go are between June - August

-- Ugh...peak travel time.* Expect crowds at the sights, full hostels and hotels, and a flood of travelers contending for the same trains, places to stay, etc.* On the other hand, there will be lots of other travelers to hook up with and meet, party, get suggestions, and so on.* I would reserve my hostels ahead of time (even if from an internet cafe a day or two beforehand) for the most popular cities...London, Amsterdam, Paris, Rome, Barcelona, etc.

I'll let someone else answer the Eurail questions...I haven't used it.

worldwidemike
[snapback]93628[/snapback]

You've been to the Czech Republic, Mike -- do you think it would be worthwhile to spend about a month there? It's a place I've always wanted to see and I thought maybe I could spend about a month there hopping from one city to the other. What do you think?

I know there is a Eurail pass that would permit me to travel between Austria and the Czech Republic -- though I'm sure I would spend the vast majority of my time there, probably 3 of the 4 weeks. Hit up Austria for the first week and then head for the last 3 weeks to the Czech Republic.

Wondering what your advice on this would be.

I hear pickpocketing is a major concern in Prague so they advise people to wear money wallets around their neck, but tucked under their shirt -- would you agree?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

Quote:
My name is David, I attend college in Iowa.
I'm so sorry. I'm from Wisconsin, we lived near Iowa (Dubuque) for a few years. I can say that!

Quote:
1. I thought that if you bought a Eurail, you had free travel from then on out from each destination? It appears from other posts though, that you have to still pay a small fee to travel? I was looking at the train map, and it appears to read that these small fees are in fact about $80 and $100 dollars. Would that be correct? I dunno, but to me, that's not so small.
If you have the pass (and there is quite a variety of them) you have to pay if you make a reservation (which is not always necessary). The fee, so I've heard is usually a few dollars for the resy (just guaranteeing you have a spot). You need a resy for overnight trains and some others, but my hubby and I (sans pass this trip) never needed one otherwise. When I went the first time, had the pass, never made a reservation, but I think we ended up on a reservation obligatory train once and had to pay a nominal fee. The 80-100 dollars is what you'll pay (depending on where you go of course) for a ticket sans pass.

Quote:
2. If you're wanting to travel to Europe and for your first trip try to hit up about 7-10 countries, would you advise against that? Spending 2-3 days in each city, just to get a taste and then pick ones you want to return to on a later trip.
Mike gave great advice. This about how much time you'll be spending in Europe and what cities you want to see. The first time there, make it more about what you'd like to do (quality) versus how many countries you want under your belt (quanitity).

Quote:
3. Would you find it okay to just leave behind about $500-$1000 for your family to buy you a plane ticket home when you call them? Or should you go ahead and keep the money on you and buy one when you're ready to go home?
I would say it's a super idea because you can't touch the money.

Quote:
4. What would be the best advisable route to get to Europe? Plane obviously (I asume) but from the USA, any airliners that are just the preferred choice? What landing city tends to offer the cheapest prices from the US (I would probably take off from Charlotte, NC)?
Don't forget Dublin. Aer Lingus is a phenomenol airline and they have some amazing prices. They also fly to the mainland from Dublin/Shannon. Don't forget about Easyjet and Ryanair (two main budget airlines - Ryan flies from Dub)

Quote:
5. The only times I would be available to go are between June - August, any idea on which time would be considerably better suited for a tourist? Which would be better for the wallet?
Early June!! The real tourist season starts mid June, so you can still get affordable tickets to Europe before about the 15th. Also, the difference between August 30 vs Sept 1st can be astronomical, so if you can stay until very early September, it could be worth it financially. I understand you're a student so you may not have the option - if that's the case, book your ticket home at least a month in advance. We came home end of August (couldn't stay until beginning of Sept) and it cost $700 vs $250 last minute for leaving a week earlier. That was with TONS of searching.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:12 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

First off welcome to the boards! I have to agree with everything Mike said here.
Other options maybe to check out some of the cheap airlines that we have here in Europe as most will start selling their Summer flights soon companies such as ryanair easyjet skyeurope jet2.com wizzair. Companies such as Ryanair you can get a cheap single flight to say Riga for about £20 and then you could hit up the Baltic countries by using bus companies such as eurolines where i recently got a single to vilnius for £7 and its much quicker than the train. Bear in mind that travelling East and central europe is much cheaper than west europe.

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

welcome!!

when i used eurail there was only "reservation" fee's for high speed and border crossing trains. i think the most i paid was 10 euro for paris to amsterdam, but i never took night trains which i think are more.
Old 12-18-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Members

So what would you guys say to hitting up Eastern Europe for a month? Perhaps break each trip into viewing a region of Europe?

I definitely want to see the Czech Republic and Romania.

How's this itinerary, with spending approximately a week in each:

Romania
Czech Republic
Lithuania
Latvia
Estonia

I've found quite a few nice flights from Charlotte, NC to Bucharest - by changing carriers on the way, it would cost me about $700 for a one way ticket, and it would include a nice layover in Poland too.

Once my trip is over, I would fly from Latvia to London, and then from London back to Charlotte.

It seems to safely cover this trip, I would need to save about $5000. Does that sound right? A flight there, approximately 2700$ once there, and then a flight home -- could probably get by fine with 4500$.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-18-2005, 08:36 PM   #8
french touch

Is it because you've already found the ticket back home from Latvia or because you want to see the country, that you're intending to go so up north ? Having been in Eastern Europe for 6 weeks, I can tell you that the trains are slow, even the ones called speed... I can't figure out how you'll fully enjoy your trip spending that much time sitting in those trains (and they can be quite an experience, especially in Romania !).

One week per country is a good idea, and allow time to see a bit of the countryside, to get a better sense of the culture. In Eastern Europe, middle age like agriculture is still often the base of the economy. The outdoor markets also are worth seeing.

One month is fast gone, so I would suggest you concentrate on one area, either around Romania (Romania-Hungary-Czech Republic for example), or the North (Baltics+Poland). But there must be a train between Prague and Vilnius (Lithuania). I know there is a Prague-Moscow (45 hours) and a Warsaw-St. Petersburg (about 30 hours).

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 08:49 PM   #9
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by atchoum@Dec 18 2005, 11:36 PM
Is it because you've already found the ticket back home from Latvia or because you want to see the country, that you're intending to go so up north ? Having been in Eastern Europe for 6 weeks, I can tell you that the trains are slow, even the ones called speed... I can't figure out how you'll fully enjoy your trip spending that much time sitting in those trains (and they can be quite an experience, especially in Romania !).

One week per country is a good idea, and allow time to see a bit of the countryside, to get a better sense of the culture. In Eastern Europe, middle age like agriculture is still often the base of the economy. The outdoor markets also are worth seeing.

One month is fast gone, so I would suggest you concentrate on one area, either around Romania (Romania-Hungary-Czech Republic for example), or the North (Baltics+Poland). But there must be a train between Prague and Vilnius (Lithuania). I know there is a Prague-Moscow (45 hours) and a Warsaw-St. Petersburg (about 30 hours).
[snapback]93761[/snapback]
I've always wanted to see the countries around the Czech Republic -- my father went a while back and brought back some gorgeous pictures.

I would love to hit up the Czech Republic and Romania. I'm sure I would have fun in Hungary as well, I don't know too much about that country other than some pictures of Budapest that I've seen. They do look wonderful though.

So a month in the Czech Republic might be too much? A week in each would be rather cool that's for sure.

Right now I'm just trying to map out possibilities of where I could go -- my major area of interest is Eastern Europe for my first trip, as I've always wanted to go since I saw my father's pictures when I was 12.

I'll definitely look at Hungary some more though, thanks for the info.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
french touch

Quote:
Originally posted by gheid@Dec 18 2005, 11:49 PM
So a month in the Czech Republic might be too much? A week in each would be rather cool that's for sure.
I'm sorry, this is not what I meant. I personally think that taking time to visit thoroughly a country is the best way to understand it. I thought you wanted to see all those countries in one month, which is possible, but quick. It mostly depends on your goals and your «affinities» with the country. Sometimes, after a few days, one feels it's enough, sometimes after weeks in a country, one cries when he has to go home.

people are people

Old 12-18-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by atchoum@Dec 18 2005, 11:55 PM
I'm sorry, this is not what I meant. I personally think that taking time to visit thoroughly a country is the best way to understand it. I thought you wanted to see all those countries in one month, which is possible, but quick. It mostly depends on your goals and your «affinities» with the country. Sometimes, after a few days, one feels it's enough, sometimes after weeks in a country, one cries when he has to go home.
[snapback]93770[/snapback]
Oh, ok -- I understand what you mean now.

I would agree that jumping between 5 countries in 4 weeks is really not fair to me -- it won't be that much time to spend in each country. At most, maybe 4-6 days. Though if I keep it to 2-3 countries, I could spend a week in each at a minimum or less, should I (for example) decide that Romania is not to my liking. or should I really enjoy Prageue, I could stay for two weeks and base my itinerary on that.

My main goal is just to take in everything -- experience some local food and just sightsee. I just want to walk around and take in everything.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:12 PM   #12
french touch

Yes, one of the key to the success of your trip is to keep your itinerary flexible. And take in consideration my advise to see the countryside. Knowing a country only by its capital or metropole is missing its soul. Like tourists in USA, seeing only New-York, Los Angeles or Las Vegas ! And the countryside in Eastern Europe is so, so charming !

people are people

Old 12-18-2005, 09:35 PM   #13
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

let me just add another, Welcome

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:39 PM   #14
Members

Quote:
Originally posted by kingcrazylegs@Dec 19 2005, 12:35 AM
let me just add another, Welcome
[snapback]93794[/snapback]
Thanks bud
Old 12-18-2005, 09:45 PM   #15
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

and another welcome

Where ive been: Cộng Hòa Xã Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote