article: unravelling common travel myths - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 03-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38
Default article: unravelling common travel myths

Found this article on Yahoo News and thought everyone might find it interesting. It discusses the facts behind certain travel myths like "will using a cell phone on a plane cause it to crash?" and shit.

Check it out!

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post
"will using a cell phone on a plane cause it to crash?" and shit.
Yea, that one is annoying because so many people with zero technical background believe it.

I had an old granny lecture me once on why I should turn my cell off on the plane or it might "interfere" with the plane's electronics. Obviously, she was just repeating an urban legend.

But I just turned it off rather than have to argue with a granny...
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:05 PM   #3
Mod

Send a message via MSN to aliz

aww man now I feel dumb for believing the cell phone thing. I guess I had too much faith in flight attendants
Old 03-15-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
Certified Wise

I've gotten dirty looks for chatting on my mobile at both petrol stations and hospitals. Obviously I'm going to turn off someones life support/explode a car by chatting to a mate. If that was the case the Terrorists would be running around with mobiles 24/7.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
Rabidly Xenophilic

The gas station cell phone thing always made me laugh...there's no way the electronics in a cell phone can cause a spark so they couldn't cause a fire. I actually saw there's a Mythbusters episode on this topic the other day.

And I always keep my phone on when I'm on planes...I admit it! Not to make calls, but because I don't wear a watch so I use it to figure out how much time is left on my flight
Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

They had a thing on MythBusters about it, but said they couldn't truly test it wrong on an airplane because it's against federal law to do so. Guess someone will have to email this to them. Wouldn't someone with a private jet be able to test this, then?

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:05 PM   #7
Rabidly Xenophilic

I found this page on the FAA's website: http://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/...fm?newsId=6275

Quote:
Since 1991, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has banned the inflight use of 800 MHz cell phones because of potential interference with ground networks. This ban requires that in addition to the testing the FAA requires to show non-interference to the airplane systems, an airline would also need to apply for an exemption to the FCC rule before it could allow cell phone use inflight.

Today, airlines may let passengers use newer-model cell phones in what's called "airplane" mode, which essentially disables the transmission function so they can't make calls. This mode lets users do other things, such as play a game, check an address or look at the phone's calendar.

In February 2005, the FCC issued a proposal to lift the restriction on 800 MHz cell phone calls while airborne if such phones are operating under control of equipment installed in the airplane (e.g., "pico cell" technology) that acts as an antenna for onboard callers and controls the power level of the phones themselves.

Even if the FCC rescinds its ban, FAA regulations would still apply. Any installed equipment would be subject to FAA certification, just like any other piece of hardware. The air carrier would have to show that the use of a particular model phone won't interfere with the navigation and communications systems of the particular type of aircraft on which it will be used.
So I'd say the article is wrong and they are banned, and even if they weren't banned the airlines would have to prove to the FAA that every single model of phone is safe on every type of aircraft before it could be used. That sounds really expensive, and then the flight attendants would have to know how to recognize every model of phone to tell if they were allowed or not.

I am such a research nerd
Old 03-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
Certified Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by maracle View Post
So I'd say the article is wrong and they are banned, and even if they weren't banned the airlines would have to prove to the FAA that every single model of phone is safe on every type of aircraft before it could be used. That sounds really expensive, and then the flight attendants would have to know how to recognize every model of phone to tell if they were allowed or not.
Which is a good thing because it would suck sitting in front of a person constantly making phone calls for 10 hours.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:56 AM   #9
Mod

can you even use a phone to call someone from a plane? I didn't think that would work...
Old 03-16-2008, 03:04 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

Yep...they will work. Remember the 9/11 phone calls..

I am MORE than happy they remain banned on flights. People can be so obnoxious on their cell phones. Like raoulduke says, can you imagine sitting next to some self-absorbed celljerk on a transPacific flight...?

Let us keep the peace...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:36 AM   #11
Mod

ohh yeah... but how would they work on long haul flights? surely there's no mobile reception in the middle of the ocean?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

I would assume satellites. Though that'd be some huge ass roaming bill.

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
Yep...they will work. Remember the 9/11 phone calls..
Well, that's another can of worms...

Do those alleged calls really prove that cellphones could work on airplanes at altitude then, or did they prove something else?

I dunno, I turned my phone on once when we were in descent to landing, just to see if I could get a signal...and I couldn't.

Well, you fly alot - why don't you do a little covert experiment for us?

Turn your celly on a few times at altitude and see if you can make any calls?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
TPunk Emeritus

Well, if you'd have posted that a couple weeks ago, I'd have answered that I don't OWN a cell phone. However, much to the unsettling of the world, the total disruption of feng shui, the reversal of the True Path and scrambling of the letters in the secret name of Rome, I have a cell phone now.

I know. Run screaming for the hills, for the End is surely near.

That said, unlikely that I'll attempt that little experiment as the possibility of their use is fairly proven. The wisdom of surrendering that last blessed bit of space free from cell phone blather is what's in doubt...!

So, all Tpunkers who want me to have their cell numbers, feel free to PM me and I'll reply back with mine...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:22 PM   #15
Hiked the Inca Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
However, much to the unsettling of the world, the total disruption of feng shui, the reversal of the True Path and scrambling of the letters in the secret name of Rome, I have a cell phone now.

worldwidemike
Believe me...NOBODY is more amazed than me! When he said he was going to get a cell phone I just about fell off my chair. We've got a couple of friends I'll probably never hear from again just because they called me wondering if Mike was around.

I'm with Mike though...let's leave this ONE place where I don't have to be bothered with someone else's LOUD conversation so they can feel important. Disconnect for a little while folks...it won't kill you - I promise. (end rant)

Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer (an ad in the Smithsonian)

Travel is the enemy of bigotry.
jengt is offline   Reply With Quote