Single Again! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #1
Immigrating? Easy? Right.

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05

Hey all!! I just wanted to say thank you so much for all of your country help. i.e. Where the hell am I moving, OZ and NZ info, etc.

My ex-boyfriend of a year gave up on the relationship, he was in NZ, I was in the US. 4 months of not seeing each other just kind of got to him, sooooo I am not moving to NZ anymore. So I've been thinking about where now?

The US bores me. I want something fun.

So I am thinking either:
Dublin
London (only city I have actually been to)
Melbourne
Sydney
Cruise ship (have an in)

Any ideas, fill me in. I'm going to have a shiny tourism degree and can go off wherever. So pick a city and tell me why you like it, others are welcome too. Now do it, you know you want to

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
"As long as we have memories of the ones we love, we will always be home" - me
Claudette
Go Gators!
indierock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

My stock response: Barcelona

But if you're single, please head out to San Francisco first. This place is sorely lacking in sane, single women who aren't man-haters.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to indierock05 Send a message via Yahoo to indierock05 Send a message via Skype™ to indierock05

Two very viable options. But the man-hater part, I am a scorn women, come on! Just kidding.

"The whole object of travel is to not set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one's own country as foreign land" -G.K. Chesterton
Claudette
Go Gators!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #4
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

Those are all fabulous cities.

It just depends what you want really!

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:25 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Go check out Asia!! You want to feel like you are outside the U.S....that's the place to do it (but I am biased, absolutely love the region and plan to head over there myself next year).

Bangkok - the most crazy mix of poverty/3rd world conditions with 1st world moderninity(is that a word?) you could ever imagine. Great food, not bad nightlife, near to all the great things Thailand has to offer.

Hong Kong - fantastic mix of East and West, great modern city with an old Asian flavor. Fantastic views of the sea, great nightlife, great food, commerce center of Asia (expensive as hell but no worse than London).

Singapore - beautiful, modern, clean city, traffic and pollution not too bad but still maintaining an Asian flare. Tropical weather, easy to travel all around the rest of Asia.

Hey, don't get me wrong, Europe's great, but if you want to step outside of your comfort zone, Asia is the place to go. Good luck!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #6
Tpunk Senior Moderators

From what I hear about cruise ships, unless you want to work tons, and have minimal shore time at ports, I wouldn't do it. I don't think I would move anywhere without atleast visiting once first. I'd hate to see you commit to something, arrive and then regret. There are soooooo many options, start thinking about weather, any language barriers, temp. residence permits, etc... I hope to move abroad as well, and keep checking out different countries and tracking what I like the best about each. Maybe a nice long trip to a lot of different areas may give you some ideas. Anyways, good luck to ya, and keep your dream going!!!!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:40 AM   #7
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

I wouldn't think Dublin would be a great place to live, it's very expensive. I am biased though I just don't like the place, it's got allot of violent thugs up there, getting around is a pain in the arse. Other citys are allot better though, Cork, Galway, letterkenny, Belfast, Waterford.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:35 PM   #8

I thought about the working a lot thing and I think that may be alright. I am a shit poor student who really doesnt want to go live with her mother. Maybe if I work a lot I will get paid decent. Plus ship for one year+no free time = loans paid off and free game on travelling. But who knows

Claudette
Go Gators!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
Tpunk Senior Moderators

You know, thats a good point. If you don't mind working that much, it would definately give you the chance to get ahead financially. It is also a great way to see lots of the world. I guess it just comes down to what you want and how willing you are to get it. A room on a cruise ship is sooooo much better than a room at your moms!!! Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

true story! Keep us posted. I would love to do the cruise thing for awhile just cause i think it fits my personality pretty well. That and I need to get some ocean time before I go buy my pirate ship. You know.. gotta work on the best ways to raid cruise ships!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:10 PM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

I would say go for the cruise ship only if you can handle being courteous and accomodating to guests at all hours of the day. I personally couldnt handle that part of it.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 09:36 AM   #12

Game on Jake. As for the curtious part, I've been a waitress for five (ew) years, I've learned to be nice to peoples faces pretty well. Plus it helps that my friend has an in and I pretty much have the job already. I'm thinking I'm going to do it start August. I'll keep you posted

Claudette
Go Gators!
Old 11-21-2006, 11:35 AM   #13
Tpunk Senior Moderators

What cruise line?
Old 11-21-2006, 12:51 PM   #14
Members

My brother was a muscian on a cruise line and he saw half the world that way and met tons of people. But it also burned him out pretty badly, the semi-homelessness and constant transience, and yes, the cow-like passengers. If you do it, be sure to do it for no more than a year. That's my advice, anyway.
iomaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #15
Members

Send a message via AIM to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via MSN to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_VeeeNoM

I second Omi, Barca!