What next? USA maybe? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
TPunk Recognized

Default What next? USA maybe?

I've been terrible at keeping touch with anyone who isn't on facebook, for which I apologise, so here's an incredibly brief run down of where I'm at now.

I ended up being away for 2 years, the first half of which can be read about in the travel updates board. During the second half I spent 6 months in SE Asia, which was too long as I was pretty bored by the end, so I then flew to Australia and got a job in Darwin. I got a job working for a company that managed convenience stores in aboriginal communities, so I basically spent the time travelling through the outback to update the computer systems in their stores. It was great fun, but then I reached my 6 month work limit on my visa and decided it was time to go home.

I've now been home for 4 weeks, I started work in central London 2 weeks ago and at the moment I'm commuting from my mums place 90 minutes away! I'm therefore going flat hunting in the city this weekend.

The problem is... Despite the fact I'm loving being back in the UK, and being back has made me realise how much I really love this country, I can't stop thinking about where and when to go travelling next...

My current plan is to wait a few months (so November/December time), and then take my 2 weeks holiday from work, possibly to California as I've never been to the US and have a friend who just moved over there. I know nothing about flights to/in the USA though and the prices I've seen seem astronomical (£650+ return). So, what are the best sites to search on? Airlines to use etc? I'm looking at maybe the Christmas/New Year period to get in as many bank holidays as possible.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Where I'm going: Cyprus (June 2013)
ajb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

I'm not sure about how much it would go up since you're looking to go to/from California, but my partner and I got a ticket for him for August from Dublin to NY for 500 EUR on aer lingus during their summer sale just to give you an idea.

That being said, I'm not the best bargain hunter. Lizz has to keep reminding me to hold my horses and wait on aer lingus deals...

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Hi Adam,
Let me know if you do come to the U.S., and I can fly out to Cally and we can stage a Tpunk Meetup. I am still in awe of your trip...it was truly one for the ages.

What I would suggest is to sign up for the "email saver" alerts that most airlines have. Pick the airlines that fly the route you need to go and watch what they send you. USAirways and American send VERY regular updates. That way, you can keep an eye out for sales. The rest you probably know -- plan on flying on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, try to avoid the heaviest holiday rushes. November (except around Thanksgiving in America) and early December are very slow times for airlines, so hopefully you can find some deals.

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:22 AM   #4
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to mish99

I flew from London - Boston - Seattle - London for £350.

American Airlines is pretty good - I just looked online now and their economy super saver was under £300 return.

I might also be back in the US at the end of the year!! :-)

Currently Working in England

After:Jan 5 - South Africa. Sometime 2012 - Canada!
mish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish99 View Post
I flew from London - Boston - Seattle - London for £350.

American Airlines is pretty good - I just looked online now and their economy super saver was under £300 return.

I might also be back in the US at the end of the year!! :-)

Holy shit!!

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
TPunk Recognized

American Airlines has tickets for £450 on the dates I'm looking at which isn't too bad. I need to wait until my friend gets a job and knows which city he's going to be living in first though, so I'll keep you guys updated.

Mike, that would be awesome, I'll definitely let you know. It's far from definite at the moment though, I'm also considering North Korea, Afghanistan and Sierra Leone, but leaning heavily towards California (most likely with a short side trip to Mexico) at the moment.
Where I've been: Albania, Australia, Belguim, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Colombia, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jersey, Jordan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Latvia, Lebanon, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovenia, Somaliland, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Thailand, Transnistria, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States, Ukraine, Uruguay Uzbekistan, Vatican City, Vietnam, Yemen

Old 07-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

North Korea...?! Are you sure you'd even be allowed in...? My guess is any tourism there would be strictly controlled. No wandering around on your own and seeing the sights -- starving villagers, dissident prison camps, ICBMs pointed at Japan and the Pacific Northwest U.S...

That said, I'm sure you've done your research and know what's possible and what's unlikely...

Keep us posted!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
TPunk Recognized

Brits are allowed in, but only on a tour being shown around by a government minder, you're not allowed to talk to the locals or even look in a direction you're not authorised to, and you go where they take you. On top of that it costs an extortionate amount. That said... it would still be North Korea... I've been reading a lot about it recently, mostly accounts from people who have escaped, and I'm dying even to see even a glimpse.

Last edited by ajb3000; 07-03-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

Check out skyscanner.com, its fantastic! Lets you choose countries, not just specific airports, so you can easily find the cheapest deals.

Also, you probably don't want to go into Mexico from California right now. I'm all about danger and excitement, but that's a REALLY dangerous area right now. You'd be better off flying farther south.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote