is it possible motorcyle travling in europe - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > General Travel Tips, Education, Advice > General Travel Tips and Advice

General Travel Tips and Advice Have you traveled before?- Please share your tips and advice with fellow Tpunks!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2004, 05:56 AM   #1
Members

ok i need help i have a plan im american ( trying to git out ) an i a fool for thinking i can buy a motorcycle on ebay ( uk most likley) flying to london to pick up the bike then heading off for a 3 mo trip across europe my questions are what do i need to do to git motorcycle legal or if buy one with the taxes allreaddy paid does that apply to me also do i need insuranse also do i need medical insurane to travel europe should i take the tunel of ferry to france is it leagal for american to ride across europe with uk plates and license i would like to go from the uk to france to itally to greece to egypt ( i know egypt will create problems but i need to see the pyramids ) is this possible or am i a fool for thinking 5000$ is enough money( aside from motorcyle cost and plane tickets ) anyone who could help with any info would be great
skokinlooser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:47 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Well I know you can rent Scooters and motorcycles over seas, so I do not see a big drama with it. The only thing that might get ya will be the insurence?? With no mailing address that could become an issue. Although I have heard of people using hostels as thier mailing address and having stuff sent there. For a small fee the hostle will hold your mail for you. Hmmmm, If someone from the UK could

Check this site and send them an email regarding temp permits and what not, they will and should have nuff answers you seek...

Drivers and Vehicles Licening Agency (UK)

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Members

Send a message via AIM to hinrgresonance

make sure it is in good condition... no leaks.
oil leaks are quite popular with motorcycles... and are a pain in the butt.
were you inspried by the movie, " Motorcycle Diaries?."
I would recommend that you be an experience motorcyclist to pull a stunt like that, it sounds like it would be a lot of fun if you knew what you were doing.
don't forget the helmet.
3 month trip on 5,000? Yeah- it is possible. (not including bike and tickets)
hinrgresonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:39 PM   #4
Members

Send a message via MSN to nikon

Quote:
Originally posted by hinrgresonance@Jan 3 2005, 06:20 PM
were you inspried by the movie, " Motorcycle Diaries?."
my exact thoughts too! :D

Europe - 8months (April->Decmember 2005)

Countries:
Turkey, Greece, Italy, Spain, France, Switzerland,
Germany, Belgium, Holland, Denmark, Norway,
Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland,
Czech Rep., Austria, Slovakia, Hungary,
Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, England.

nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
Last Departure EYW: 2300

Send a message via AIM to lilwings Send a message via Yahoo to lilwings

From the motorcycle gang of Schweinfurt GE: tips for the guy planning a bike trip in Europe and the middle east.

I told my friends about your thread and asked them about their advice. We are service members currently stationed in Schweinfurt GE (well, actually, we're all deployed right now), but a bulk of the members of our air troop are motorcycle owners or riders. Since our bikes are registered with the US military, registration was something I really had to look into for you. Your bike, straight from the factory, must be registered and insured through the state you plan on registering the bike... ie: a state in the US. You will most likely (as part of your insurance plan) not be able to pick up the bike from the dealer or manufactorer and immediately start riding. Bikes made in Europe for US sale and distro (ie: Triumph, Ducs, and so forth) are made to US specs, not European, wihch are more stringent. To make this simple: you couldn't even hope to get your bike registered in the EU since it wouldn't pass an inspection for registration.

On to insurance. Say you did find a loop hole, and you were able to pick up your bike in England and take it south. There is not an insurance company short of some fly-by-night company that will offer you insurance for many middle eastern and even Eastern European countries. Shit, you can't even take rental cars from Western EU countries into places like Czech, Poland, Hungary, etc.

My best advice to you (and believe me... riding the Alps is amazing) is to get your international drivers (with proper validation for motorcycle operation- this should lcover you for anything from cruisers to liter bikes and so forth) license, verify the rules about rental and insurance with a reputable company in the EU, and rent a bike for Western Europe. Have your new bike sent to your place in the states, and it can wait until you get home... shipping should be included when you buy the bike from an overseas manufacturer.

It's different when you are in the military, because bikes are considered part of your household goods/Unaccompanied Baggage and can be shipped when you PCS to Europe. Then you have to attend safety training and EU licensing for service members overseas. Then you register your bike, provide proof of insurance, and you can ride both on and off post.

I hope that you find this information useful. I can't tell you about how great it is to ride in Europe, but I really don't think it's a viable option for you right now. Rental might be more up your alley, even if it is a little more expensive.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:54 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

i would also try to get some european breakdown cover such as from the

rac

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote