Whats your heritage? - Page 3 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 09-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #41
Members

Send a message via AIM to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via MSN to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_VeeeNoM
Angry

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mermaidnz @ Sep 3 2006, 08:06 PM) [snapback]138155[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
my dads family (for wayyyyy back) is scottish. just regular white new zealanders.
my mums side is also scottish wayyy back, but mum is 1/4 maori (ngapuhi) and regular white new zealander.

guess that makes me 1/8th maori, and the rest of scottish decent?

boring.
[/b]

Question!

Is that you in the pic?
If so you are totally HAWT!

Okie, now to the serious part. . . Is Court and His totally cute majesty of awsomeness (moi) the only people of dark skin in this forum?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:15 PM   #42
TPunk Recognized

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DJ_VeeeNoM @ Sep 7 2006, 07:47 PM) [snapback]138780[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Question!

Is that you in the pic?
If so you are totally HAWT!

Okie, now to the serious part. . . Is Court and His totally cute majesty of awsomeness (moi) the only people of dark skin in this forum?
[/b]

lol. of course its me. thats from a hustler shoot

(btw sorry for bumping this)

www.youtube.com/jandalworldtour
www.youtube.com/theguzzleguts
mermaidnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:23 PM   #43
Drifter in the making.

100% English.. traced back to 1547..

I will not say that your mulberry-trees are dead, but I am afraid they are not alive.
~ Jane Austen in a Letter (1811-05-31)
MolsonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 07:42 PM   #44
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Send a message via AIM to juliagulia Send a message via MSN to juliagulia

can't believe i missed this.

all my grandparents were born in brazil, as were my parents.

my grandmother on my mother's side is from italian descent, and my grandfather's father was black from a long line of slaves, and his mother was some native brazilian (let's just say amazonian).

my father's mother was native brazilian and a portuguese mix, while his father was pretty much portuguese.

So, I'm just this big mutt.

OH! Notice that there is NO Hispanic-ness mentioned there. I'm very nit-picky about that. BRAZILIANS ARE NOT HISPANIC. Latin, yes, but Hispanic means of Spanish origin. I am mostly Italian, Portuguese, Native Brazilian, and Afro-Brazilian. Not Spanish. IF I were to have some sort of Spanish blood in me (which I wouldn't mind, btw), it would likely be on my father's father's side, but the chances are very, very slim.

And, Brazilians do not speak Spanish. Or Brazilian. And yes, Mr. Ardinger (my Precalculus teacher), Portuguese IS a language... not an asparagus :bitter:

And I was born in the U.S.

----

Sorry, I just had to fill out an application for my school, and they asked "which do you consider yourself?" I don't consider myself asian (duh), African-American or white, and I am not going to put down Hispanic just because it's "close enough".

Not that I don't love my fellow Latin people, but I like to have my identity known correctly.

Living In: Belfast, Northern Ireland

Next up!

Poland (February!)
juliagulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 09:27 PM   #45
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

didn't you know, Julia? "Hispanic" is the catch-all minority... it's for all brown people not otherwise listed!

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:47 AM   #46
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Red face

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DJ_VeeeNoM @ Sep 7 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]138780[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
Okie, now to the serious part. . . Is Court and His totally cute majesty of awsomeness (moi) the only people of dark skin in this forum? [/b]
I'm kinda dark?

juliagulia - That's an interesting point. So, should we change the category from "Hispanic" to "Latin?" And does Latin include Hispanics?

Hispanic is pretty narrow, really. Many Mexicans don't even have Spanish blood, for instance. So, technically, they should be "Native American" or even "Asian" (since Indios are distantly Asian) - not "Hispanic."
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:50 AM   #47

Send a message via AIM to SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath

My soul is black? Does that count?

Where have I been? Well, thus far: Argentina, Canada, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, France, Germany, Ireland, Mexico, Japan, The Netherlands...

Where do I want to go? Well...: Central and South America, South East Asia, More of Europe, North, West, and South Africa, and...most places.
SleepIsTheCousinOfDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #48
Tpunk Senior Moderators

well, spanish IS latin, so hispanic would technically be latin.

there's also an issue ive seen with a couple of italian exchange students. italy is a latin country, are they "Latin" as opposed to "Latino."

I don't know, but I don't like being called "Latino," just because I automatically associate that with hispanic...

Next up!

Poland (February!)
Old 09-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #49
Members

Send a message via MSN to chelseafc05

English mums side and Irish dads side gos back a while but... im a full blooded aussie

Where ive been: Cộng Hňa Xă Hội Chủ Nghĩa Việt , Preăh Réachéanachâkr Kâmpŭchea, Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Česká republika, Slovenská republika, Magyar Köztársaság, Republika Slovenija, Republika Hrvatska, Bosna i Hercegovina, Republika Srbija, Republika Balgariya, Türkiye Cumhuriyeti, România, Rzeczpospolita Polska, Lietuvos Respublika, Latvijas Republika, Eesti Vabariik, Republiken Finland

MY NAME IS
Daniel
chelseafc05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:00 PM   #50
TPunk Emeritus

Italians are technically classified as white. Ive always thought the 'white (not of hispanic origen)' kind of an odd category. Apparently 'hispanic' does not include Spanish people from Spain.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:23 PM   #51
lover of Germany

See, now because of exessive labeling I now have issues when filling out forms asking for my ethnic origion. Its not enough to say simply- "white" oohhh no now its "white British" "white European" or "white other." Now, my Mom fits into the white British but my Dad is white European and I was born in Canada...so which box do I check?

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 02:29 AM   #52
celebrating jacks b-day!

Im as irish as they come... thought My nake kris is eastern european and my surname is french. Go figure
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:59 AM   #53
Members

Send a message via MSN to juanduu

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(juliagulia @ Sep 14 2006, 09:42 PM) [snapback]139894[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
BRAZILIANS ARE NOT HISPANIC. Latin, yes, but Hispanic means of Spanish origin. I
[/b]
Hispanic originally means from the Hispanic Peninsula, last time I checked Portugal was still there.

I am 75% from the Basque Country NOT SPAIN NOR FRANCE!!
The other 25% I guess is Criollo, but its untracked, so hard to tell.

We have to build a history worthy of proud, a full-colored humanity, a nature still exuberant, a capability to watch the western civilization in its context and from the shore, not thinking we are superior to anyone. We are more creative than disciplined, more recursive than submissive, we are diverse and spontaneous, and that gives us a great advantage in a future that seems fecund for creativity over the sole physical or mechanical activity.
Our North is the South. SouthAmerica standing and united!
William Ospina
juanduu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:34 AM   #54
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Brazzil - Culture - October 2003

Once again: Brazilians Are Not Hispanic

The terms "Hispanic" and "Latino" within the USA are conflicting. On the one hand they empower Spanish-speaking communities such as Puerto Ricans, Mexicans and Cubans, but on the other hand, they grossly oversimplify Latin America and "racialize" Latin Americans.

Not all Latin American surnames are "Spanish surnames" nor do they end in "ez", (i.e.; Martinez, Lopez) particularly in Brazil. Here are a few examples of surnames of some of the several Brazilian presidents in the past 40 years, who do not have "Spanish surnames" nor do there surnames end in "ez": Kubitchek, Medici, Geisel, Sarney, Collor. In addition, here are some other examples of surnames of presidents from Spanish-speaking Latin American countries that also do not end in "ez" nor do they have "Spanish surnames": Stroessner, Fujimori, Menem, Pinochet, Fox, Kirschner.

A number of the diverse populations who migrated to Brazil include: Portugal, Italy, Poland, France, Germany, Lebanon, Syria, Japan, Russia, Austria, Turkey all of which are disengaged on several levels; medically, culturally, and ethnically from the "Hispanic-Latino" paradigms.

The Brazilian Immigrant Center (Centro Imigrante Brasileiro), in Allston, Massachusetts, was founded in 1995, and serves as a centralized office for Brazilian worker's rights, as well as a general information guide to new Brazilian immigrants. According to the founder and director of the Center, Fausto Mendes da Rocha, the Brazilian population in Massachusetts is calculated by estimating the number of Brazilians in church membership, attendance and services, Brazilian businesses, the telephone and e-mail inquiries received by the Immigrant Center in Allston, and the number of Brazilian newspapers in Massachusetts.

Rocha estimates that there are approximately 231,000 Brazilians living in Massachusetts in 2003, and approximately 1.2 million Brazilians living in the entire USA. These figures are higher to the unrealistically low US Census 2000 figures of 212,428 Brazilians living in the entire USA, and of 36,669 Brazilians living in Massachusetts. The estimated figures of 784,000 Brazilians living in the entire USA, and 200,000 in Massachusetts, from the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs are likely to represent more realistic figures.

The Brazilian population, according to Rocha, has changed since the 1990's, from a transitory one to a more stable and permanent one. This is because, according to him, during the 1990's, Brazilians were working for a year or two and then returning to Brazil, and now, he has noticed a large increase in the number of Brazilian home-ownerships as well as business-ownerships in the past four years, also indicating that Brazilians are no longer returning to Brazil.

According to an article ("O Eldorado Brilha Menos"—The Eldorado Shines Less), written by Eduardo Salgordo on January 16, 2002, in the Brazilian magazine Veja, there are an estimated 800,000 Brazilians living in the USA and 17,000 Brazilians living in Framingham, MA. These population figures for Framingham, MA, are also in accordance with the estimate figures given by The Brazilian Immigrant Center in Allston, MA.

The US Census does not list Brazilians as part of their breakdown of South Americans of "Hispanic" or "Latino" origin living in Massachusetts.

In 2003, the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Affairs has estimated that about 100,000 Brazilians leave Brazil per year, and about one-third of the 2 million Brazilians living abroad are illegal residents (Brazilian Times, Massachusetts, By Paulo Torrens, Aug. 15, 2003).

The studies of anthropologist Maxine Margolis (1998) "An Invisible Minority: Brazilians in New York City" point that in 1996 there was an estimated figure of over 600,000 Brazilians living in the entire USA. The official US Census 1990, estimated that there were 94,087 Brazilians living in the USA. According to Margolis, this figure was severely undercounted and the Brazilian population figures ought to be at least eighty percent higher. This undercount is attributed to several reasons, primarily because of the large unaccountability of undocumented Brazilians, who overstay their tourist visas to continue working in the USA, and fear that revealing any information will result in detection.

Another reason for the undercount, according to Margolis, is the confusion concerning the Census forms, since Brazilians are not Spanish-speaking Latin Americans and hence cannot and do not call themselves "Hispanic", they end up checking other options appears that if Brazilians are not counted, then in effect, they don't exist. For this reason, Margolis has called them the "invisible minority".

Problem of Terminology

The confusing terminology used by the US Census Bureau that give contextual life to a "Hispanic Population", that is, the term semantically migrates from the realm of the "imaginary" to the realm of "reality". Given the confusing semantic context of the interchangeable terms "Spanish", "Hispanic" and "Latino", as seen in US Census 2000, Brazilians mark the "No" box as instructed (i.e., "Mark the No box if not Spanish/Hispanic/Latino").

The US census in 1970 was the first to include a separate question specifically on "Hispanic origin". The term "Latino" appeared on the census form for the first time in 2000. The 1980 and 1990 censuses asked people if they were of "Spanish/Hispanic origin or descent" and then, to choose "Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, or other Spanish/Hispanic". A review of such ethnic categories would indicate the need for addressing a problem in order to establish the accurate count of Brazilian populations living in the USA. The misguided semantic problem, based on misinformation on Brazilian ethnic identities and complexities, is that Spanish language or ancestry, "Hispanic" and "Latino" are interchangeable.

"The terms "Spanish," "Hispanic origin," and "Latino" are used interchangeably. Some respondents identify with all three terms while others may identify with only one of these three specific terms."

Source: US Department of Commerce, US Census Bureau 2000, "Massachusetts: 2000 Summary Population and Housing Characteristics", Page B-8, Issued 2002: http://www.census.gov/prod/www/abs/briefs.html

The manifestations of the interchangeable terms "Spanish/Hispanic/Latino" give life to the perpetuation of Latin American inaccuracies, stereotypes, and ascriptions particularly dissimilar to Brazilians.

The exclusion of Brazilians within the "Hispanic" and "Latino" paradigms in the US occurs for several reasons and in various ways. Firstly, Brazilians are not actively integrated or engaged within the US "Hispanic" or "Latino" political process, nor are they part of the significant US Spanish-speaking public discourse. Secondly, from a geo-political perspective, Brazil is further away from the US than countries such as Mexico, Puerto Rico, or Cuba; and in addition, the former three countries have shared a longer historical and political relationship with the US than Brazil. Thirdly, Brazilians are distinctly dissimilar from other Latin Americans within many dimensions (i.e., linguistically, culturally, historically, ethnically).

The Portuguese language spoken in Brazil, Brazilian ethnicity, and Brazilian culture are not interchangeable with "Spanish/Hispanic/Latino". The Jeitinho Brasileiro ("The Brazilian way"), the Jogo Bonito ("The Beautiful Game", a Brazilian reference to Brazilian-style soccer) and Samba (Unique Brazilian Samba music), are not interchangeable with "Spanish/Hispanic/Latino". In addition, the Brazilian raison d'ętre is devoid of any relationship within the "Hispanic-Latino" paradigms.

In a sense, "Hispanic" and "Latino" have inaccurately "racialized" all Latin Americans, and have thus "latinamericanized" all of Latin America monolithically and homogenously.

The implication is that there is an illusory "Hispanic" or "Latino" "race" or that there is a single imaginary country where "Hispanics" and "Latinos" come from, and of course, neither is true.

Alan P. Marcus (Master's of Science in Geography in progress) is a Brazilian living in the USA. He has also written other articles on Brazilian issues on identity, "race", ethnicity, and animal ethics for Brazzil magazine, available online: www.brazzil.com E-mail contact: amarcus@geo.umass.edu
[/b]
A Map on Hispanic Populations

Here's another (badly written :P ) article written by a Brazilian sutdent at BYU. I was really surprised that she basically said every single little thing that annoys me about lack of Brazilian knowledge (like, we speak either Spanish or Brazilian).

Next up!

Poland (February!)
Old 09-16-2006, 10:19 AM   #55
Members

Send a message via AIM to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via MSN to DJ_VeeeNoM Send a message via Yahoo to DJ_VeeeNoM

Dude she said hustler!

Okie the cute blonde you get the rights to add me to Myspace and even MSN!

Old 09-18-2006, 12:14 PM   #56
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Thumbs up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(juliagulia @ Sep 16 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]140006[/snapback]</div>
Quote:
A Map on Hispanic Populations

Here's another (badly written :P ) article written by a Brazilian sutdent at BYU. I was really surprised that she basically said every single little thing that annoys me about lack of Brazilian knowledge (like, we speak either Spanish or Brazilian).[/b]
Wow. I am thoroughly, THOROUGHLY confused now.

So, what is the Reader's Digest version bottom line here? What exactly is the definition of each? And are Hispanic, Latino & White all mutually-exclusive or different groups but with a few intersecting subsets?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote