First stop: better to be "modern" or "3rd world"? - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-19-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
T-PUNK RANGER

Default First stop: better to be "modern" or "3rd world"?

Wasn't sure how to sum this up in a short spot in the title...Basically, I'd love to hear what you all think about a first time traveller and what type of place they should go first on an extended solo trip.

I got A Map For Saturday in the mail yesterday and loved it. But it brought up an interesting point. This guy went to Australia first and then Asia. Australia seemed hard for him, going through all the "omg I'm alone" moments, and saying goodbye to people he met at the hostel, etc but when he got to Asia he realized Australia was, I think he said, like a "training ground" for backpackers.

So here is the question, is it better to go to one of these training ground places or to jump right into the harder locales? There are a ton of emotions you go through in the beginning, including lonliness but also including everything being cool and new. Another person in the film said that at first you are like WOW a Waterfall, and then you're like "oh another waterfall".

So it seems like the beginning is really an amazing time, is it wasted on the more modern places? or do you think that training ground is really needed?

What did you experience?

For me personally, my order of countries is going to depend on money. If I do not have any I will be going to Australia first for the holiday visa but if I do have enough to afford a couple flights before I get there I will be going to South America...though that film has REALLY got me thinking about this topic.
westcoastfunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

Personally I think going from 1st world to 3rd world makes sense for a number of reasons. First, if you are going to be feeling lonely and lost it is better to do so in a place that is roughly at your standards (same amount of crime, access to medical care if needed, clean drinking water etc). Second, unless you are a budgeting maven, you probably will have a tendency to overspend at the beginning so when you are down to the end, it is nice to be able to survive on less money.

I wasn't exactly in the 3rd world (in fact, alot of it was very 1st world) when I was in Montenegro recently but I was able to live on about 25 euros a day EXTREMELY comfortably when I was accustomed to 25 euros being most or all of my hostel. Had I gone there first, I may have really been pinched in Spain for example.

Good topic!

--Joey

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
french touch

Yes, excellent topic !

I have traveled for months at a time, both in developped and developping countries. Since it is your first time bakcpacking, usually you'd need to "learn to backpack" in a more familiar environment, for the same reasons Joey mentioned and so that you can fully enjoy the core of your journey. But in your case, if I understand well, the core is Australia, right ?

So if you can afford other stops, I'd suggest you either choose a central european country such as Poland or Tchez Republich to warm up and go further east or south, or, if you'd rather start right away South America or Asia, choose more westernized and wealthy cities that will ease the transition, for instance Bangkok and Buenos Aires and travel north.

In my opinion, since part of the first weeks are spent getting to know yourself as a backpacker, learning to interact with others, with new cultures, getting oriented, etc. You won't enjoy and understand the culture you are discovering if the material aspects of travelling take all of your attention.

I'm Canadian and went from Australia to Vientiane (Laos)... culture shock ! Which isn't bad in fact, and I'm glad I've experienced it. But this was my second time backpacking though, I knew exactly my limits and what I was into for.

people are people

Last edited by Esterina; 06-19-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
TPunk Moderator

Def agree with Joey and Esther. Western Europe is like fake traveling. Everything is signed in four to six languages, and everyone can speak English, everything is announced in the native language and then English, etc. No challenge at all unless you really really get off the beaten path. I would try to do Western Europe first because once you have traveled outside of that area you might not enjoy it that much. All the crowds and groups being lead around with a stick, jacked up prices and such. I recently had to be lead around with a stick for my university orientation. Brought back memories of all the tour groups. Not pleasant. shudder
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
T-PUNK RANGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by atchoum View Post
But in your case, if I understand well, the core is Australia, right ?

Actually I am doing an extended RTW. I want to hit Australia and UK before I am 30 so that I can take advantage of the working holiday visa for the experience of working in other cultures and also to top up my funds. I will be 28 in a couple months so I have to get going, if I can not save enough for South America before I leave I will have to go to Australia first.

My plan is looking thus far like South America, Australia, Africa, Europe, with Asia fitting in their somewhere, and if miraculously I come across a lot more money for airfare I'd like to experience greenland, antarctica, etc...I really want to go everywhere. I am in Canada, I would like to travel North America first but I just can not afford it unfortunately.

Great replies everyone, I love hearing your opinions on this all
westcoastfunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

Yeah I think its best to cut your teeth on Europe or Austrailia. You may feel overwhelmed by starting out someplace more exotic and end up not enjoying yourself.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
always trippin'

I too started out with something a little more familiar and close to home - which in my case happened to be the jungles of Borneo. So yeah, it might be nice to start with something quasi-familiar to ease yourself into the swing of things.

However, I don't think that traveling in less developed areas takes the fun out of "fake backpacking" in places like western Europe - I only recently got to western Europe after gallivanting around a lot of Central America and Asia, and I still had a blast there (it's actually fun to get there and have a relaxing, "easy" trip after experiencing the rest!).

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
french touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastfunky View Post
Another person in the film said that at first you are like WOW a Waterfall, and then you're like "oh another waterfall".

So it seems like the beginning is really an amazing time, is it wasted on the more modern places? or do you think that training ground is really needed?
Have a look at this thread, for a very realistic point of view on traveling. It points out all the small and big aspects that eat out energy and good mood on the road. But you know what? We still love the lifestyle anyway !

people are people

Esterina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
Artist of Life

Definitly, I think going more familar Western style places at first is a little better than going to 3rd world right away.

First, you'll develop the basic backpacking skills in Europe/AUS or wherever - which present a relatively 'safe' environment to do so.

Second, if you see the third world first, if you ever to to Europe/AUS/North America, it'll seem a little tamer. Cuz the third world is quite a trip.

Third... going to the third world generally needs more backpakcing experience than a first timer.

But then again, I'm sure its do-able. But i would go do Europe first. it's also more fun.
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Members

Send a message via Yahoo to rugbymomo11
Thumbs up

great topic as well.

i have been travelling for about 8-9 years now to different parts of the world and picking 1st over 3rd or vice versa is really up to you. i love the challenge of hitting thr ground and then finding my transport and lodging as i almost never make prior arrangements unless i have to go on business. for fun i just wing it when i get there and usually end up finding something that is great. i have met locals who have taken me in and offered me rides with no hassles.

traveling is simple in my book. it has to do with your personality as well. you need to be laid back and easy going when you leave your country because everyone has their own culture you need to respect. you just roll with it and what ever happens happens.

i always pack light as well. there are many cheap outlets to buy clothes when you travel that to carry it all with you is a waste because you find you do not need half the stuff you brought. you might get tired of wearing the same things but think of it this way. the people you are meeting are only seeing it for the first time. when you are tired of it, trade it to someone else for somthing they are tired of. use the local markets in 3rd world countries to restock your travel gear. it is all pennies on the dollar.

eat the local food as much as you can to save on expenses but always buy bottled water. that is the only thing i splurge on. try to get to know the people who live where you are staying. sure it is fun to swap stories with other travelers but to get the best experience meet the locals who then can help you find the really memorable stuff about that area. they know the small areas that no one else does.

meet some local business owners as well if possible expats are best because if you need to make some quick cash they can help you find some side jobs once in a while. do some clean up work for their businesses, work a bar shift, tudor a local in English. this is an easy job to find buy using the local papers.

there are some items you need to be careful of. you will get dinged an extra 3% by master card every time you use the cash machine in a foreign country. that does not sound like much but it adds up quick. i found out the hard way last year when i totaled it and i had over $700 in foreign transaction fees. that could have paid for a couple airline tickets and some lodging if i could have gotten it back. i cant think of a way around this unless you want to carry alot of cash but that is not safe either. the one option would be to have someone back home western union the money to you when you go from country to country.

traveling is about the experience so just head on your way and dont worry about all the particulars. if you are flexible and a little resourceful and street smart you will do just fine. bring your cell phone with and make sure it is an unlocked GSM phone. buy local sim cards where you are at and then your family can call you and you dont have to pay. you can text back to them for about 5 cents per text. it also allows you to text your local friends in your visitng country to meet up and get info.

dont worry about getting your feet wet in one place or the other. just go for it and enjoy. you are not trying to launch a rocket, you are going to see the world. enjoy the moment and just go for it. hit South America and then head to the land of OZ. make sure you spend a few months in Asia on your way to africa as well. you will find it the most rewarding and interesting.

one final thing. be prepared for the fact that they dont do it like they do back home and you will find that alot things just arent quite right. that can either better your trip or frustrate you. get past that and everything else is a cakewalk.

Hope this helped
rugbymomo11 is offline   Reply With Quote