question for seasoned travelers - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #1

Default question for seasoned travelers

I love to travel, like I'm sure everyone here does. I love to experience the culture, meet new people, and just be in nature, totally alone, able to completely be myself . Because of this, I want my future to involve traveling.

Everyone always asks me, though, what about having a family? Or they tell me that it is not realistic. More often than not, I'm 'reassured' that this is just an adolescent urge, and eventually, i WILL want the white picked fence that i dread more than anything. It's not a rebellious trait or anything, i just can never see myself happy with such a restricting lifestyle. I'm sure, though, that eventually a family will be a road I can take later in life, but without giving up the things I love.

Anyways, I'm just wondering if the seasoned travelers on this board who have followed their want to experience life lost it along the way? I mean was it just youthful thinking, or are you going strong toward your next adventure? It sounds like a silly question, but sometimes i worry that, yeah, I will get caught up in the life that most people have for the very reason that barely anyone with a job and steady income has the time to appreciate everything around them. Thanks!!
Rachel=) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
Artist of Life

Welcome to the boards Rachel!

But I think your worries are largely theoretical. Many of us here on the boards find time to backpack AND have a career and stable lives. There's no reason why you can't have both and everyone finds their own balance somehow.

Perhaps some people lose their way in the jungle, but in the journey of life, you can lose your way sitting in your cubicle as much as while in some mountain cavern in Tibet. I would even argue that someone is less likely to lose their way after they finally took a risk and did something that they always wanted to do -- isn't this what travel is about more than actually seeing something?

I could go on and on about this topic, but I get the sense that you have already answered your own question

CB
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
lover of Germany

Welcome! As CB said many people on the board have families and careers and still find time to backpack and travel its mostly making the most out of your vacation time. I am sure you will find good advice

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Hola! Heres my thoughts... For 5 yrs, my ex wife and I traveled in and out of Europe, as much as the career would allow us... The ex decided that she was done with traveling and wanted the white picket fence and kids etc... After 10 yrs of marriage, I decided that I still didnt want that and that travel was my life... I left for Central America and lived in Nicaragua for 8 months and then gave Honduras a shot and am now living and traveling in Guatemala... I have no regrets... Other than losing my wife... We are lucky and have remained friends, but thats another story...
I really feel that backpacking and travel are sort of a lifestyle... It can come and go in importance, but for people like me, its my only purpose in life... After all these years backpacking and meeting backpackers in there 60s and 70s still doing it, it inspires me that I will always be this type of person...
As with life, who the fuck really knows, but if you feel the way to feel now, just role with it and enjoy!!!!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #5

Thanks for the responses and the welcomes! I'm glad to hear that, though. And yeah I guess i sort of do answer my own question. It makes me happy, though, to know that you guys are still doing what you love and others do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Bacon View Post
I would even argue that someone is less likely to lose their way after they finally took a risk and did something that they always wanted to do -- isn't this what travel is about more than actually seeing something?
That's an awesome way to put it because backpacking really is all about that. That's one of those things that is never said but is so true (at least that i've heard).

I think I really just need to stop planning and just go with the flow like you guys are saying
Old 01-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #6
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc873 View Post
After 10 yrs of marriage, I decided that I still didnt want that and that travel was my life... I left for Central America and lived in Nicaragua for 8 months and then gave Honduras a shot and am now living and traveling in Guatemala... I have no regrets... Other than losing my wife... We are lucky and have remained friends, but thats another story...
Wow bro didn't know this was the story. I'm glad you made a decision you are happy with. From the looks of your FB pics and updates, you ain't doing so bad!
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

Old 01-09-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel=) View Post
I think I really just need to stop planning and just go with the flow like you guys are saying
The only planning I do is I plan to surf and the waves do the rest
(...This is metaphorical I have never actually served before and am pretty horrible at waterskiing too)

Whenever I need such encouragement I just read some quotations on carpe diem: Carpe Diem Quotes, Seize the Day Sayings, Life is Short Quotations

Alright enough of this positive crap. Where's your next trip to?!

Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 AM   #8
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Wow bro didn't know this was the story. I'm glad you made a decision you are happy with. From the looks of your FB pics and updates, you ain't doing so bad!
Wow J, I thought everyone knew that... Thanks for the compliment! Yes indeed, Im not doing bad at all... Actually Im probably doing the best ever!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #9

Rachel,

Really good post! I have been dealing with this same question/dilema over the past few years.

I traveled a good bit after college and through out my career. I am pretty blessed that I have been able to sneak in almost 30 countries. But I also got

caught up in the corporate world for the past 10 years which didnt allow me to travel for longer than periods of 1 week or 10 days at most!

This really held me back and everyday I sat at my desk dreaming of the day that I could go away for 2,4,6 months or even a few years.

I just recently quit my job and as I call it "Escape'd That Cube". My wife and I are currently traveling in Latin America for 6 months trying to explore

what we really want out of life. I never lost the travel bug and always want to see and experience more. We want kids and will try in the future, but right

now its about seeing the world, meeting great people and figuring out if we want to live in Latin America.

I think the travel bug is something inside you. And most likely you will always have it. Luckily in todays world with the internet you can travel and still

keep a job if you have a skill that you can do online.

One thing I can say is that planning is good. We had this dream for a long time and started working on ways to accomplish traveling without spending all of our savings.

I recommend two types of planning. The obvious planning which is where you want to go, how much it will cost and things you want to do.

The other more important planning would be:

1. Have a skill that allows you to working while you travel:
What I mean by this is maybe you have a skill that can be done on the internet. Learn how to build websites, internet marketing, graphic design. Something

that allows you to work while you travel. Maybe it is helping local companies in the towns you visit with thier websites and marketing plans. This provides a great balance between traveling and earning an income that will allow you to continue traveing.

2. Build passive income: Start a travel website that provides people with advice, have other websites that teach people how to do things or what me and my wife did was purchase investment property that we rent for a profit(obviously this is tough if you just graduated or do not have savings or live in a State that has a good rental marketing)

3. Have options down the road: Build relationships with as many people where you live so that when you return from traveling you can reach out and find a job

4. Start saving now!

My wife and I are both working 2-3 days per week and it is working out great.

All the best, and I am looking forward to hearing about all your travel stories.

Jason
EscapeThatCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Where's your next trip to?!
Right now I'm actually in Shanghai for a month, but i'm not doing as much outdoorsy stuff as i'd like. Learning the language is great though, and the people are absolutely fantastic.

But thanks for all the great information guys! EscapeThatCube, I like what you said too because money does play a big factor in traveling. I always hear about people that have skills like massage or other hands on type of things that they travel with, but an computer skill is a great idea too!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Hey Rachel! Just thought I would mention that Massage is how I survive on the road.. Even in Central America, Im able to work and bring in income....
Old 03-07-2011, 04:36 AM   #12

Hi Rachel,

Some wonderful questions about life.

Travel lust comes to some and not to others. But there is a time when it attacks alot of people. It would be a good idea to go out there and find out for yourself how you feel about wanting to travel, to see how you discover a part of you and that world out there and if you ever want a "proper" stable life forever. And yes you can always find time for the rest of the things like work and starting a family later.

I couldn't imagine how you would be able to travel up and down mountains with a 3 month old or go into the jungle with your 12 month old. Maybe there are people who have accomplished this, not something i would like to do.

I would want to have the complete freedom to go where i want and when i want. Whilst i don't mind a partner in tow i couldn't have any more responsibilities than that!

Happy travels!
haraamzadaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

It's so easy to live this lifestyle. Do you know how many people think I'm crazy or that the way I live my life is because I'm just "lucky" . Bullshit! I have designed my life this way. In plain english , I want to have fun in my life! Not chained down to a desk with only two weeks off. Nooooo way. In the last 10 years I think I have only worked two full years. Meaning that I usually only work six months and then chill and travel for the rest of the time. Working Visas are another savior of mine. They give you a chance to see another culture while making money. I'm 28 now and although I am in a mini settlement period ( signed a lease on a place til the fall, which is a major commitment for me!) at the moment there is no stopping me I will continue being a vagabond till the day I freakin die! G'luck!
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diorama View Post
It's so easy to live this lifestyle. Do you know how many people think I'm crazy or that the way I live my life is because I'm just "lucky" . Bullshit! I have designed my life this way. In plain english , I want to have fun in my life! Not chained down to a desk with only two weeks off. Nooooo way. In the last 10 years I think I have only worked two full years. Meaning that I usually only work six months and then chill and travel for the rest of the time. Working Visas are another savior of mine. They give you a chance to see another culture while making money. I'm 28 now and although I am in a mini settlement period ( signed a lease on a place til the fall, which is a major commitment for me!) at the moment there is no stopping me I will continue being a vagabond till the day I freakin die! G'luck!
Its really good if you live such a life. I am becoming jealous of you. Six months of vacations every year is some thing can't even imagine. You are lucky enjoying your life to fullest.
nhicolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #15

How will you get back and forth to your holiday destination? Your trip will be very different, if you drive than if you are flying. If you are flying to your holiday destination, it will take much shorter than the length of time, your entire holiday.
johnrights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilBill
Cool Took Off Hitchhiking Summer after high School 72

I took off hitchhiking the summer after high school traveling on three different trips around 10,000 miles. A few months earlier on a family holiday to Florida saw the ocean for the first time at Daytona Beach and KNEW absolutely I would not live where I grew up, in Des Moines Iowa. At the moment I'm traveling solo, 57 years old and still feel the same adventurous spirit as I had as a kid reading and looking at National Geographic Magazines and reading European new world explorer biographies.

10+ years after HS of living in Tucson AZ, Florida keys on a sailboat, leaving the States at 22 y.o. traveling, living and working in Europe for 2 years before heading across Asia for another two years going back to school in San Diego, CA finally hooked up with my wife 27 years ago in Seoul Korea, lived in Hong Kong, made enough money to semi-retire at 30y.o. and went to the Philippines buying our first house in 85 intending to have 4 kids and raise a family. Our daughter came soon after but the other 3 never happened. Our daughter spent her one month and 6 month birthdays in Hong Kong and in regards to traveling with kids I use to say, they're like daypacks which grow up to be backpacks and it's easy to travel with kids. Seems like many people prefer creating their own road blocks in life and use their children as excuses not to pursue their dreams and adventures.

Living an adventurous life, raising a family and prospering in your career or business is ALL possible. Good Luck making your own choices in life.
PhilBill is offline   Reply With Quote