Some advice in life needed - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 12-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #1

Default Some advice in life needed

Well I have recently been thinking about my future alot. So hears the deal... I work for an awesome company, where I get to fly around all day. However, even though im doing what I love it still isnt enough. Ive been talking to a good friend of mine who is a Marine Corps recruiter back home. Now when I was in HS I took the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery - for those who arnt Americans, its the test in which you take before enlisting in the military) and I got a pretty high score. Now according to my friend, I have a high enough score to enter the Marine Corps Warrent Officer Flight Training program. This is a program where after basic training you enter as a Warrent Officer and go to flight school to fly helicopters. This is something that very much interestes me. I would be making quite a bit of money, and of corse doing something I love. The down side is, I would be signing the next 8 years of my life away. 8 years in that could make or break the future of places in the world I would like to travel. This is something that has been bugging me alot for the past few weeks. I love what im doing now, but I also love what the military has to offer.

Anyone have any suggestions? People with more life experience then me? Anything else I should take to mind would be great...

BTW, sorry if this doesnt make much sence... Im a little wasted.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:32 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to ChrisP7683 Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisP7683

PM Sent
So Far: Canada, Mexico, Peru, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Ireland, England, Spain, Turkey, Krgystan, Qatar, Afghanistan, Bahrain, UAE, Kuwait, Jordan, Iraq, Thailand, Slovenia, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Hungary

Next: Oman, Bolivia, Columbia

ChrisP7683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:26 AM   #3
The " ... " queen of TP!

What is it about what you do now that isn't enough for you? Perhaps by knowing what you're missing we can help you decide whether the marines would be worth it for you or not...

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #4

Do Not Join The Military!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Places visited: 38 states in North America including Hawaii. Mexico, Guam, Ireland, Wales, England, Germany,Poland, Netherlands, Luxembourg, France, Belgium, China, Hong Kong, Macau and...
DharmaBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:20 AM   #5
Rabidly Xenophilic

The 8 years assumes you continue to do well in the flight training program, right? I knew someone in high school that signed up for 12 years in the Air Force, but this was to learn to fly fighter jets. She told me the contract was set up to where if she washed out of the program at some point she wouldn't be stuck for that huge length of time doing something else. Maybe it's the same for marine helicopter pilots?
Old 12-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

I'm in the military now, and let me just say it isn't for everyone.

I think folks who join the military to "travel" are crazy because a lot of times it doesn't happen. Sure you hear great stories (usually from Navy guys) but in general, you don't become some world traveler through the military - a lot of abroad posts you work your ass off and also have certain travel restrictions because you're an American in the military.

There are a few military TPunks roaming around here, most of us also been overseas, so please if you have any questions, PM me any time or someone else.

One thing I can say - joining the military is a decision you must think about and get all sorts of perspectives. It changes your life and affects everyone differently, so get more than one opinion cos what works for one person doesn't always work for everyone.

That's my 2 cents.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:51 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post
I'm in the military now, and let me just say it isn't for everyone.

I think folks who join the military to "travel" are crazy because a lot of times it doesn't happen. Sure you hear great stories (usually from Navy guys) but in general, you don't become some world traveler through the military - a lot of abroad posts you work your ass off and also have certain travel restrictions because you're an American in the military.

There are a few military TPunks roaming around here, most of us also been overseas, so please if you have any questions, PM me any time or someone else.

One thing I can say - joining the military is a decision you must think about and get all sorts of perspectives. It changes your life and affects everyone differently, so get more than one opinion cos what works for one person doesn't always work for everyone.

That's my 2 cents.
Thanks pinknic38, I'll be asking around to get a better idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_angelic
What is it about what you do now that isn't enough for you? Perhaps by knowing what you're missing we can help you decide whether the marines would be worth it for you or not...
I dont have enough pilot in command time to be a pilot for my company. So im a crew chief, I just sit around. I want to be the one flying the planes
Old 12-11-2008, 02:10 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

I guess a couple questions are in order. One, while you're being crew chief, are you "building up hours of flight time" to eventually qualify as a pilot with that company? If no, then you are there (in a cool place very few get to see, mind you) strictly as a traveler. Nothing wrong with that, but I see your frustration in not advancing towards one of your goals.

Also, can you talk to the company officials to see if there is a flight training program you can go through (in the states or wherever) that would qualify you? Would they give you a leave of absence to attend that school, get qualified, then come back as a pilot or copilot? To me, that would be the ideal solution.

That said, if they aren't willing to work with you like that, there are other options to get flight training besides the military. As you may know, I work for an airline as ground crew, and have worked alongside many that wanted to work their way up into the cockpit. In fact, one person I know was laid off when our station downsized, then three years later, reappeared as a copilot on a regional jet. She had zero flight training while she was working at the airport. So, somehow, in less than three years, she went through training, built up her hours, and got hired on by one of the commuter airlines.

So, you can do it in ways besides the military. That said, I served 6 years in the Army Reserve (public affairs), so I'm not going to say "Don't join." However, I would say that if the only reason you're doing it is for the flight training, look into other avenues first. Granted, the military PAYS you to get your training, instead of vice versa. I don't know how funds are with you, but that could quite likely be a concern.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? That could also have a bearing on our answers...

Feel free to PM, reply, or ask any other questions. We realize this is a huge life decision your wrestling with, so your fellow Tpunkers are here to help...!

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
I guess a couple questions are in order. One, while you're being crew chief, are you "building up hours of flight time" to eventually qualify as a pilot with that company? If no, then you are there (in a cool place very few get to see, mind you) strictly as a traveler. Nothing wrong with that, but I see your frustration in not advancing towards one of your goals.

Also, can you talk to the company officials to see if there is a flight training program you can go through (in the states or wherever) that would qualify you? Would they give you a leave of absence to attend that school, get qualified, then come back as a pilot or copilot? To me, that would be the ideal solution.

That said, if they aren't willing to work with you like that, there are other options to get flight training besides the military. As you may know, I work for an airline as ground crew, and have worked alongside many that wanted to work their way up into the cockpit. In fact, one person I know was laid off when our station downsized, then three years later, reappeared as a copilot on a regional jet. She had zero flight training while she was working at the airport. So, somehow, in less than three years, she went through training, built up her hours, and got hired on by one of the commuter airlines.

So, you can do it in ways besides the military. That said, I served 6 years in the Army Reserve (public affairs), so I'm not going to say "Don't join." However, I would say that if the only reason you're doing it is for the flight training, look into other avenues first. Granted, the military PAYS you to get your training, instead of vice versa. I don't know how funds are with you, but that could quite likely be a concern.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? That could also have a bearing on our answers...

Feel free to PM, reply, or ask any other questions. We realize this is a huge life decision your wrestling with, so your fellow Tpunkers are here to help...!

worldwidemike
Thanks woldwidemike,

The current possion im in does no give me useable flight hours to move up. I didnt think to ask Airserv if they support a training program. So I will talk to them when I can about that, because I really like that idea.

Im 21, and blown most my money on my private pilots training, instrument rateing and multi engine. So funding is a problem.

Thanks again guys and gals
Old 12-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Some considerations to make before enlisting as well - You MUST have flight training in your contract (in WRITING) in order to actually be guaranteed flight training.

Assuming that, you should also (though maybe they waive it) have to take the FAST (Flight Aptitude Skills Test) and achieve an adequate score to be accepted into flight training.

Last, but not least, if you wash out of the flight program, through no fault of the service, you are still obligated to fulfill the remainder of your contract in the service.

I've been military for quite some time now, and I can tell you that joining the military can make or break you. I've seen decent kids turned into dirtbags after a stint in the military, and I've seen guys that were spiraling into the crapper turn their lives around by joining the military. It's a job you can't quit, and your boss has a much greater control over your day to day life. A bad boss can make you positively miserable, and you can't get away...

I joined the military to avoid that tight spiral into the crapper, myself. It was probably the best decision I made in my life. I can't recommend it to everyone, though...

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:53 PM   #11
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monsignor View Post
Last, but not least, if you wash out of the flight program, through no fault of the service, you are still obligated to fulfill the remainder of your contract in the service.
Amen to everything Will said, esp the above statement... if you wash out of flight training, it isn't like "oh well I'll pick another job", it's needs of the army, baby... aka you will likely be a truck driver or an 11 bang-bang (infantry). not to be the Debbie Downer, but I wish someone would have laid it out to me straight when I joined so I would have known what to expect.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monsignor View Post
Some considerations to make before enlisting as well - You MUST have flight training in your contract (in WRITING) in order to actually be guaranteed flight training.

Assuming that, you should also (though maybe they waive it) have to take the FAST (Flight Aptitude Skills Test) and achieve an adequate score to be accepted into flight training.

I've been military for quite some time now, and I can tell you that joining the military can make or break you. I've seen decent kids turned into dirtbags after a stint in the military, and I've seen guys that were spiraling into the crapper turn their lives around by joining the military. It's a job you can't quit, and your boss has a much greater control over your day to day life. A bad boss can make you positively miserable, and you can't get away...

I joined the military to avoid that tight spiral into the crapper, myself. It was probably the best decision I made in my life. I can't recommend it to everyone, though...
Thanks my bru. I really appreciate your input on this matter.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #13

BTW,

from reading your profile, your are EOD? I was intersted in that too. How do you liek it?
Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to micdans

Did you make any decisions in the past month? I would be interested to hear.

I'm in a similar situation. Just finished undergrad and am looking to do something. Jobs aren't great in the states and having 3x,xxx dollars in student loans, the military entices me.
I took the ASVAB practice at a recruiting office near home and aced it. I spoke with the head guy there for a while and could see myself joining (ARMY, btw). But am still hesitant
I would be interested in joining for several reasons:
Financial - dang, it seems too good to be true, and money for more schooling!
Travel - is there a possibility I could get stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany?
New Challenges - I've been an endurance runner for the past 10 years, I'm ready for something else.
Job - Could be a good job, it would depend if I Enlisted or was an Officer, too.

But it could be scary, too. I dunno. Any thoughts from those who have experienced military life?
micdans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #15

Yeah, I actually took the ASVAB last week for the Army. I got a high enough score to to what I want. Im also shopping with the USMC.... who knows, I will know more when I get back home and discuss it further with my recruiters.

I will keep ya'll posted
Old 01-14-2009, 07:23 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhine View Post
BTW,

from reading your profile, your are EOD? I was intersted in that too. How do you liek it?
Sorry that I missed the earlier post...

For me, I regret not going EOD from the beginning. It's good and bad in many ways, but there's absolutely no question that it's challenging.

Be prepared to get in over your head - You have to be flexible, adaptable and always be learning.

The downfall to EOD (other than disarming bombs - the part I like and that you have to volunteer for) is that on active duty, those guys are always on the go - you are overworked, underpaid and they expect more from you. You deploy, run your ass off from incident to incident for a year or more. Then you return to home - either to be transferred into another deploying unit within a few months or to be running stateside missions (VIP support to the State Department and US Secret Service).

There aren't enough of us to go around, and it's not an error-tolerant profession.

The job exists in all four services, with the Air Force having the lightest workload (allegedly) and the Navy guys having the additional bonus of having to be dive-qualified (a hugely physically demanding school) and Special Operations (meaning they abuse you even more) in addition to having to go through the same school as the other services (+- 36 weeks if you do it perfectly, but it only has a 40% pass rate for the school)

I'm a single dad, with two kids. I'm in the National Guard, and I'm looking at leaving for a year, coming home for a few months and deploying again...

If you want to know more - feel free to PM me, I'll be glad to tell you my experiences...

Old 01-15-2009, 09:23 AM   #17

Send a message via AIM to wakingside

I was a Machinist Mate 3rd Class in the Navy. I kicked the shit of the asvab, scored a 96, and went into the nuclear power program. To sum it up in a couple sentences, it was a life I couldn't live. I wasn't ready for it and didn't want it. I made it through the a-school portion after basic, they gave nukes E-3 when enlisting and E-4 upon completion of your rate's a-school. After a-school I was very depressed which was enough for them to take me out of the nuclear power program. I went to a conventional ship and it was only another couple months there before they discharged me, I received a general discharge at the convenience of the government for some personal issues that I and the Navy had with each other. Unless you are ready to live a military life it's going to be hell.

Now I work at an organic cranberry farm and I love my life more than ever, relaxing work during the summer and the winters I am laid off to go travel on my own. I personally wouldn't ever recommend the military but, it really comes down to what you want.
wakingside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 06:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by micdans View Post
Did you make any decisions in the past month? I would be interested to hear.

I'm in a similar situation. Just finished undergrad and am looking to do something. Jobs aren't great in the states and having 3x,xxx dollars in student loans, the military entices me.
I took the ASVAB practice at a recruiting office near home and aced it. I spoke with the head guy there for a while and could see myself joining (ARMY, btw). But am still hesitant
I would be interested in joining for several reasons:
Financial - dang, it seems too good to be true, and money for more schooling!
Travel - is there a possibility I could get stationed in Wiesbaden, Germany?
New Challenges - I've been an endurance runner for the past 10 years, I'm ready for something else.
Job - Could be a good job, it would depend if I Enlisted or was an Officer, too.

But it could be scary, too. I dunno. Any thoughts from those who have experienced military life?
The money is always an incentive (for mid-career EOD guys like me, the reenlistment pays up to $160K - but remember, the higher the bonus, the more reasons there are for them having to pay it! They don't pay big bonuses when people are fighting to get the job!)

Whatever job you choose, or location you go to, your first stop after basic and AIT is war - learn it, know it, live it; become one with that fact.

If your job is in high demand, like EOD, you will come back from the war to transfer to another unit that's going to war...

You can get Wiesbaden, and if that's what you want, you can elect to join for that duty station - guarantees your stuff will be located in Germany while you're elsewhere, and it stabilizes you for a period of time after you return (I think it's a two-year tour) - in order to pick that, you'll have to go for the jobs that they have available in that location (you'll get a list of what you're qualified for and you get to pick from that)

The Army (and the others, as well) have some benefits, assuming that you can handle the life - as noted above, you lose quite a bit of personal freedom, but you gain a pretty clear-cut set of rules and boundaries on how everything works.

As a new enlistee (assuming you don't go the officer option), you won't make much money, so if you have debt other than your student loans, it could become an issue for you. When you're single, you live in the barracks, no option. You're paid salary, which means 40 hour workweeks are a thing of the past. There's a month off per year, and quite a decent set of benefits, including space-A flights (if you learn to work the system), school money, etc.

If you stick around, the pay gets good, the opportunities improve and the restrictions don't chafe as much. An officer starts out with more pay and responsibility, and that's the way to go if you can go that route.

As for the rest - check the programs with the recruiter, but a bonus (which is taxed) to pay off your debt and more school money (which has gotten even better the last year) and automatic in-state tuition wherever you're at are a huge draw.

You can't get fired, short of something criminal, but the problem is that you may well wind up stuck working for someone who is just short of criminally stupid!

If you're physically fit, you have a huge head start - fitness is one of the ways they judge your potential right off the bat, and (unfairly) decide you're ready for promotion early.

There are challenges galore, and depending on which way you think you want to go, I can give you some advice from my own 19 years experience...

Again - I'm not recruiting - what works for me isn't necessarily the right thing for anyone else, and if you have trouble living under strict rules and (sometimes) oppressive supervision, don't go...

Old 08-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #19

You should listen to Rob Riggle on Marc Maron's podcast. He had similar issues. wtfpod.libsyn.com/webpage/episode-194-rob-riggle
Hotsaucerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 06:25 AM   #20

Send a message via Yahoo to PhilBill
Cool Different Strokes for Different Folks Applies

My blue collar working class parents tried their best to direct me to the military but following orders and signing my life away for a number of years and supporting the USA foreign policy were DEFINITELY NOT for me; I'd rather do prison time. As far as pilot training or future salaries of that career you need to talk to a dozen real life and experienced pilots who may likely tell you a completely different story about how corporate employers have changed their profession.

My advice is: think through what you KNOW you do NOT like in terms of livelihood and profession which is far easier than knowing what you like to do in life. I came up with the following themes or choices for my life years ago; ADVENTURE, LEARNING and Poverty Sucks. living anywhere in the world for anyone comes down to only three reasons,
1 ) friends and family
2 ) Weather or Geography
3 ) Financial / Career opportunities
and rarely does anyone score a 10 in more than 2 out of the 3 categories
PhilBill is offline   Reply With Quote