peaK oiL anD yoU! - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 05-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to ride_natty_ride Send a message via Yahoo to ride_natty_ride
Default peaK oiL anD yoU!

i didn't know where else to post this, so... here it is, and i don't mean to be a bringer-of-doom-and-gloom, but i WOULD like to get some responses on this issue... open up some kind of dialogue with some fellow travel-lovers, because this is an issue that has been on my heart and mind for a good 4 years or so now, but now, the media, mainstream and otherwise (although the 'independent' publications generally have much better, more thoroughly researched and more comprehensively honest articles, by far!) are starting to wake up to the phenomenon. and it continues to freak me out, to make me want to mourn out of some egotistical sense of 'ohhh woe is meee, i've just wanted to travveellll for the whole of my life' - but then i take a deep breath, and my heart stirs, and goes back to its (appropriate) mourning for the fate of Humanity itself, and that is where it should be...

now, i know that there are people from all political bents here, all forms of spirituality (and lack thereof), people who feel any number of things in regards to the actions of the human species (esp. as of late). however, somethin' tells me that the vast majority of us on here have, in some way or another, stumbled upon some... higher form of thinking, or at the very least, are much more OPEN to events, people, occurrences, and even on into the validity of spiritual/cultural beliefs of both our own culture and others - all of this often as a result of our traveling (or perhaps our travels are more of a reflection of these mindsets already implanted? who knows, perhaps it is simply concentric). as such, we are more globally-minded than the average neighbour down the street who obsesses about the false green of his perfectly manicured lawn. we KNOW, man... that this is only the mattrrixxx (or something).

however, fellow-travelers still have any number of opinions and thoughts (all good and intelligent, i am sure) - what are yours on the phenomena that is 'peak oil'? from a personal perspective, from a 'NO WAY, MAN, GO THE F&$* AWAY AND HUG A TREE!!', to just about... anything. let's hear it

namaste, blessed b,
~ melissA
ride_natty_ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

Yeah here's my question about all this oil craziness.

Has anyone stopped to think why the oil is down there in the first place? That maybe it actually has a purpose to fulfill in the ground? Is that a crazy idea? It's been nagging at me for years.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:24 PM   #3
Tpunk Senior Moderators

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJake View Post
Yeah here's my question about all this oil craziness.

Has anyone stopped to think why the oil is down there in the first place? That maybe it actually has a purpose to fulfill in the ground? Is that a crazy idea? It's been nagging at me for years.

I like that thought Jake!! Kinda like the "blood" of the planet maybe??? Or atleast something along that line!!!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Peak oil should be the big slap in the face the human race needs. Our global economies require infinite growth to succeed which is impossible and we're at the stage where that's painfully obvious but we do nothing to stop it.

We encourage waste, I can buy food imported from south America cheaper than I can buy food from Europe. It didn't take less resources to get the south American food onto my plate, it used vastly more resources. We've made massive waste the best way to do business.

I've always smirked at conspiracy theories but it really does look like a select few are squeezing the last drops of life out of society before it goes belly up and leaves the rest of us dying of starvation.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Dig
TPunk Moderator

Big oil sucks, but what are you gonna do?? Hopefully this is a big kick in the pants for a lot of people. I hope this opens people's eyes. Then again I am guilty every time I step onto a plane or hop into a car. Baby steps...
Old 06-09-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
TPunk Emeritus

The idea of peak oil and the fact that we may run out of a steady supply before we are able to alter our infrastructure to accomodate any changes is a much more serious issue than global warming in my opinion. It requires us to adopt two seemingly opposing policies - putting tons of funding into research of alternative technologies, but in teh meantime conducting our foreign policy in a way that secures us plenty of cheap oil in the meantime until better technology is found.
Somnambulation is offline   Reply With Quote