Skype - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-06-2004, 04:08 PM   #1
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs
Thumbs up

Anybody ever used Skype? What did you think of it? Any other good FREE programs to make international phone calls through the internet? (phone bills :greenguy: )

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 05:08 AM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Haven't used Skype, but at home I have switched to Lingo which is internet based and has great CHEAP (but not free) calling plans if you have highspeed interet at home. I have been very happy with it. I have a few friends around the world (outside Western Europe - see below) and international calling ranges from 3 cents to about 15 cents a minute which is pretty good. Call quality is decent too. Plus, I get 500 minutes of anytime calls to anywhere in the the U.S., Canada and Western Europe as part of my $15.99 per month fee. I highly recommend it - its a much better deal than using landline phone companies at this point.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 08:04 AM   #3
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Yahoo to Bgirl

Once my cousin asked me to install Skype in my computer... I did it but I never tried...After some days a guy was sending me messages and inviting me to use Skype. We started to talk and after a week we met at the University I work... He was installing the softwares for the congress I was participating. I recognized him because he sent me some pics... i got soooo shy but nowadays we're good friends. This is one of the reasons I love internet so much!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:52 AM   #4
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

Yea, I'm just trying to find an easy way to have a verbal conversation over the internet, and free if possible!

Old 11-26-2004, 12:51 AM   #5
TPunk Recognized

I'm in Geneva and I've been using it for a month. Its pretty good, if you have a reliable connection it shouldn't be a problem, and the rates are dirt cheap.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:44 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

if you just call each other and you both have skype it's free i think, i want to get a bluetooth headset.
butterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 06:47 AM   #7
***** gear guru

Yea, I think I am going to start using it! It seems like its a good enoguh deal and such. I'll try it out at least. If I keep using phone cards I'll be broker than broke.

Old 01-30-2006, 07:23 PM   #8
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to benna2 Send a message via MSN to benna2 Send a message via Yahoo to benna2

This is really rehashing an old post....BUT. I installed skype in my computer last night.
It's great. I don't know anyone else who has it though, but I was able to talk to my mom and my cousin for 20 minutes each and it cost like, under a dollar.
Very convenient for being in the Dominican and being able to stay in touch with people back home.

Come visit me in the DR!
www.sosuavacationrentals.com
benna2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:45 PM   #9
***** gear guru

Quote:
Originally posted by benna2@Jan 30 2006, 07:23 PM
This is really rehashing an old post....BUT. I installed skype in my computer last night.
It's great. I don't know anyone else who has it though, but I was able to talk to my mom and my cousin for 20 minutes each and it cost like, under a dollar.
Very convenient for being in the Dominican and being able to stay in touch with people back home.*
[snapback]100656[/snapback]
Skype worked well for me in Belize, as did using AIM with people online when we both had a microphone!

Old 01-31-2006, 03:19 AM   #10
Members

Send a message via AIM to berwin Send a message via MSN to berwin

For me, I just use MSN.....all the way baby. I've been here in Holland for about 5 and a half month's. Thursday I'm half way threw my exchange . Anways, I just used MSN with webcam and audio. Work's great 99% of the time, that's how i've been talkin to my family and everyone back home. All you need is a microphone if you just want to talk, but you can also get a webcam to see eachother. It's free and they get to see you, and you get to see them if they have a webcam too, and talk to eachother for however long you want.

believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, unless it agrees with your own reason, and your own common sense</span>

my life, my love, my world (the ramblings of a young traveler)

<span style=\'color:red\'>what would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?
berwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:15 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Thumbs up

How is Skype different than any regular IM program with voice? Can you actually talk on your phone, or what?
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:41 AM   #12
TPunk Recognized

Is Skype something you can use at internet cafe's or hostels...considering you bring your own microphone?

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Sabrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:42 AM   #13
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

^ You can. You can use it as a free service like any messenger service, but you can also get phone numbers so people can call you from their regular phone. You can get them in different area codes so people don't have to call long distance. They also have a phone now, so when people dial you you can talk on it like a regular phone. Pretty cool. I love Skype. Great for communicating with our fam in Germany.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 06:49 AM   #14
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiepeaski@Jan 31 2006, 09:42 AM
^ You can. You can use it as a free service like any messenger service, but you can also get phone numbers so people can call you from their regular phone.
[snapback]100716[/snapback]
I've never been to an internet cafe (I know... ...I've just always used my own puter). I won't be taking my laptop with me to travel...so I'm just curious. How does the IM work on those remote computers? Do they all have the different IM's operating? With Skype...do you make the call through the website and charge to an account? Being on the road and not really staying in one place for very long....I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around all this.

The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 01-31-2006, 08:05 AM   #15

I use skype every single night to talk to my gf back in Calgary. It has a higher voice quality than msn or yahoo, and is actually better quality than the cheap long distance carriers with a regular phone. One problem I've found is the signal does break up occasionally, but that could be due to the crappy wireless connection i've been wrestling with. Skype does have webcam connection too, so thats cool.

For cafe's and any other computer that isn't yours...most would have skype installed, but now and then if you run into a comp that doesn't, and you don't have installation rights on the computer, there are browser based voips out there.
O-Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:31 AM   #16
TPunk Recognized

Quote:
Originally posted by O-Face@Jan 31 2006, 11:05 AM
For cafe's and any other computer that isn't yours...most would have skype installed, but now and then if you run into a comp that doesn't, and you don't have installation rights on the computer, there are browser based voips out there.
[snapback]100723[/snapback]
Uhhh, I have a good idea...but, what exactly is a "voip"? <------------me . Any suggestions on a good browser based "voips"?

Old 01-31-2006, 08:33 AM   #17
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Quote:
Originally posted by O-Face@Jan 31 2006, 11:05 AM
I use skype every single night to talk to my gf back in Calgary. It has a higher voice quality than msn or yahoo, and is actually better quality than the cheap long distance carriers with a regular phone. One problem I've found is the signal does break up occasionally, but that could be due to the crappy wireless connection i've been wrestling with. Skype does have webcam connection too, so thats cool.

[snapback]100723[/snapback]
I have not used it myself but am on the recieving end all the time. My buddy is over in Iraq and he uses it to call me at work or on my cell phone all the time. It is usually really good but as O-Face said it can break up now and then. I notice if he calls me when network traffic at his station over there is high then it will break up. If he calls me when the network is clear or he is not doing anything online, you can't tell the difference.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:32 AM   #18
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

VOIP = voice over IP, pretty much just meaning you're making your calls/communication through the internet rather than a regular phone system.

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:49 AM   #19
Assistant to the Manager

Send a message via MSN to IDDQD

skype is the bomb, i havent used it in a while but I did it worked great, very good sound quality. Brilliant for long distance. It may cut out every now and again but I'll take that over paying!

....And then it's just hilarious
IDDQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:21 AM   #20

Turns out there aren't quite as many browser based phones as I'd expected...my roomates programmed one in java for their final project in engineering last summer and said that it had already been done. I assumed more companies would have jumped on to this by now, but I spose they assume everyone uses skype. Could be some untapped market potential here...

That said, blasterphone.com apparently does have a free browser to browser voip connection-meaning neither computer has to install software to use it...handy when you're using another person's computer or in a cafe etc. Can't say if it's good or not though.

Question for those seasoned in international internet cafes - Do most internet cafes have things like skype, msn, installed? and if not, is it common that the employees will give u admin access to install such programs if required?
O-Face is offline   Reply With Quote