Epiphanies and personality changes - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 06-07-2006, 08:13 AM   #1
Members

Who has experienced this? How did it happen and what changed?
Hollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:14 AM   #2
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

After most peoples first travel I think they all have the same major one, "I have to do this again". It is that first trip that really decides if your going to get the bug or not. I know I got mine after Oz. It just never went away since and I keep thinking of it all the time.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:23 AM   #3
lover of Germany

Yeah, I think you get some kind of epiphany while traveling even if you don't realize it at the time. I guess what I learned was that sometimes you need to take a leap of faith and that I am tougher than I thought. It changed my personality a lot, I have more resolve. Actually after 4 years I just went "back to school" to improve my math score and get a better qualification. I think traveling and facing tough odds gave me that courage.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
Members

Quote:
After most peoples first travel I think they all have the same major one, "I have to do this again". It is that first trip that really decides if your going to get the bug or not. I know I got mine after Oz. It just never went away since and I keep thinking of it all the time.
Hmmmm, interesting answer- part of the reason I asked this question is because I think this site is making me obsessed with travel (I was really into it before but never like this). I’m going to Europe soon for 2 months and all I can think about is where I can go next, where I should work when I get back, how soon I’d be able to take off again, what I’ll enjoy doing when I’m back to my normal life, etc. I just need to relaaaax.

So I try to keep telling myself that not very many people in the world, or throughout history for that matter, get to travel. I have plenty of time and I’m very lucky to have even gotten to go to the places that I have already.

…..Arrrgh, but that’s not really working!!

-I think I’ve just gotta stop going on this site while I’m at work….
Hollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
I have plenty of time and I’m very lucky to have even gotten to go to the places that I have already.
Of course, the opposite way to look at it is, you could die tomorrow and you have seen only a fraction of all the places in the world to see, and met only a fraction of the cool people in the world you could meet and so you better get movin'!!!

Can't allow you to become complacent and rationalize away a perfectly good addiction.............

As to your question, every trip I have taken has opened brain to different ways of thinking and certainly changed my views of both the world and my place in it.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:17 AM   #6
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via AIM to SuDz

Quote:
Originally posted by Hollz@Jun 7 2006, 10:27 AM
…..Arrrgh, but that’s not really working!!
-I think I’ve just gotta stop going on this site while I’m at work….
[snapback]124711[/snapback]
It never really does long term. Once your bit, it lasts for quite a while. Some people on here have been traveling for their whole lives it seems and at the end will probably still have places they wished they could have gone to, or gone back to, or whatever.

The best thing you can do is try to treat it with time hehe.

SuDZ
Rozza > yeah
Rozza > that should be your sig
SuDz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to bluepea

I know what you mean about the needing to relax thing.... GAH!!!! I'm debating China in the late summer, possibly Europe/N. Africa in Spring and then Peace Corps/volunteering overseas late next year. It just never ends and envelopes me and ... I'm so unsettled.

I had an epiphany the first time I saw the ocean. All I could think is "there's something more across there."

Have some general questions such as whether or not to get a rail pass or how much money you'll need? Visit here!

First time travelers/travelers with a lot of questions - this forum is for you![b]
bluepea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #8
T-PUNK VICE ADMIRAL

Send a message via AIM to foofiter Send a message via MSN to foofiter Send a message via Yahoo to foofiter Send a message via Skype™ to foofiter

Big changes for me. I have decided to take a new career path completely, changed my political views to an extent, and of course caught the bug bigtime (just ask these guys here!). So yes it does change you and almost always for the better.

Foo

"Eat healthy, exercise daily, die anyway" -- My motto
"Everyone I know, goes away, in the end...I will let you down, I will make you hurt..." -- Johnny Cash (NIN Cover of "Hurt")

I am traveling around the world until I find something that makes me want to stop. I am an aspiring photographer and hope to find whatever it is I am looking for...
foofiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #9
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to Legitikick Send a message via Skype™ to Legitikick

Travelling has made me much more independent, and social, all at the same time. Not that I wasn't a bit of both before, but its definitely broadened my horizon. I've realized that I can do anything, regardless of the odds, and to rely more on that idea that something good will always come out of whatever I'm doing. And of course the thrid-world countries have made me realize just how lucky I am and what to be thankful for.

I've definitely caught the bug and can't wait to get back to it, and I'm trying to include it in a career, somehow. But the problem with that is that someday I'd like to have a family, and it'll be my priority, so how to balance all that will be tricky. That's where that idea that something good will transpire comes in.
So Far: Peru, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize, Dominican Republic, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Germany, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, England, Iraq, Kuwait, Qatar, UAE, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, India, Nepal, Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Liberia, Sierra Leone, Morocco
Right Now: Grad schoolin' at the Columbia School of Int'l & Public Affairs
Next Up: The real world ... where one has to work, hopefully doing some sort of mediation/conflict resolution gig.
Legitikick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:12 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to LostFarmboy

Hmmm, good question. I guess through travelling i have become a lot more confident, things that used to worry me don't seem to be a problem anymore. Due to this increased confidence I have realised that the world really is my oyster and i can achieve anything i want, dreams really can become a reality if i put some effort in.

Another important thing i have come to learn through travelling is that no matter how bad things get here at home, there are millions of people out there that are a lot worse off than me and i should quit my complaining.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:45 AM   #11
TPunk Emeritus

I agree with what the other folks have said here. I also believe travel makes you more tolerant of people from other cultures. I see folks around here mumble "damn foreignor" under their breath when they encounter a person from another country who doesn't speak the language well. Me, on the other hand, I'm curious where they're from, whether they're traveling or immigrating, what sparked them to come here, and so on.

Being that "damn foreignor" when you're off traveling opens your eyes and makes you appreciate a smile or kind greeting...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:49 AM   #12
BONO'S LOVE SLAVE

I've had many, sooooo many. One I can think of off the top of my head: There is so much more to life and I have so much to see (the epiphany that I was over an ex while looking at the pyramids).

Metro to Ginza shopping district: 160 yen

Watching middle-aged Japanese woman dance to U2: priceless
U2fan is offline   Reply With Quote