Online CC VS Art Institute - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 08-16-2008, 01:05 AM   #1
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake
Default Online CC VS Art Institute

Ok kids,
So I am 24 years old and I was homeschooled through high school, I've often considered going to college but at first I was hesitant because of my homeschooling and the fact that I cheated at math all the time and then later it was the Financial Aid stuff. I told myself when I turned 24 and could get the full amount of aid from the government that I would head back.

So unthinkingly I registered for classes online at the local community college thinking I would do the two years online and then transfer to a university but lord almighty the classes I've registered for are boring as fuck. I am not excited about this choice at all. A much older friend of mine recommended the Art Institute of Phoenix to me being that I am a very creative person. He thinks it would be a perfect fit for me and that I would do very well in any of the programs they have there and get along incredibly well with the other students.

Since we talked about it the idea has been growing on me quite extensively.
Here's my questions.
Anyone been to an Art Institute? What were your impressions?
Is it worth it to rack up the ridiculous amount of student loans?
Can I get money to pay my other debts off and pay for my housing and whatnot? (at 24 I feel like a fair bit of a loser living with my folks and the drive to the art institute would be close to an hour each way)

What are your thoughts about this? (Really any thoughts are great. Just toss them out there)
Also if I am going to go into debt for school and the government will give me money for lodging and whatnot, would now be a good time to think about relocation? Like a different art institute in say Washington?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
TPunk Recognized

I'm in a similar situation trying to decide whether to rake up some student loans and go to art or ad school or just stick to what my Master's program is (i have a scholarship). I graduate in April in Information Systems but to be honest I got into the program because hey it was free. I feel like I made my decisions on school based on what everyone else thought was a good or bad idea, a lucrative or non-lucrative profession. So, I wasted my scholarship for undergrad on business school instead of going to an awesome art school.

And now, nearly 23, I'm thinking let me try and do something for myself but I'm still fighting with the insane amount of student loans I would have to rack up. I'm thinking of Miami Ad School if anyone has any info, experience, etc. I want to go to their San Francisco location since it's considered the best to start out in art direction; but I could go to the Miami location and save a bit on housing expenses since I already live here... They also provide you with industry contacts and internships in your last year so a job is pretty guaranteed after graduation...I also considered film school (my dream really) but in my mind I will only go if I get into one of the top 4 and even then I'm also skeptical because of the difficulty of getting into that industry without contacts (which i don't have of coarse).

So, I've been fighting with these decisions in my head for the last few weeks and when I saw your post Jake, I figured I would throw my problems out there too

We have an Art Institute in Miami and when I was first starting college I considered it. I decided not to go because of everyone's opinion of an art career (stupid but hey I was young). I also hear that they have a horrible career assistance department, but if you can make your own contacts or think you'll fare well in the job market, then this might not be a big thing for ya.
BedtimeontheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:02 AM   #3
The " ... " queen of TP!

I say you should both go for your dreams....Go somewhere that will make you happy. There is nothing worse then going to school and hating it...you wont really learn, you'll resent it.

As for Jake...try looking into scholarships/bursuries. I'm not entirely sure what they'll have to offer you, as most of your schooling was homeschool...but a lot of scholarships have to deal with the involvment you've had in your community as well...have you volunteered at all? It's worth a shot looking into them though....might as well....

Good luck to you both!

If you walk backwards, you'll find out that you can go forward and people won't know if you're coming or going.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
-James Dean

Countries I've Visited: Austria, Botswana, Canada, Costa Rica, Democratic Republic of the Congo, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Italy. Malawi, Mexico, Portugal, Rwanda, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Tanzania, Uganda, USA, UK, Vatican City, Zambia
simply_angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Yoda

Just so you know, credits from Art Institute schools (there is also one here in Seattle) do NOT transfer to most 4-year universities or local community colleges. FYI.

That said, I still think it's a great idea. Except the culinary program, don't do that.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #5
TPunk Moderator

You mentioned in your other post that you might like to have a career in advertising, videography, or write freelance. While I haven't researched these careers, I'd be willing to guess that you can do these with a degree from a state university. If you stick with the CC your credits should transfer to a cheap state university where you can earn a Bachelor's in communications, journalism or english. Yeah some of the classes are boring but its part of college. You have to do basic studies to graduate.

I got the maximum pell grant amount, living with my family, and going to school just five minutes up the street at a pretty good university. Its not that bad. My tuition is paid for free and clear. No loans. I even got a small refund thats paying for a good amount of my textbooks. It does not take 4 years to get a Bachelors if you can go in the summer, it only takes about 3 years. I had some transfer credit from CC classes I took while in HS, so hopefully I will have my degree at this time in two years.

So basically...why pay more when you can pay less and the end result is the same?
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #6
Rabidly Xenophilic

You might find CC classes more interesting if you attend in person, at least then there's a social aspect to break up the monotony. Online courses take a lot of motivation.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #7
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mooloo

^^ i agree with trying to do at least some of your papers 'in class' whether you decide to do community college or art institute.

Even if you do 1 online and 1 in class or something it will help I think - I am doing my whole degree by correspondence and have no contact with other students and basically no contact with the tutors - its all teaching yourself and it sucks arse!

Relocating does sound like an awesome idea, but will it make you happy? There isn't much point being unhappy and doing your studies - of corse it can't be a box of fluffies all the time otherwise everyone would get qualifications and there would be too many people fighting for our jobs right?

Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

---------------------------------------------------------------
My World Travelogue - Bloggity Blog
Updated April 2010!
--------------------------------------------------
Soon
NZ or OZ
Saving for a year - 18 months for a decent trip

Soonest
Trying my hand at short walks/tramps in NZ
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
mooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 06:51 AM   #8
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

ok fresh thoughts... It's 7am and I haven't gone to sleep yet!

Ok what about getting my degree in CANADA! The more I think about it the more I love it.
TheJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via MSN to mooloo

Do it!

It sounds like a great idea, but then again i've always wanted to live in Canada

Nah if it gets you motivated, means you get to live somewhere new and maybe it is cheaper there? Why not?!

Explore, Dream, Discover." Mark Twain

---------------------------------------------------------------
My World Travelogue - Bloggity Blog
Updated April 2010!
--------------------------------------------------
Soon
NZ or OZ
Saving for a year - 18 months for a decent trip

Soonest
Trying my hand at short walks/tramps in NZ
NZ or OZ Travel
Passport Stamps; Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Thailand, Cambodia, Singapore, Vietnam
mooloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

It won't be any easier, IMO, to get motivated for class in Canada than it will be here in the States. Honestly, school takes drive, motivation and perseverance to complete. It always helps immensely if you're interested in the subject, as it doesn't seem like "work." That is why I always recommend going with what you're interested in.

I'm about 1.5 years away from completing my graduate schooling to receive my Teaching Certificate. I took a lot of online coursework prior to this point in my basic stuff. My education classes will pretty much all be in class types, though, and I just started into those last semester. I really enjoyed the online classes. But then again, I'm a fairly self-motivated person. I have a relatively high degree of self discipline, so managed to avoid falling behind and trying to do everything at deadline time (the curse of most online students).

So, what's my advice? Well, go with something that interests you, and that shows solid evidence of being able to find a job in the field once you're out.

Bedtime: That program with the excellent job placement feature would be the one I would choose, if I were you.

Jake: Hmmm...not sure what to tell you. Your basic classes you'll take at any college will tend to be the general, often more boring ones. You are a very people-oriented person, though. So, I think the suggestion to try one quarter/semester in person is a good one. Give it a try, and see if that improves you view of it.

Good luck to you both!
worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote