Meet the World Flags - Page 2 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 04-30-2007, 03:16 PM   #21
Backcountry Betty

Send a message via Yahoo to ScarlotteDorian

wow, american's flag is true though. sad, really.

people travel to wonder at the height of the mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long course of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and they pass by themselves without wondering. -St. Augustine
ScarlotteDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #22
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to voyd Send a message via Yahoo to voyd
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJake View Post
China

I'm not sure how accurate this is since this site says that 73% of Chinese kids get enrolled in secondary education (which I believe goes up to Grade 12).
voyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 10:49 AM   #23
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

these flags are a couple of years old and china is changing RAPIDLY.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #24
celebrating jacks b-day!

Kinda bugs me how people like to point out how stupid they claim americans are. The countries education system is no worse that most of europes, the only difference is europe is too arrogant to accept it!
BelfastFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #25
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

we really don't learn anything much in school after the reading and writing bit... the rest we pick up from movies.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:46 PM   #26
Members

I absolutely hated my History & Science classes back in school...All the reading was so boring and drawn out and slow. Some of the teachers were ok, but they just seemed to really be as ancient as the text books that were shoved down my throat.

Now however I find myself loving all there is about history and sciences. 90% of the time I watch television I am either watching the History Channel or The Discovery Channel (The other 10% is the News Channels). I wish some of my classes were as entertaining as those programs
hurr111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #27
***** Senior *********

Location: WANTED! dead or at a meet-up ..... reward first round on Me
Send a message via Yahoo to Rozza

it worrys me that it takes gimmicks to make people take notice, everything has to be sold now, and still people buy it but leave it in the Box.

Its like the Make Poverty History campaigne in '05 before live8, lets do a year of campaigning and fundraising to save africa, then stop... wtf? why stop, it had such weight behind it, an entire year of headlines and being the only thing people talk about? Thats amazing in a society where everyones looking for new news, not important news, But no, one year is more Symbolic! Bollocks to that beurocratic puppet fuckwit geldof! i'm sure people in poverty really care for sybolism at the sake of conitnuity. "aid for a year? wow, thanks for thinking of a new way of shitting on me West"

Its like a form of moral masturbation, you give money, which does help, but the fuzzy warm feeling of compassion to your fellow human last alot longer than the aid that person gets. Again, you see these clever cartoons in the papers, or the internet or whatever and people think:

"you know what? I Am a bastard piece of corporate scum... but thanks to satire i've just realised this, so i'm not a bastard piece of corpoate scum... but the Government and the coporations are... Fyou London, Fyou Washington. hell that felt good, i suddenly feel compassion towards fellow man, if i didn't have to break this 5 i would give that homeless guy some money, what the fuck, i might as well recycle this news paper.... this is thirsty work, i'll refresh myself with a coke or a starbucks, then i'll phone jimmy and see if he's scored some speed for tonight."

I'm not really sorry for the rant... just sorry i forgot what i was ranting about... somthing to do with attention spans fickleness

Past Trip Albums:
Norway '05 Album

"'Kings. What a good idea.'Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tenedency to bend at the knees."
- Terry Prachett
Rozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to xanthuos Send a message via MSN to xanthuos Send a message via Yahoo to xanthuos

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli Lover View Post
I hate that song but I think Allen Jackson that he wrote around 9-11. I think it is Where were you when the world stopped turning..... or something like that. It is a beautiful song and I understand the meaning but the phrase " I don't know the difference between Irag and Iran" drives me nuts!
It's Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning by Alan Jackson. I liked the song because unlike that craptacular song by Toby Keith, it wasn't uberly patriotic or beating the drums for war. The lyrics aren't exactly as you quoted. In the song, he actually says "I'm not a real political man...I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you the difference in Iraq and Iran." It's unfortunate but true that many Americans don't know any differences between the two. Then again, I doubt most Europeans could expound on the many differences between the two either. What differences can you name off the top of your head other than the fact that they are two different countries?
Old 05-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #29
To Smart For Mensa

They are very similar countries in many respects... both border Turkey and the Persian Gulf, both are predominately Shiite Muslim countries.

Some of the Major differences would be in the geography of both, Iran being much bigger and mountainous but the biggest one would be the language difference. Iraq is Arabic and Iran, formerly being known as Persia, speaks Persian.

That's just off the top of my head... Not all americans are uneducated ignoramus's like the ones i've met in memphis....
Old 05-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #30
lover of Germany

Of course another difference is that Iran is more fundamentalist in its Islam at the moment whereas Iraq is more liberal-I am not judging, just saying.

Do to list: [color=blue][color=black] Australia, New Zealand, Austria India and Bolivia.

[color=blue][i][font=Verdana][color=black]"I'm just another stranger lookin' for the promised land"
expatben is offline   Reply With Quote