how young is too young - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 07-18-2003, 02:58 PM   #1
blah

ok, here's the deal, i am a 17 year old kid about to begin my senior year of highschool, a few months ago i convinced my dad to help me finance a month or so long backpacking trip to europe as a highschool graduation present, now as i am sure you all can understand, i am very excited about this trip, so recently i convinced my dad to help me finance a 2 week long trip to europe i have about 1000 dollars saved up and my dad is gonna pay for the air fare and rail pass if i go, is 17 too young to really enjoy backpacking in europe? i have heard that some hostels wont let anyone under 18 stay there, and also if i go i hope to be spending a week or so in amsterdam, and the age to buy weed there is 18, do they card there at all or anything? and finally how do europeans view 17 year olds, here in america you are still kind of a kid but do they give 17 year olds more respect and responsibily over there?
Old 07-18-2003, 04:13 PM   #2
TPunk Emeritus

Wow, 17 and already got da travel bug huh? not too shabby!!! but do not fear the Travel Punk posse can help...lololol...

You should not have any problem getting into bars in Amsterdam, it is a very liberal county, and many things are accepted. The information i have found is beer and wine are 16 and up, and hard booze is 18, now on the dope tip, if you wanna get technical it is not leagal anyway, its just the law is not enforced, so that would make it available to anyone at any age, but i am sure is a 12 year old went into a "coffee shop", they may not sell it to he/she. You have to understand though, that this exciting part of your adventure is not really a big deal to them, most problems with pot are caused by silly tourists who r not used to that liberal way of thinking.

Most European countries the legal age is 18 for da drinky drink, but wine is very acceptable for all ages in Italy, Spain, Portugal, France, Greece
Beer is very acceptable in Austria, Germany ^_^

So I do not think you should have to many problems, but if you do, just go to another bar and try again.

If you walk with confidence you will have no probs anywhere. B)

Hope that helps some, and dude ya gotta join da boards, we good peps here!!!! wicked smart tips and nuff respect for da members of TravelPunk.com :D

( the only thing you will have a prob with is gambling, that is 21 in most European countries that allow it)

I always thought it was funny that in America, you can die for your country at 17/18, but you can not chill'ax and drink a beer at a bar

Here in Canada the age is 18 or 19 across the country.....by the time you hit 21 its not really that big a deal anymore.

Canadian Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 05:48 PM   #3
blah

anyone know the smoking age in europe? i dont think id survive without my cancer sticks, if i cant buy them over there i guess ill just take a carton along with me, and from what i hear that might be a better idea because cigarette prices are terrible over there, i live in Va so ours cost like 2.75 a pack...heh
Old 07-18-2003, 06:02 PM   #4
TPunk Emeritus

If ya smoke then I would bring your own, cause they can get pretty dam $$$$$$$....and there ain't noth'n you can do about it.

If I am not mistaken, there is an old school member of this site about your age, I am sure she will have some tips for ya when she comes on, maybe she has looked into the age/travel issue..but i don't know for sure...check back to see.... :D

Old 07-18-2003, 10:02 PM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

aha, i believe you are addressing me, C-Dude!

Yep, I am heading out to the Big Bad Europe in 7 short months, and when it comes to things like smoking, drinking, etc, I unfortunately don't have many tips on how to get around the system. I don't smoke (minor heart defect), I do drink, but when I go, it will be legal, so I won't have a problem, and I am not as big into the skunk as I was, so I can't offer up much on that. My ex went over there last year and had no trouble buying, but please PLEASE don't try and sneak any back. They've got some pretty choice skunk in A-Dam, but believe me, it ain't worth the hassle. The only advice I can offer is this: Don't act like a jackass. You asked about the respect that Europeans give 17 year olds. Well as long as you don't abuse the liberal point of views that Europe has to offer, then you will do fine. But if you end up burnt out and passed out somewhere in the RLD, that respect is gonna be gone. Basically treat the people and environment with respect and you'll get it back. Just remember you are a guest in these people's country. It ain't America. It's not better/worse, it's just different. I had considered leaving for Europe this summer, while still being 17, but after a bit of reflection, decided to wait until I am 18. The hostels, the bars, it just seems like I would have more options when I reach the age of majority.

Anyway, hope that helps. Believe me, I know how frustrating it is trying to plan a trip when we are the age that we are. Good luck, anyway.

P.S. I don't know about being able to bring smokes into other countries while underage. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

crio
Old 07-18-2003, 11:43 PM   #6
Admin

I agree with CD on the key thing is really walking in, out, and around with confindence.

My cousin is the same age as I am and everywhere he goes, he get carded for his ID. If we´re at a bar and I ask for a drink, no problem. When they ask what he wants, he speaks without confidence and has a timid demeanor to him (naturally) and he gets carded all the dang time!

Theres a difference between saying, "can I have a beer?" and "I´ll take a BEER."

Also, you know that squint that Clint Eastwood, De niro, James Dean, etc... has? You know the look that has them looking like you want to leave them alone, they´re deep in thought, they´re analyzing everything, etc...When I was 18yrs old and started really getting into the acting thing, I adopted this look to make me look older. Now it´s just my natural look. That coupled with confidence will get you by just fine. I know it sounds funny, if not stupid, but it´s worked all of my life. If nothing else, it makes you look busy, and like you know where you´re going.

Always remember: "If you look like you belong, people won´t question you." Ask too many questions, look timid, look like you´re lost, and you´ll get carded- a lot.

As for the hostel thing, I´m not sure about the age factor, but i´d imagine that if they can sell a bed to someone with the cash and a passport, than they would. Why wouldn´t they ?
travelpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 08:04 PM   #7
TPunk Emeritus

When i did my europe trip I was 19 (just turned). I obviously didn't have a problem because I was of age, but I look young so I was surprised that I only got carded twice my entire trip. The attitude is very laid back in europe. In the british isles going to a pub is the way of life, in paris everyone sits on the steps of the sacre couer and has a bottle of wine with them, think of bavaria and you think of beer halls. I just found that it was so much more a part of there life than it is in north america. I agree with tp that having confidence is the key. If you stutter or don't look someone in the eye, they'll definataly peg you as underage. Don't know if your male or female. But if your a girl flirting with the doorman or bartender tends to help!! (not that I would do that )

Your very lucky that your dad is helping you finance the trip. Make sure that you keep in touch lots. Emails, postcards and phone cards. It's just a little way to thank your dad.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 12:54 AM   #8
Admin

Speaking of keeping in touch. I was in Spain for over a year a didn´t send one post card! How lame was that Bad, son, bad ! I´m sooooooooooooo lazy at mailing shit! I just dread that whole little inconvenience.

I spoke to my parents often and emailed the regulars, but do you think that people get hurt if you don´t mail them a postcard still even when you´ve had other forms of contact ?
Old 07-21-2003, 07:28 PM   #9
TPunk Emeritus

I don't think so, as long as there is some contact then I think thats ok..the thing is, I think parents and grandparents are proud when they can tell thier friends " My son has gone here" or "my daughter has gone there" i think it make them proud that we are able to do what we do.

Old 07-23-2003, 06:51 PM   #10
TPunk Emeritus

yay my mom is so funny. She kept all my emails and actually researched my trip as I was going on it. I remember calling her and she would be telling me what to see! But she came in useful. At one point i couldn't find an available room in galway, ireland so she researched for me and found a newly opened hostel (called the sleepzone) with lots of beds available. aaaah yes she was like my lonely planet.

When I came home she had made a binder for me with all my emails in it. i love looking at it. aaaah moms rock.
I have been to: Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, New Zealand , Australia, Fiji, Costa Rica, United States, England, Ireland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland , France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Austria, Vatican, Guatemala, Belize, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Colombia, Mexico, India, Nepal.

Where to Next? Iceland!
Diorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 04:58 AM   #11
Admin

Cool mom! Thats a really good idea about the email album B) Very creative, I must say.

Yay, mom !