A New Year's Tale - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 01-01-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Yoda

So I'll get it out of the way, again: happy new year, everyone!! I worked last night, and got some really bitchin' pics of the space needle lit up like a roman candle, fireworks pitching off of it like crazy. I'll post those when I get back to the other computer that has DSL, haha.

I apologize in advance if this is going to sound like a rant. The party I worked last night was, to put it lightly... a strain on almost every single ounce of patience that I could ever comprehend having. They were nice people, for the most part, but they were so unbelievably rowdy and messy that I was sure I was going to commit homicide at some point. I won't go through the whole diatribe, just a few highlights...

Like this: we ran out of vodka only 90 minutes into the party. 6 half-gallon bottles of vodka, no shit-- and the party was 90 people. And no one seemed to comprehend that fact, even though there was a big sign posted that there was no more vodka: "I'll have a red bull & vodka, please." "We haven't got any vodka, sorry. We ran out 2 hours ago." "Oh. Then I'll have a cosmopolitan." "But we haven't got any vodka." "But I really want vodka. Are you sure you don't have just a little bit left?" "No. There is no vodka. You will not be getting any vodka." If they still didn't comprehend I just threw up my hands and said sure, and made a gin martini or something else with rum in it instead, haha.

I was repeatedly grabbed and wished happy new year by various guys wanting to plant kisses on my cheek-- and this was NOT at midnight. One dude shoved his cheek in my face and demanded a kiss, which I *extremely reluctantly* gave only because his cheek was already pressed against my nose, when he turned his face lightning quick and got me on the lips. Right in front of him I made a show of rolling my eyes and wiping my mouth with the back of my hand and called him a cheeky (ha) bastard. I did laugh though.

Another guy wanted me to be his personal cocktail waitress all night. I laughed and told him no, then he offered me $100 to make sure that his glass was never empty. I raised my eyebrows and said "Okay, let's see it." Sure enough, he pulled out a wad of $100's and took one off of it and held it up. I still turned him down, because there was no time to wait on one person hand and foot when I don't give a shit about the money.

At midnight everyone went out onto the observation deck, on the 35th floor of a building downtown, to watch the fireworks show. It was nice, and we were even allowed (by my boss) to have a glass of champagne at midnight. Later though, I was out there gathering up empty glasses and found 3 or 4 that had been dropped OUTSIDE THE OBSERVATION DECK CAGE, sitting mere inches from the ledge. They broke several glasses that night, about 5 of which we didn't find-- people threw them off the balcony. From the 35th floor. With tons of pedestrians and parked cars (and cops!) below.

They also fucking TRASHED the room, so at the end of the night we had to crawl around on our hands and knees picking up all the crap on the floor.

Oddly enough, some old friends of mine were among the guests, and they tried to make me "join the party", which makes things doubly difficult. They also wanted to "introduce" me to a friend of theirs . The friend was a nice guy when sober, but later kept asking me what time I would be done with work so we could "go somewhere to talk." LOL It was lovely to see my friends but I hate it when this happens, because 9 times out of 10, when people see that a friend or even vague acquaintance of theirs is the manager of an event, they assume that I'm going to go out of my way to do special favors for them (like getting them drinks so they don't have to wait in line at the bar with everyone else.)

I worked from 4pm to 4am and finally got into bed around 7am.

Even though it was a pain in the arse of immense proportions, I did still have fun for the most part and if nothing else it'll be extremely entertaining to look back upon, and it makes for a good story. Although I should say that I've managed high school proms and sorority formal dances that were less of a challenge than this event.
Old 01-01-2005, 08:34 PM   #2
***** gear guru

Send a message via ICQ to kingcrazylegs Send a message via AIM to kingcrazylegs Send a message via MSN to kingcrazylegs Send a message via Yahoo to kingcrazylegs

That's a great story Jeanie! Makes me glad that I didn't go out for New Years though...

all that is not given is lost
kingcrazylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
TPunk Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to pinion

Quote:
Originally posted by space virgin@Jan 1 2005, 09:20 PM
They broke several glasses that night, about 5 of which we didn't find-- people threw them off the balcony.* From the 35th floor.* With tons of pedestrians and parked cars (and cops!) below.
And thats why I'm never going to the Space Needle again

Good story! Sounds like you're New Years was more eventful then mine, and you were working!

Happy New Years Jeanie

Can I get a Vodka Martini?
And I never will play the wild rover no more
pinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 08:46 AM   #4
Don't cut the red wire...

Send a message via MSN to The Monsignor Send a message via Yahoo to The Monsignor

Oh, you're out of that?.. how bout a screwdriver then?? :greenguy:

Make war, not love! It's safer!

The Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 09:49 AM   #5
TPunk Emeritus

wow those guys drunk some vodka

as for my new years working in the pub it was ok i could dring lager all night payed for by my boss and i earned £50 which i donated half to the tsunami appeal, which SV you inspired me to do!!!

FANCY A READ...TPUNK BOOK CLUB CAN BE FOUND HERE

what goes around comes around
beergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
Members

hahah that's hilarious! I'm a bartender too and I was working New Years, but it was DEAD! The cops were all over the place and everyone was too scared to drive, so I was able to close the bar down early at like 10:30, and went to an enormous party my friends were at and partied, woooooooo.
griffster122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
Minister of Offense

Send a message via AIM to omisan Send a message via Yahoo to omisan

Awwww.. sorry to hear about the ordeal, but happy New Year anyway!

I guess my night was sort of the opposite. I was getting smashed with the bar staff at a local venue.

Find out @ http://omidabroad.blogspot.com

omisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2005, 01:49 PM   #8
I'll rock your socks off

Went to a huge house party with a bunch of kiwis and aussies out in east acton. It was cool, I got to witness people doing lines, never seen that before. Then we went downtown with a big group and counted down in piccadilly circus, fireworks, snogging, oh shit it was great.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did."
-T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

bellelass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 09:41 AM   #9
Yoda

Quote:
Originally posted by bellelass@Jan 2 2005, 09:49 PM
Went to a huge house party with a bunch of kiwis and aussies out in east acton.* It was cool, I got to witness people doing lines, never seen that before.* Then we went downtown with a big group and counted down in piccadilly circus, fireworks, snogging, oh shit it was great.
You still sound a little under the influence there, babe! And wait til you see people doing lines on a naked woman's bum or belly. Jesus.

Quote:
I guess my night was sort of the opposite. I was getting smashed with the bar staff at a local venue.
If the party attendees had anything to say about it, I would have been doing the same thing... But I can't imagine having to work my ass off half- or more drunk.

pinion-- fortunately it wasn't at the Space Needle, it was at another building downtown. So for anyone partying in Pioneer Square at 2nd & James on New Year's: I hope you or your car didn't get hit with a champagne flute! haha.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:27 AM   #10
Members

what's the deal with every poser and they're mother all of a sudden drinking nothing but Vodka and redbull??

congratulations on not committing murder tho.
phreferol is offline   Reply With Quote