dumbest things you've heard tourists say - Page 3 - TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards!

Go Back   TravelPUNK Backpacker College Student Budget Travel Message Boards! > Members Lounge > Budget Travel Community > General Discussions
Register All Albums FAQDonate Community Calendar

General Discussions ANYTHING GOES HERE, BABY! Woot! Woot! Need I say more?!

BOOYAHKASHAA!

Raileurope.com: See Europe by train

Old 11-01-2007, 10:57 AM   #41
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

a lovely country that's round on the sides and high in the middle.

tpunk gallery * twitter
pinknic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #42
Artist of Life

The dumbest thing I heard... (sorry Americans) was:

American Girl under Effiel Tower: "You know why these French people hate us? Because they want to BE us. And because they can't BE us, they HATE us."
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #43
No one regrets traveling

Send a message via AIM to joe7f Send a message via Skype™ to joe7f

In a small way I think the American girl is right. In the early 1900s the French was, if you'll excuse the expression, lingua franca for Europe and arguably for the world. With the US and Canada becoming economic powers largely untouched by two World Wars that devastated the continent, English emerged as the dominant 2nd language for business. America replaced France as the most influential nation on global culture.

Americans don't act any differently in France (ie we are assholes* everywhere we go) but most tourists from the continent, will only complain about Parisians, not people from London, Munich, Rome, Florence, and the like.

I think most French that "hate us" do so because of people like that girl under the Eiffel Tower. I don't think the French want to be us (the exact opposite, I think there is a visceral disgust for our "lowbrow" culture), they just want to be in our position. And actually, with one exception, all the French people I met while traveling were quite friendly (certainly beating out my experience with Americans and Canadians)

--Joey

*Of course this works both ways, I remember Chirac being a sore loser after the 2012 Olympics were awarded to London saying something like "And you know they have the worst food in Europe! ...well maybe outside of Finland." Yeah finding good food in London was not a problem for me, piss off

Countries visited: USA, Netherlands, Norway, France, Switzerland, Germany, Spain (and Gibraltar), Italy, Belgium, Hungary, Austria, Ireland, UK, Japan, Canada , Portugal, Czech Republic, Poland, Andorra, Croatia, Montenegro

Next up: Mongolia, China

"I sought trains; I found passengers" - Paul Theroux

Help Travelpunk's continued existence with a small donation
joe7f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #44
TPunk Moderator

Send a message via AIM to pinknic38 Send a message via Yahoo to pinknic38 Send a message via Skype™ to pinknic38

"don't hate us cos you ain't us!!!"

I kid, I kid!

anyway, Joey I think you're right. The whole thing makes me wonder iwhy Americans act like assholes and why the need for the blatant disregard for other cultures/countires. America is kind of over in a situation on it's own, and bordered by Canada and many Americans frequent there (which could be the confusion of is Canada another country? of course the answer is obvious to us, but when you're young and desensitized to the lack of "separation", then maybe it's a genuine mistake...embarassing never the less). but Europe has all of these countries crammed together with history and cool architecture and everyone knows like six languages. in America there's English and then of course Spanish, but not a lot of people we well traveled (unless you count traveling to different states). in fact I know some people who haven't ever left the county they grew up in -- and have no desire to do so!

I think it's people like that, or are raised by people like that and don't know differently, who behave like morons and create a bad rap for the rest of us (well, it isn't just those people who have createsd such an image for america, I am sorry to say ). So maybe it isn't so purposeful how many Americans act when they do get out and about in this fabulous world... it's more ignroance than anything I think. which is why a lot of these responses/dumb things from the question I originally asked came from fellow Americans.

also I wonder, to those of you fellow TPers from outside the US, do you all have a decent amount of people who have never traveled or don't really leave the area they live in? I just wonder if this "hermit" behavior is normal, or just an American thing.

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 11-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #45
Rabidly Xenophilic

If you're in Ohio you can visit London, Miami, Athens, and Paris without even leaving the state...
Old 11-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #46
always trippin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinknic38 View Post
OMG or anywhere, really! I certainly appreciate shoes, and enjoy heels... but when NECESSARY. as much as everyone wants to get ho'ed up to go out to the clubs when they're in Europe or wherever, come on! it's all fun and games until you miss the last train to your hostel and have to talk the dirty streets of madrid barefoot because your arches hurt and you've got blisters, as a friend of mine learned, quite unfortunately, when we were in madrid.

stupid!

Actually, I myself walked through a LOT of New York barefoot after running to a broadway show in heels (we were late)...post-show I was like screw it, I'm losing the shoes, and walked for maybe 50 blocks. Probably won't happen again.

But the heels while actually hauling massive luggage is just...well, I just don't understand it.

Check out my band!
freespiritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:26 PM   #47
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maracle View Post
If you're in Ohio you can visit London, Miami, Athens, and Paris without even leaving the state...
and there's also Cuba, which is a tiny town in the south west part of the state!

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 11-01-2007, 01:51 PM   #48
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via MSN to kiwichick

Quote:
also I wonder, to those of you fellow TPers from outside the US, do you all have a decent amount of people who have never traveled or don't really leave the area they live in? I just wonder if this "hermit" behavior is normal, or just an American thing.
i think NZers are quite keen when it comes to travel really, perhaps because we are so small and isolated- which is a lil backwards really cos it means travel is expensive and harder in general. most people i know have atleast been to australia and OEs particularly to europe or america are seen almost as a right of passage (admittedly not everyone does them still) and when i started planning my trip to europe i realised just how many of my family friends had travelled etc.
i did find in europe and particularly england however that many people travelled very little or not at all considering the relative ease of it with (no offense intended) many english in particular not seeing why they would want to go outside of england (or english resort complexs ) when they had everything they wanted right there!
kiwichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:12 PM   #49
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

I don't think Europeans hate Americans, we tend to look down our noses at Americans thinking we're far more cultured and in tune with the world at large while Americans are dumb and self centered (we get shows like "my sweet 16" and MTV in general doesn't paint a good picture of America) in that they know nothing outside of America.

At the moment English men (hooligans) are the most hated tourist in in the world.

Americans that travel are well aware of the reputation that they have and I've always found that they at least try to good visitors. English men don't care what the locals think.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #50
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTurk View Post
we get shows like "my sweet 16" and MTV in general doesn't paint a good picture of America
god you're so right, MTV is awful with that stuff. shows like "my sweet 16" and some of the other ones they had like "rich girls" (anyone remember that show? completely ridiculous), give off the impression that everyone is just dumb with a bunch of money to blow.

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 11-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #51
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Quote:
a lovely country that's round on the sides and high in the middle.

Every time I think of Ohio I think of the AmEx commercial with Seinfeld and Superman where they went to see the "Oh Yes, Wyoming" Play. In the song they sing "Oh NO Ohio... Oh Yes, Wyoming, with the birds and the trees and ... something"

2009-2014: February - Mexico (Cancun x 3, Cozumel x 1, Mazatlan x 2

2014 : Europe: Norway, Denmark, Hungary, Czech Rep, Germany, France, England

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

2021: Europe?

Need a Railpass for that Trip to Europe?
Or Maybe a Hostel Reservation?
Frog Creek Brewing -- Upcoming Microbrewery

Sijuki@gmail.com
Sijuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 05:00 PM   #52
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijuki View Post
"Oh NO Ohio... Oh Yes, Wyoming, with the birds and the trees and ... something"
that reminds me of what we used to call my old college. I went to Ohio Northern so we used to call it OhNo

haha. very appropriate.

tpunk gallery * twitter
Old 11-01-2007, 05:32 PM   #53
An Optimistic Realist.

Send a message via AIM to Sijuki Send a message via MSN to Sijuki Send a message via Yahoo to Sijuki

Quote:
that reminds me of what we used to call my old college. I went to Ohio Northern so we used to call it OhNo

haha. very appropriate.

I agree... I would use the term OhNo for almost anything in Ohio. Especially a college.

2015 : US:Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Joshua Tree NP, Salton Sea, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Mt. Rushmore. 20 states. Europe: Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Prague, Krakow, Warsaw, Ireland (month driving around), Northern Ireland, Edinburgh.

Sijuki@gmail.com
Old 11-01-2007, 09:10 PM   #54
TPunk Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sijuki View Post
I would use the term OhNo for almost anything in Ohio. Especially a college.
You would...you're from Michigan! But, you're my friend, and had the good sense to get out of the state, so I won't hold your opinions against you...

worldwidemike
worldwidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 PM   #55
An Optimistic Realist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidemike View Post
You would...you're from Michigan! But, you're my friend, and had the good sense to get out of the state, so I won't hold your opinions against you...

worldwidemike

You know, I love my state... I just hate the useless morons that get elected to run it. It's like an old horse, you should take it out back in shoot it.

Sijuki@gmail.com
Old 11-02-2007, 12:56 AM   #56
To Smart For Mensa

Send a message via AIM to TheJake Send a message via MSN to TheJake Send a message via Yahoo to TheJake Send a message via Skype™ to TheJake

wow are we good at derailing shit!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:47 AM   #57
TPunk Emeritus

My Sweet 16 is the absolute bottom rung of entertainment. It's sole purpose should be to identify these self-absorbed disgusting excuses for human beings so the entire family can be deported to a Siberian gulag. The kids are horrible, and the parents are even more horrible for raising such spoiled, evil pond scum. They absolutely disgust me.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

"The plural of anecdote is not data"
LiveFreeorDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #58
TPunk Recognized

Send a message via Skype™ to MeTurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFreeorDie View Post
My Sweet 16 is the absolute bottom rung of entertainment. It's sole purpose should be to identify these self-absorbed disgusting excuses for human beings so the entire family can be deported to a Siberian gulag. The kids are horrible, and the parents are even more horrible for raising such spoiled, evil pond scum. They absolutely disgust me.
It's like rubber necking at a car crash. You just watch with your jaw on the ground, thinking this can't be real. It's on Irelands only Irish speaking channel (which goes to show how cheap it is) whenever I get back from work.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #59
TPunk Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFreeorDie View Post
so the entire family can be deported to a Siberian gulag
haha now THAT would make a great reality show right there. Survivor: Siberian deportations.

tpunk gallery * twitter

Last edited by pinknic38; 11-02-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #60
Artist of Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTurk View Post
At the moment English men (hooligans) are the most hated tourist in in the world.
Actually on this trip, I was quite surprised to find out just how many people hated Italian tourists. Apparently in Ios, Greece... Italian tourists tend to rape girls.

I know!!! It's like... whaaaaat?
Jules: "You know, like Kane in 'Kung Fu'...go places...meet people...get in adventures."

Trips (only counting recreational travel):
FIRST TRIP (2005): FIRST EUROTRIP EVER! UK, France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Holland
SECOND TRIP (2007): First Solo Trip! Greece, Turkey, Syria, Spain
2008: China (Beijing, Shanghai, Yangshuo) ...right before the Olympics!
2009: Japan & HK, Southern Spain
[size=1]2010: All over Lebanon, Ibiza (Spain), Oktoberfest (Germany), Thailand.
2011: India (Goa), Jordan, Jerusalem, San Sebastian (Spain), Amsterdam (again), London, Driving from Vancouver to L.A. (stopping in Portland, Seattle, San Fran and all the little stops), Montpellier (France), Geneva and Lausanne (Switzerland)

"Bite off more than you can chew, then chew it."
Canadian Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote